Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

Let's just hope Nigel's title reign ends with a bang rather than a whimper. It could potentially be his last match in ROH, if he decides not to sign a new deal.

See, I thought about this today and I can't quite decide, but I think Nigel has to be back in ROH now. Without the exposure of a company like ROH to push him up into WWE or TNA, he might not get the deal that he'd be hoping for, plus the extra teaching of being on TV would surely help his status in either company. So I predict that Nigel will clear up his injury, return to ROH for a little while, put over the new champ and then, as Gabe put it, "go and make his money".

• Paid Members

With regards to the Sweeney thing, here's what PWInsider had to say :

Larry Sweeney was pulled from this weekend's events. There's been a lot of talk about it. I had heard on Thursday that Sweeney had been suspended but when I asked ROH management, they declined to comment and one told me that wasn't true.

Sweeney had been working in a backstage capacity, but I believe those duties will be curtailed (as has Austin Aries' backstage role) as Adam Pearce is now working full-time for the company.

The Decline and Fall of ROH.....

• Paid Members

The commentator reminded me of Mike Adamle, not through blunders but through his style and vocals. Overall that debut show was a fairly tepid affair, ROH didn't feel like a "must see" promotion, it was slow and the characters didn't translate well through the promos, other than Kenny King and Jimmy Jacobs. The whole show felt relaxed, and reminded me very much of the Dusty Rhodes booked TNA era. And that's not a good thing.

The commentator reminded me of Mike Adamle, not through blunders but through his style and vocals. Overall that debut show was a fairly tepid affair, ROH didn't feel like a "must see" promotion, it was slow and the characters didn't translate well through the promos, other than Kenny King and Jimmy Jacobs. The whole show felt relaxed, and reminded me very much of the Dusty Rhodes booked TNA era. And that's not a good thing.

damn that dusty rhodes booking era it was vile.

anyhow i just watched saturdays show and i werent overtly impressed that weird 4 fall 6 man match was just a disaster zone.

kenny king is growing on me mind and i hope nigel drops the strap to jerry lynn

I just finished watching episode one of the HDNet show and I can't help but feel disappointed.

The Good: There were a lot of little things I liked about the show, the camera work in particular was very good (aside from the colossal chair blunder during the Black/Aries match) as they seemed to use a lot of unorthodox shots and camera positions that you rarely ever see on wrestling shows these days. The entrance and ringside area despite being relatively basic looked professional and gave the impression that this is a promotion which forgoes the flashy bullshit and just lets the wrestling do the talking. I also liked that the backstage interviewer had a tattoo sleeve on at least one of his arms, I've certainly never seen that before.

All of those little things made me feel as though this was going to be a very different type of show and that the promotion had invested a lot of time and thought into making the show which really stands out.

The Bad: Aside from Titus everyone (regardless of size, shape or style) had exactly the same Metalcore entrance music, themes are supposed to be about establishing character but what's the point if everyone sounds the same? The pre-match introductions were an okay tool for introducing newcomers to the audience but most of them were cringeworthy, I'd only seen three of the guys on the card before and was familiar with one or two others by name but I firmly believe that people who can't talk should never be forced to. The matches themselves were really nothing special, I wasn't bored by anything but at the same time I wasn't entertained either, everything came across as being very sterile and I never once got the impression that anyone was really trying hard to win the match, it was also obvious that the crowd wasn't particularly absorbed in the action either as they rarely came alive for anything.

I've read a lot about the problems backstage in ROH but I can't really find much wrong here which can be attributed to 'bad booking', I was led to believe that Black and Jacobs were bitter enemies who wanted to kill each other yet their match barely reflected that at all, unless the pair were explicitly told to play it safe I can't understand why their encounter was so devoid of passion. I can't for the life of me figure out exactly who this shows audience is supposed to be, I don't think that an existing fan would be impressed by this at all and a newcomer, based on this first episode, would probably dismiss it as 'boring'.

• Paid Members
The Bad: Aside from Titus everyone (regardless of size, shape or style) had exactly the same Metalcore entrance music, themes are supposed to be about establishing character but what's the point if everyone sounds the same?

Did Titus use Addicted To Love?

I think the HDNet shows should have their own weekly thread like TNA and WWE shows do. I'll be watching the weekly TV and PPVs but not following the DVDs. Maybe this should be the ROH DVD thread? What do you think? I know haven't posted in this thread before so have little say compared to the more die hard ROH fans but it'll be easier for newcomers to the promotion.

anyhow i just watched saturdays show and i werent overtly impressed that weird 4 fall 6 man match was just a disaster zone.

Am I reading this wrong? It makes it sound like you've seen the show from NYC? Do you have some insane hookup on ROH masters? :laugh:

• Paid Members
arent roh doing an angle where they play danielsons music or something. or danielson asks for his song to be played ?

After either next weeks or the week afters taping Danielson came out and asked for 'Final Countdown' to be played one last time and everyone in the locker room came out and sang it with him.

It was never taped though and only done for the live crowd.

• Paid Members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBjpnh4SGF4...&playnext=1

Just watched episode 1, as it's on YouTube now. I hate watching wrestling on the PC and found the show pretty lacking in emotion compared to the DVDs, probably due to it sounding like a dead crowd (Mike Johnson on PWinsider blamed it on the setup not the live crowd). I'll probably watch ep 2, to see how Nigel comes across. I loved the camerawork, and picture quality, even via streaming.

Yeah the look of the show is really great, it's mainly the dead sounding crowd that's ruining it. Nothing spectacular on the first show. Albright looked BLAND BLAND BLAND though. Love the new commentator, he's still got a lot to learn, but sounds very proffesional. ROH just needs to find it's feet, hopefully by the 3/4th set of tapings they'll have a good idea of what they should be doing.

• Paid Members
March 25th: ROH officials are happy to announce that standout Canadian talents Frankie the Mobster, the Super Smash Brothers, and LuFisto will be a part of ROH