DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

Ebb, that is an entertaining, thoughtful and funny comment. I really enjoyed it. Higly enjoyable, although a little short, weighing in at only two lines.(***)

I thought your review was slow, dragged in places, with little entertainment to be found.
Keep them coming!
Your taste is also hilarious. I've seen you give absolutely shit films three stars and then slate great ones. In short, thanks for starting this thread but I pretty much skip your posts now.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eddie Murphy - Raw

An extremely funny stand-up from 1987. The majority of it is about relationships (primarily sex), but Murphy does also touch on a few social issues. A considerable amount of the show would probably cause a great deal of controversy today, though, due to it being politically incorrect. Quite frankly, I don't care because it's simply hilarious.

Amidst the misogyny of his act, Murphy's impersonations are great, particularly those of Bill Cosby and Richard Pryor, who he credits as strong influences. I loved the part about the levels of Italian machismo after Rocky premiered. It's not even a clever line, but Murphy nearly had me in stitches with, "Italians... everything is a question. 'What am I, an asshole?' There are however, some very clever jokes in Raw and several great running gags, too.

Man, I wish Eddie Murphy was still this funny. Watching Raw almost makes me forgive him for The Adventures of Pluto Nash.

Edited by Van_Dammer

I've seen you give absolutely shit films three stars and then slate great ones. In short, thanks for starting this thread but I pretty much skip your posts now.

Still pissed I chose not to overrate V For Vendetta and Final Fantasy Advent Children (and said The Aristocrats was poor and unfunny)? Edited by DJM

Eddie Murphy - RawAn extremely funny stand-up from 1987. The majority of it is about relationships (primarily sex), but Murphy does also touch on a few social issues. A considerable amount of the show would probably cause a great deal of controversy today, though, due to it being politically incorrect. Quite frankly, I don't care because it's simply hilarious.Amidst the misogyny of his act, Murphy's impersonations are great, particularly those of Bill Cosby and Richard Pyor, who he credits as strong influences. I loved the part about the levels of Italian machismo after Rocky premiered. It's not even a clever line, Murphy nearly had me in stitches with, "Italians... everything is a question. 'What am I, an asshole?' There are however, some very clever jokes in Raw and several great running gags, too.Man, I wish Eddie Murphy was still this funny. Watching Raw almost makes me forgive him for The Adventures of Pluto Nash.

100% totally agreed. My brother got me Eddie Murphy: Raw as one of my Christmas presents, and I hold it high in my list of stand-up gigs, so high in actual fact it is on an even playing field with Bill Hicks: Relentless for me. "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY?!"Gold. 10/10 stuff for Mr. Murphy. It's times like these you wonder what the fuck happened to him.

I've seen you give absolutely shit films three stars and then slate great ones. In short, thanks for starting this thread but I pretty much skip your posts now.

Still pissed I chose not to overrate V For Vendetta and Final Fantasy Advent Children (and said The Aristocrats was poor and unfunny)?
Pissed? Don't flatter yourself. I don't have a mental rolodex to hand of the good films you've slated and shit ones you've praised, point is I've seen enough of your reviews to realise that your opinion means nothing to me.

100% totally agreed. My brother got me Eddie Murphy: Raw as one of my Christmas presents, and I hold it high in my list of stand-up gigs, so high in actual fact it is on an even playing field with Bill Hicks: Relentless for me. "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY?!"Gold. 10/10 stuff for Mr. Murphy. It's times like these you wonder what the fuck happened to him.

I think the transsexual prostitute incident and the crappy family movies ruined him.Chris Rock - Bring The PainThis is an excellent stand-up and, quite possibly, Chris Rock's most well-known. He actually explores a range of interesting and important issues, whilst also presenting his viewpoints very well. For instance, he talks about social problems and criticizes the government, but it's all incredibly funny.The best moments in Bring The Pain are those in which Rock introduces a somewhat taboo subject, such as violence towards women, but then delves into the opposite side of it just before he crosses the line. Additionally, his most famous joke is featured in this stand-up; niggaz Vs. black people.In my opinion, it still can't touch Eddie Murphy's Raw, though. Edited by Van_Dammer

The Wild

This was actually pretty funny. Due to the movie getting more serious as it went on, most of the quickfire laughs came in the early part of the movie, but it was enjoyable even after that point. Keifer Sutherland was the perfect voice for the lion.

In Good Company

The plot concerns ad exec Dan Foreman (Dennis Quad), who is given a new boss, Carter Duryea (Topher Grace). Duryea is considerably younger than Foreman and, after meeting Foreman's family, forms a relationship with his employee's daughter (Scarlett Johansson).

To be honest, I was actually quite suprised by this movie. Considering that it's essentially a romantic comedy with elements of drama, it's not overly conventional; in some respects, it's pretty original. Unlike many films of this genre, it has an interesting story, the plot develops well and there's even a number of highly effective scenes.

The perfomances by Dennis Quaid and Topher Grace particularly good. However, I can't help but see Grace as Eric from That 70s Show. It doesn't help that he's cast alongside Scarlett Johansson, who sounds like Laura Prepon (Donna from That 70s Show) and has rather similar similar facial features to her, too. Although I think they're both attractive, the two actresses also seem to have a fairly lesbian look to them.

In Good Company was better than I had expected, but about average overall.

Edited by Van_Dammer

I think the transsexual prostitute incident and the crappy family movies ruined him.Chris Rock - Bring The PainThis is an excellent stand-up and, quite possibly, Chris Rock's most well-known. He actually explores a range of interesting and important issues, whilst also presenting his viewpoints very well. For instance, he talks about social problems and criticizes the government, but it's all incredibly funny.The best moments in Bring The Pain are those in which Rock introduces a somewhat taboo subject, such as violence towards women, but then delves into the opposite side of it just before he crosses the line. Additionally, his most famous joke is featured in this stand-up; niggaz Vs. black people.In my opinion, it still can't touch Eddie Murphy's Raw, though.
That one bit completely changed my opinion of Chris Rock - considering his main target audience that is one seriously brave set of material.Eddie Murphy was always shit, Richard Prior saying "Hi" is funnier than Murphy's entire stand-up career.

the other night i watched a werewolf moive called Crused. I love Horror moive but can't stand the vampire and werewolfs one but i though i would give it a go.wasn't the best but i ve seen some other werewolf movies where you don't eveget to see the wolf but this moive shows the whole wolf people on amazon only gave it 2 out of 5 but i would say atleast 4 out 5BTW what other werewolf moives are any? i ve seen one called silverbullet(i think thats what it was called had a kid in a motor wheelchair) didn't really like that moive and i am thinking about get a cheap copy of american werewolf in london but it says on amazon its a comedy aswell are there any good horror werewolf moives?

the other night i watched a werewolf moive called Crused. I love Horror moive but can't stand the vampire and werewolfs one but i though i would give it a go.wasn't the best but i ve seen some other werewolf movies where you don't eveget to see the wolf but this moive shows the whole wolf people on amazon only gave it 2 out of 5 but i would say atleast 4 out 5BTW what other werewolf moives are any? i ve seen one called silverbullet(i think thats what it was called had a kid in a motor wheelchair) didn't really like that moive and i am thinking about get a cheap copy of american werewolf in london but it says on amazon its a comedy aswell are there any good horror werewolf moives?

American werewolf in London would be an obvious choice, the Howling isn't too bad either (its a long time since I saw it though so I may be mistaken)