Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

• Paid Members

I mentioned it Previously, but i cannot take Richards seriously as Champion due to him losing 3 or 4 title matchs before he took it from edwards, (I think twice to tyler black and at least the one agaisnt Roderick Strong). And again its a hard thing to try and do, Roderick won it due to Tyler leaving, and you couldnt really have him lose straight away or else Strong would of looked stupid. It should of been a longer reign for strong (I see Edwards is good, but i didnt see the title change coming at all, and not in a good way), with richards building up to a re-match to take the title from him.

Happy to see the Briscoes back in the tag title picture, must be said i was expecting ANX to take the belts before, although i'm guessing was it because one of them picked up an injury, was it? When is the WGTT contracts up? Guessing they're off to TNA soon? I wouldnt of minded seeing Charlie Haas in singles for ROH.

Also very happy to see Kevin Steen back. Drop Davey on his head and take the belt from him.

I mentioned it Previously, but i cannot take Richards seriously as Champion due to him losing 3 or 4 title matchs before he took it from edwards, (I think twice to tyler black and at least the one agaisnt Roderick Strong). And again its a hard thing to try and do, Roderick won it due to Tyler leaving, and you couldnt really have him lose straight away or else Strong would of looked stupid. It should of been a longer reign for strong (I see Edwards is good, but i didnt see the title change coming at all, and not in a good way), with richards building up to a re-match to take the title from him.

Happy to see the Briscoes back in the tag title picture, must be said i was expecting ANX to take the belts before, although i'm guessing was it because one of them picked up an injury, was it? When is the WGTT contracts up? Guessing they're off to TNA soon? I wouldnt of minded seeing Charlie Haas in singles for ROH.

Also very happy to see Kevin Steen back. Drop Davey on his head and take the belt from him.

ROH has a bit of a habit having their champions lose multiple times before winning the belt though - I'm sure Black and Strong in particular, and to a lesser extent McGuinness, Dragon, Gibson and Homicide all lost multiple times before finally winning the big one...

Low-Ki - First Champion

Xavier - First Title shot

Samoa Joe - First Title shot

Austin Aries - First Title shot

CM Punk - Fourth Title shot

James Gibson - Fourth Title shot

Bryan Danielson - Third Title shot

Homicide - Eighth Title shot

Takeshi Morishima - First Title shot

Nigel McGuinness - Seventh Title shot

Jerry Lynn - Third Title shot

Austin Aries - Seventh Title shot since losing the belt to Punk

Tyler Black - Seventh Title shot

Roderick Strong - Fifteenth Title shot

Eddie Edwards - First Title shot

Davey Richards - Fifth Title shot

• Paid Members
it's only done for comedy here, surely?

Indeed, but clearly it failed. Too much Private Eye, that's my trouble.

EDIT : Re DG:USA/ EVOLVE having their own thread - probably needs to happen, but I'm buggered if I'm going to do it, for obvious reasons

Edited by Dearly Devoted Dexter

• Paid Members
ROH has a bit of a habit having their champions lose multiple times before winning the belt though - I'm sure Black and Strong in particular, and to a lesser extent McGuinness, Dragon, Gibson and Homicide all lost multiple times before finally winning the big one...

There is nothing wrong in having multiple shots, but just make it Storyline related. Many of the guys would of have various shots, only to finally win it. For example Mcguinness won it after various shots, but whilst in a storyline with morishima (although again that was one or two shots to late i think in retrospect). Speaking of which, does anybody else think Claudio should of won the ROH title at some point (back in 2008 was it?).

Davey had lost various times to 2 former champions, before beating his tag partner after a direct challenge, which other than the actual wrestling factor, didnt really have any story/momentum to it. He should of been champion no doubt, just either should of had some momentum going in, a long running story line (looking back most likely agaisnt Roddy for giving him a concussion back at final battle and/or for taking the belt from tyler when he could not do so).

Edwards won it , (to me personally) in suprise sort of way. I said it earlier, i like Edwards, i think hes a great wrestler, but i didnt see him in the world title picture at all, and although i'm sure he may of won the ROH title at some other time i dont really see why he won it.

I really wish Kevin Kelly would stop saying "He soars and scores" Does my head in! Just call the dives by there names.

Chris Hero has signed for the Philly event, Sounds like hes taking bookings before he signs with WWE at the end of January.

Also the new ROH dvds cover is awesome! Hope they keep it up.

• Paid Members

There is nothing wrong in having multiple shots, but just make it Storyline related. Many of the guys would of have various shots, only to finally win it. For example Mcguinness won it after various shots, but whilst in a storyline with morishima (although again that was one or two shots to late i think in retrospect). Speaking of which, does anybody else think Claudio should of won the ROH title at some point (back in 2008 was it?).

