The UKFF [Nearly-Official] Questions Thread

tiger_rick

1.) Is there some unwritten rule that says WWE wrestlers aren't allowed to have their own websites? Many of them had their own websites, but they eventually either closed down or started linking directly to WWE.com.2.) Who decides what extras go on a WWE DVD? Is there any specific person within WWE who is in charge of WWE DVD production?Thanks in advance.

A few questions...1) Why is it that some Japanese names are spelt in English font (i.e. SUWA, Daio QUALLT, CIMA etc)

I couldn't say exactly why, but I figure it's an anti-authority thing. More and more Japanese culture is becoming westernised, with the English language creeping in. It's to the point where you really don't need to know Japanese to be able to live there. Such wrestlers (and I can think of KENTA and TAKA Michinoku as other examples) tend to be from the younger generation, who will have grown up with this. I'm sure there's a more specific reason, and I can't really explain why some names are totally spelt in capitals, like SUWA...

How did Larry Zybysko become so over in WCW? I always remember the 'Larry, Larry!' chants whilst watching Nitro, I'm re-watching some shows from early '98, and he's more over than the majority of the current WWE roster. I realise WCW was hot in this period, but why was Larry so popular? As far as I can see, he's not done much in the ring, and although he talks tough, he's not exactly brilliant on the mic either.2nd Question: How many of Ric Flair's world titles has he won with his finishing move? Just thinking about it, there doesn't seem that many.Race - Crossbody BlockGarvin - Think it was just a pinSteamboat - Rollup after his knee buckledRumble VictoryVader - definitely not figure fourSavage WCW - Brass KnucklesJarrett - Small package.The only ones that spring to mind are Savage in WWF, which I believe he used brass knuckles then applied the figure four. Hogan '99, where he used a tire iron, then applied figure four. Can anyone help out with the rest, specifically Japanese changes??

Edited by shinyahashimoto

I think a significant part of it was just the rest of the commentary team bigging him up every week. If someone from a previous generation is constantly referred to as "The Living Legend" , the current generation's fans will generally accept it as fact if they don't know any better.

Guest Ray Vonne

Can anyone give me a link to that list of top British (10, 20, 50, 100, I can't remember) wrestlers voted for by the UKFF that was done afew months ago based on how many wins they had or something like that.

How/why is Dave Meltzer so well-known? He's probably the only wrestling journalist that I've seen on talk shows and news reports, etc.

More to the point how does he have so many reliable sources? Is he an incredibly charisamtic or persuasive guy? I just don't get how he can be so close to the movers and shakers in the industry, particularly during the heavily-kayfabed days of the late '70's-early '80's.

I think a significant part of it was just the rest of the commentary team bigging him up every week. If someone from a previous generation is constantly referred to as "The Living Legend" , the current generation's fans will generally accept it as fact if they don't know any better.

The fact that he went after Chris Jericho and the WWF for gimmick infringement is the most ridiculous part of it. Outside of one feud against Bruno 25 years ago the guy has never drawn anything but flies...

• Paid Members

How/why is Dave Meltzer so well-known? He's probably the only wrestling journalist that I've seen on talk shows and news reports, etc.

More to the point how does he have so many reliable sources? Is he an incredibly charisamtic or persuasive guy? I just don't get how he can be so close to the movers and shakers in the industry, particularly during the heavily-kayfabed days of the late '70's-early '80's.
He's by far the most experienced wrestling journalist, having been running the Observer since 1982, and weekly since around 1984.His sources are simply good journalism practice. The Observer was originally more of a trade journal aimed at people in the industry rather than fans. He's got a good sense of what to print and what to keep quiet, and how to manage sources (which is particularly difficult in a lying-based business).To a large extent it's a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point. Sources would rather deal with a well-established legitimate journalist that www.geocities.co.fr/3248952828/newz.htm

He's by far the most experienced wrestling journalist, having been running the Observer since 1982, and weekly since around 1984.His sources are simply good journalism practice. The Observer was originally more of a trade journal aimed at people in the industry rather than fans. He's got a good sense of what to print and what to keep quiet, and how to manage sources (which is particularly difficult in a lying-based business).To a large extent it's a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point. Sources would rather deal with a well-established legitimate journalist that www.geocities.co.fr/3248952828/newz.htm
It's also pretty important that in the early days of the Observer, a few guys (most notably Bruiser Brody, Bill Watts and Larry Matysik) all liked what he did and would talk to him regularly. In Watts' case, he would even change angles if Meltzer thought something was shit. Watts required the guys in the Mid-South dressing room to read the Observer every week to stay up to date with developments in the business, and as a result, lots of his disciples (Jim Ross, Jim Cornette and many others) are amongst Herb's best sources today.

How come at ECW One Night Stand, they got the rights to use Enter Sandman but on the DVD it's covered up with some crappy generic shit?

I don't kniow but I expect it may be something to do with that on DVD, there will be more sales and so more money towards WWE and the band may not get the giht amount