Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

Has anyone tried to update their account to the paid recently? There are a few shows I am after so I figure its a good time to join up to take advantage of the additional 15% off you get but whenever I try to do this I get a message which says that the option is not available on my account. Anyone else come across this?

Probably best if you email them, They should sort it out for you

• Paid Members

ROH Glory By Honor IX (11 September 2010)

Glory-By-Honor-9.jpg

After what seems like an age of realistically pointless shows (but is really only a couple of months), ROH brings us it's next 'major' iPPV event, presented in front of the usual enthusiastic audience in the Manhattan Centre in New York City. After a brilliant opening video package which gives the background to the main matches, the show jumps straight into action with the Briscoes taking on the All Night Express in 2 separate singles matches. I'm not normally a fan of Briscoes singles efforts (still haunted by the memory of what seems like 47 obligatory Jay Briscoe ROH World title shots), but Jay Briscoe vs. Kenny King is actually a bright, heated and enjoyable little opener. Mark Briscoe vs. Rhett Titus is longer and not quite as good, but still a perfectly acceptable encounter.

I'd almost forgotten that Balls Mahoney had become involved against The Embassy on the last New York show back in May, but we finally get some follow-up as he teams with 'Littlest Lumberjack' Grizzly Redwood 4 months later to face Necro Butcher & Erick Stevens. What starts as a red hot, wild and fun brawl all over ringside, however, quickly settles down into a regular tag affair. As you could probably imagine, this is then pretty horrendous and completely devoid of heat since it isn't what anyone wanted to see. The decision to tone down the hardcore element is almost definitely down to the fact it is followed by the next El Generico & Colt Cabana vs. Kevin Steen & Steve Corino bloodbath. This time, the bitter enemies go into war in a Double Chain match. Like virtually everything else in this, the best feud of 2010, I thought this was excellent and the perfect blend between match and angle. It contains some fantastic visuals and imagery which crank up the drama to the max, creating a compelling and emotional thriller.

During what I presume was the live show's interval, we are shown a 10-minute sit-down interview with Davey Richards. He talks about his career in wrestling to date, what caused him to want to step away and what still drives him, before he reveals he is withdrawing his plans to retire at the end of the year in order to continue fighting and win the World Championship. I don't usually think much of his 'pro wrestling' promos, but speaking naturally in a setting like this, he comes across much better and you are interested in what he has to say.

The second half kicks of with Richards' partner Eddie Edwards against The Embassy's Shawn Daivari in an adequate but unremarkable ROH Television Title bout, followed by what would later turn out to be Austin Aries' final match in ROH. In what is billed as the 'Battle of the Best', he is pitted against 'Fallen Angel' Christopher Daniels in a match that fails to live up to its tag and is actually awkward and pretty poor. A contest that undoubtedly does live up to expectations, however, is the tag team 'dream' encounter matching ROH World Tag Team Champions the Kings of Wrestling against former WWE Tag Team Champions Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin. It's an attractive-looking battle of a pair believed by many to be the best tag team in the world at this time and a duo that were once billed as the 'World's Greatest Tag Team'. Naturally, this turns out to be a tremendous, all-engrossing match which the live crowd go batshit crazy for, particularly signature spots from Haas and Benjamin they remember from TV. Right up there with the Kings' bouts with the Motor City Machine Guns and the iPPV bouts against the Briscoes as one of the very best tag team matches of the year. Thrilling stuff.

After that, the main event World Title bout between Tyler Black and Roderick Strong comes off as a bit flat. That isn't to say it's a bad match, since it is definitely more than satisfactory, but does have something missing. There's a nice little role for Terry Funk as the guest enforcer, but the fans aren't sure what to make of it the match. Tyler, on his last night in the company, is playing up the 'heel leaving with the belt' role to wind them up and Strong isn't exactly seeking applause with manager Truth Martini and the House of Truth trying to become involved. It's also fair to say there is an inevitability about it all, and it just isn't as good as the bout these 2 had for the belt in the main event of the last New York show. Still, a good match and a fine way to close the show...

... or so it seems. The lights go out and Homicide makes his return to the company in the same building he won the title. With the crowd lapping it up, the show actually does "fade to black" with 'The Notorious 187' and the champion standing nose-to-nose in the ring.

So, all-in-all, this is another splendid iPPV event from ROH. There is quality to be found up and down the card and the tag match is worth going out of your way to see. There's a whole load of bonus pre- and post-show promos to be found as extras on the disc, but that is only ad added nicety to something which is already an essential release.

Full show results:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Kenny King beat Jay Briscoe with the Royal Flush

Mark Briscoe beat Rhett Titus with the cut-throat driver

The Embassy (Erick Stevens{W, Ghana-rhea} & Necro Butcher) beat Balls Mahoney{L} & Grizzly Redwood

El Generico & Colt Cabana{W, Billy Goat's Curse} beat Kevin Steen & Steve Corino{L} in a Double Chain match

Eddie Edwards beat Shawn Daivari by submission to the Achilles Lock to retain the ROH Television Title

Christopher Daniels beat Austin Aries with an Angel's Wings from the top rope

Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli) beat Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin, using the loaded elbow pad

Roderick Strong beat Tyler Black with the Sick Kick to win the ROH World Title

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by Big Benny HG

hdnetbestof10.png

This is it...the final volume of "ROH on HDNet" and it may be the best one yet!

