DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Play it again, SamWoody Allen again delivers, I just love his writing and although he didn't direct this, it's still Woody Allen's film. The story is simple yet real and effective (Woody falls for Diane Keaton who's married to his friend and they have an affair) and the chemistry between Allen and Keaton is electric. I'm so fond of this film even after just one viewing and can see it being a big favourite of mine after a couple more viewings. Real, funny and gives you characters that are interesting and rounded.

Lady Vengeance is on Film4 at five to 11 tonight.

Maybe I'm being picky, but I absolutely hate the fact that Film4 are cramming the picture right at the top and, at the bottom, combining the spaces that the black bars would create as a huge block for the subtitles. I just can't watch it.

The King of ComedyStill can't quite work this out, it hasn't really got a discernable genre, it doesn't feel like a Martin Scorsese film, it's got some very strange moments in and very strange characters, but I was constantly intrigued. I didn't enjoy it that much, more puzzled and interested in what they were trying to say with this film. There's no explanations for any actions and no backstory on any of the characters and this was all a bit jarring on a first time viewing, but I think I may need to give it another watch in a few weeks/months just to get my bearings for it.

• Paid Members

***SPOILERS BELOW***

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Bginning - mmmmm, i dunno what to think of this...the movie itself was alright, if you're after gore you definatly aint gonna be disappointed. My problem with it was, this was pretty much the same movie as the re-make. This film could have been released as the remake no worries.

Young kids get in a pickle, get picked up by the sheriff, few get chopped, hot chick tries to rescue, usual crazy dinner scene, scene in the meat factory, leatherface chasing people, people's faces cut off. Still if you enjoyed the remake, you'll prob. like this it does clear up a few questions you might have from the re-make but its basically the same movie.

District 13 - f'n badass...the Escape From New York meets Ong Bak similarity sums this up perfectly. If you liked either of them, check this out. There actually wasn't as much of Parkour stuff in there i was expecting but when it comes it's pretty cool. Action fans gotta see it.

Lady Vengeance is on Film4 at five to 11 tonight.

Maybe I'm being picky, but I absolutely hate the fact that Film4 are cramming the picture right at the top and, at the bottom, combining the spaces that the black bars would create as a huge block for the subtitles. I just can't watch it.
Yeah that is kind of annoying. I thought the movie was alright, I think I'll have to watch it again because I didnt give it my full attention. I look forward to seeing Sympathy For Mr Vengeance and OldBoy again.

League Of Gentleman's Apoclayse

Having been a big fan of the TV series, this film really let me down.

This film suffers from being over-complicated and flawed in concept. The plot is full of holes (i.e. if the characters realise they are being written, then how does Geoff write himself into the olde English play etc).

The jokes are there, but without the haunting gloomy setting of Royston Vasey and the twisted reality in which the situation is engulfed, the LOG loose the darkness which was its trademark.

The film does not sit nicely compared to the TV series, but is kinda entertaining in an infuriating sorta way. I was really disapointed though, because I heard it was a rather decent flick.

• Paid Members

Captain Ron - pretty much unheard of Kurt Russell/Martin Short comedy, it's abit of a family deal but there's some funny stuff in here...worth seeings for Russell's Captain Ron character, it's like the chilled out version of Snake Plissken.

ClickWhat the fuck is Kate Beckinsale's deal? She was awful in this, just awful. What was the point of her even being with him, they showed no love or relationship at all throughout.

Nail on head.I absolutely cannot stand that bint, she has been consistently abysmal in everything she's ever been in. She is, for the 2000s, what Andie McDowell was in the 90s. Shite.

ClickWhat the fuck is Kate Beckinsale's deal? She was awful in this, just awful. What was the point of her even being with him, they showed no love or relationship at all throughout.

Nail on head.I absolutely cannot stand that bint, she has been consistently abysmal in everything she's ever been in. She is, for the 2000s, what Andie McDowell was in the 90s. Shite.
I watched about 30 minutes of Underworld last night too, why I did that I don't know.Watched Saw again, not as good the second time round and I also watched Hard Candy today. Hard Candy was very empty.

• Paid Members

The Zodiac - slow paced sereal killer thriller...not much cop in a fictional sense but considering its based on the real life unsolved crimes of The Zodiac killer it kept me interested. If you're interested in real life serial killers id check this, if you're after a Se7en style thriller you'll be disappointed.

Raising Cain - errrr, what a weird fucking film. Directed by Brian De Palma, there's not a movie of his i haven't enjoyed until this, i cant say it sucked it was just f'n weird. John Lightow in the lead and has multiple personalities so he's popping up everywhere, loads of dream sequences. Strange strange movie.

Jarhead

Really pleased to get this DVD for my birthday as it was a flick I had meant to see when it came out in the cinema.

I found it to be an intelligent insight not only into the soul of a Marine and what the military life does to one's spirit, but also gave me an understanding of the Gulf war I hadn't previously had (having been born in '87).

I thought both Fox and Gyllenhaal really stand out as being the perfect cast for their roles, and although the support cast suffers from 'generic cliche' casting, the finished result is strong.

The emotional tear and ware of war is fully portrayed and the brutual postwar re-entry into everyday (although slightly brushed over) is acknowledged.

Intelligent, funny and engaging despite the film's lack of action. This film I think will become more important as time goes on, and when the Gulf war becomes historic this will be seen as a good accurate protrayl of the entire affair.