Davey had lost various times to 2 former champions, before beating his tag partner after a direct challenge, which other than the actual wrestling factor, didnt really have any story/momentum to it. He should of been champion no doubt, just either should of had some momentum going in, a long running story line (looking back most likely agaisnt Roddy for giving him a concussion back at final battle and/or for taking the belt from tyler when he could not do so).

Edwards won it , (to me personally) in suprise sort of way. I said it earlier, i like Edwards, i think hes a great wrestler, but i didnt see him in the world title picture at all, and although i'm sure he may of won the ROH title at some other time i dont really see why he won it.

McGuinness winning the title in the October 2007 was set because ROH were originally planning a third UK tour that month. It was only when that tour fell through they instead organised the financially disastrous west coast tour and moved Nigel's win to the Edison PPV taping.

• Paid Members

McGuinness winning the title in the October 2007 was set because ROH were originally planning a third UK tour that month. It was only when that tour fell through they instead organised the financially disastrous west coast tour and moved Nigel's win to the Edison PPV taping.

Fair enough, i just remeber at the time he'd had the big title match in Japan which although it was in japan, seemed like a good chance to give him the title. When he finally won it, it did seem a bit "......oh right, thats good then", rather than the huge news it should of been.

Its a shame that they never did come over again, although i remember ROH mentioning the UK fans should keep a looking for UK related news, before the TV deal was announced, so maybe in the future? Plus a Nigel Title win in the UK would of been pure amazing!

• Paid Members

The problem with Richards title win can be traced back to the inordinate amount of time they took to put the belt on Black. Black was ready for the title by mid 2009 at the latest; but they couldn't do that because it was Gabe's idea, plus Silkin (being the great wrestling mind that he is) wanted the belt on Lynn. The point is that by the time they eventually got round to putting the belt on Tyler in Feb 2010, Richards was the main guy. This kight have all smoothed itself out if he'd been around for GBH 9 - but of course, he was in Japan, so Strong got the belt on the grounds there was no-one else it made much sense to put it on. However, to have simply have Richards beat Strong at FB 10 would have cut Strong off at the knees to all intents and purposes , so he [Richards] ended up losing that one as well.

As for the future, Richards hasn't done much with the belt to date, but then given all the fiddle-faddling that took place after the SBS acqusition, you can't dump all of the blame for that in his lap. The problem has been in part a lack of viable top-liners. El Generico inevitably got wheeled out, as did Strong. A lot depends now on how they build to Steen/ Richards program. If they've got any sense they'll hold off on the first match until DBD time, but then they've got to find something for Richards to do in the ring until then. If Hero sticks around long enough they might give him a shot; they might get a couple of singles matches out of Haas and Benjamin before cutting them loose (they're supposed to be under contract until Spring 2013, but I can't see the point in either side wanting to adhere to it). Will Steen win the belt? It's not as unlikely a prospect as it once was, and it looks as though a large segment of ROH fans are pushing for it.

Incidentally I always thought Claudio leaving when he did saved the bookers from a bit of a headache - after the 2010/11 he had a World Title reign had to be on the cards surely?

• Paid Members

It just seems really stupid to me.

I never really saw the point the the Jerry Lynn Title run, i mean i get that they were trying a really small "The wrestler" style related title run (veteran wrestler takes the belt, IIRC thats what the idea was anyway), but to be honest if you look back further than that it may not of worked.

Tyler was "The next big thing" to the IWC, (well the ROH fans anyway), which has loads of them shouting "put the belt on Tyler" during his tag team in the AOTF, which wouldnt of work straight away as he hadent been about that long. Even after his fued with Jacobs was out of the way, he could of done with a few more high profile wins reall, (I think he lost to samoa joe which is sort of expected, around this time). Again not sure why Lynn won it, but they could of had Aries take it rather than Lynn building up to the eventual Tyler win. IIRC didnt the do some sort of screw job angle with Tyler where he didnt win it? As that seemed like that right time for a change, but it ended being that they had dragged it out to long (see also i think the Claudio potential title run many a year ago).

Whats the deal with Hero now anyway, i'm guessing hes only about until hopfully his wwe stuff works out?

• Paid Members
Not sure how true it is, but I read somewhere Hero has WWE testing scheduled in February.

Aparently he failed his first test some time last year, and is being retested some time between now and feb. He failed due to "high testostrone" levels. Not 100% sure, but to me it show wwe are highley intested in having the KOW as a team or else they wouldnt bother retesting him surely?

• Paid Members

The reason that the belt was put on Lynn was literally that Silkin thought it would be a great idea. Gabeford disagreed, and that was one of the reasons why he got the boot in Oct 2008.

Kind of ironic that Hero got bounced for a failed roids test - the reason he went on them in the first place was presumably to give hima better chance of being accepted by WWE! :laugh: That's old "Left Foot" Laurinitis for you