Featuring the huge final match in our HDNet history as Davey Richards & The Briscoes take on The Kings of Wrestling & Roderick Strong, this DVD also includes the long-awaited release of the World TV Title bout between Eddie Edwards & Christopher Daniels, the 2010 Holiday Gauntlet Match, as well as Homicide & Necro Butcher in a Butcher's Rules bout, a big Four Corner Survival with Roderick Strong, Jay Briscoe, Homicide, & El Generico, and more!!!

1. Butcher's Rules: Homicide vs. The Necro Butcher...Episode 84

2. Non Title Match: Roderick Strong vs. Austin Aries...Episode 86

3. 2010 Holiday Gauntlet Match...Episode 87

4. Chris Hero vs. Christopher Daniels...Episode 90

5. World TV Title Match: Eddie Edwards vs. Christopher Daniels...Episode 92

6. Claudio Castagnoli vs. Rhett Titus...Episode 95

7. Chris Hero vs. Kenny King...Episode 95

8. Non Title Four Corner Survival: Roderick Strong vs. Homicide vs. El Generico vs. Jay Briscoe...Episode 97

9. Davey Richards & The Briscoe Brothers vs. Roderick Strong & The Kings of Wrestling...Episode 99

Looks a very good set, By the looks of it then anything else worth watching from the show will be put into other Best Ofs and extras on DVDs

A contest that undoubtedly does live up to expectations, however, is the tag team 'dream' encounter matching ROH World Tag Team Champions the Kings of Wrestling against former WWE Tag Team Champions Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin. It's an attractive-looking battle of a pair believed by many to be the best tag team in the world at this time and a duo that were once billed as the 'World's Greatest Tag Team'. Naturally, this turns out to be a tremendous, all-engrossing match which the live crowd go batshit crazy for, particularly signature spots from Haas and Benjamin they remember from TV. Right up there with the Kings' bouts with the Motor City Machine Guns and the iPPV bouts against the Briscoes as one of the very best tag team matches of the year. Thrilling stuff.

I remember really enjoying their first few appearances but since becoming regulars, they've become so boring. I guess that's what happens when you overuse an act like that though.

It'd be hard to even keep MCMG fresh as ROH regulars.

A contest that undoubtedly does live up to expectations, however, is the tag team 'dream' encounter matching ROH World Tag Team Champions the Kings of Wrestling against former WWE Tag Team Champions Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin. It's an attractive-looking battle of a pair believed by many to be the best tag team in the world at this time and a duo that were once billed as the 'World's Greatest Tag Team'. Naturally, this turns out to be a tremendous, all-engrossing match which the live crowd go batshit crazy for, particularly signature spots from Haas and Benjamin they remember from TV. Right up there with the Kings' bouts with the Motor City Machine Guns and the iPPV bouts against the Briscoes as one of the very best tag team matches of the year. Thrilling stuff.

I remember really enjoying their first few appearances but since becoming regulars, they've become so boring. I guess that's what happens when you overuse an act like that though.

It'd be hard to even keep MCMG fresh as ROH regulars.

I don't really think its because they've become boring, I think its more to do with the fact that they have become extremely sloppy, Keep botching moves and finishes, Are over used and keep telling everyone they are the best. When its pretty obvious that they are not. In 2003 they were awesome, Times have changed. There finisher is awful, How can they call it "Wrestlings Greatest Finisher"?! I believe MCMG would stay very fresh in ROH over a long run, Because they can also pull off great singles matches aswell. Plenty of fresh matches to the ROH fanbase there

SITSPPVSplash.png

The Mania weekend poster looks pretty good, as some of the recent one for their "important" shows have been bog standard howlers.- Im glad they are bit by bit upping the game in this sense, DVD covers have looked nice as well.Obviously dont pay attention to the black bar bit on the side.. but if this poster was slapped up on a wall it would get you to look and read it and possibly look into what it was about- which is a key part of promotion that people forget, cant keep preaching to the choir.

• Paid Members
A contest that undoubtedly does live up to expectations, however, is the tag team 'dream' encounter matching ROH World Tag Team Champions the Kings of Wrestling against former WWE Tag Team Champions Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin.

Shelton Benjamin has become boring? Surely not??

Give him a ladder to run up once a year, that'll keep him as interesting as he ever was.

I don't think that's entirely true. Him and Haas were getting great reactions at the start of their ROH careers, and using them here and there kept from overexposing them. I agree that Benjamin has always struggled to be a regular attraction in any company he's been in though. I don't think he has to be 'boring' but they need to know how to use him.

Even using the MCMG on a regular basis just dilutes the effect of what they can do. Once you've seen all their moves on a weekly basis, they're not quite as amazing.

When they first came in, they had great matches with the Kings. Their whole title run was full of mediocre matches and when we had a whole year of the Kings having brilliant defences on a regular basis, the fans turned on them.

Not to mention their God awful promos trying to 'hype' up the Briscoes match at Final Battle.

I'm glad they've embraced the negative reaction towards them and turned them heel, gives them another angle to come from and I think that's what they needed.

They do need to start having Shelton wrestle more singles matches though, Haas is the problem as he's so boring and slow in the ring.

They haven't been shit or anything just not captivating. Also these boys have been in the big leagues working with a real professional crew and top talkers yet they still cant cut promos for toffee. Haas's "What he said" closing statement is cack! That only works when one of the team says something totally incoherent or in a foreign language.

Loads of tag teams fuck of promos like that e.g;

Bloke A - says stuff, while bloke B stands making faces and being silent.

Bloke B - says stuff, now Bloke A keeps overreacting or changing his facial expressions, then buts in at the end with some crap one liner.

But yeah I agree with ROHSteven, least they have noticed a deterioration in reactions so you gotta roll with it and make its something fresh.