Wrestling Observer's "100 Greatest Wrestlers"

Guest Low-ki

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So are you excusing The Rock for poor draws because he was the heel?

Nope, that isn't what he said. He didn't just say "heels don't draw" did he?

And Triple H v Angle was better than nearly any Rock feud/storyline!

Nah. They butchered that storyline towards the end.

In 2000, Triple H was a much bigger star than The Rock.

Get real.

and main evented more than Rocky

Wrong. In 2000 they both main evented the same number of PPVs, and probably about the same amount of TV shows.

Even when Rock was main eventing a PPV, HHH's matches were the more looked forward to matches

Did a poll, did you?

You could say The Rock didnt do big numbers with out HHH, Austin and Foley either.When did The Rock draw big money without either one of these stars? Maybe Hogan at Mania 18, but that was Hogans draw, Hogan would have got that draw with anyone - HHH, Stone Cold, Undertaker, Kurt Angle or the Brooklyn Brawler - The Rock cannot get credit for that draw.

I doubt it. Hogan vs. HHH wasn't a "dream match". Plus, they had a PPV match later in the year. Edited by BionicRedneck

• Paid Members

And Triple H v Angle was better than nearly any Rock feud/storyline!

Nah. They butchered that storyline towards the end.[
Ok, they killed the ending, but the story was STILL better then any Rock one.

and main evented more than Rocky

Wrong. In 2000 they both main evented the same number of PPVs, and probably about the same amount of TV shows.
Yeah but what I was trying to say - if you put in the rest of the quote - was HHH's matches were more hyped and were the 'real' main events. ie. Last Man Standing at was the main match on the card Fully Loaded. As was HHH/Angle at Unforgiven but the WWF title went on last.(as it shoud) What I am saying is, in 2000, HHH was consistantly in better feuds than The Rock - regardless of who had the title.

I'll have to disagree with this, and say that, had Hogan not gone back to the WWF in 84, Randy Savage would be the person we're talking about. The marketing thing wouldn't have been Savage-a-mania, but we'd have had the same kind of interviews, just more of a growling thing. Plus, Savage had Liz, which gave a foil for the heel characters to play off during matches. He was ten times the worker Hogan was around that time, so that'd have been even better for us. Sure, you couldn't do the stupid fitness segments with Okerlund on TNT, but you could have Okerlund being shown some of the 'Macho Man's Moves' (

I agree with the first three, but I wouldn't class Takada as a bigger draw than The Rock. His most successful run was probably the three consecutive Dome sellouts in 95/96, and while very impressive, I would say The Rock from 99-01 was a far bigger draw.

And there was a Takada vs. Tenryu headlined show at the Jingu baseball stadium that drew over 40,000 for the UWF-I in the summer of 1996, plus you also have Takada’s cross-over into Pride that obviously drew superbly (Three crowds over 35,000) and pretty much put Pride on the map.Obviously it’s tough to accurately compare the two due to their vastly different environments, yet I’d say Takada was a better big match draw than Rock and clearly more influential in the development of the business.

HHH didn't do big numbers without Rock, Austin and Foley as I recall

Judgment Day: Triple H vs. The Rock (1.05)Fully Loaded: Triple H vs. Chris Jericho (1.04)Summerslam: Triple H vs. Kurt Angle vs. The Rock (1.4)Unforgiven: Triple H vs. Kurt Angle (1.5)I think that makes it pretty clear that Triple H was drawing against everyone in 2002. Ironically enough though, Triple H's worst drawing main event program that year was against none other than Steve Austin, although they rectified that the following year by drawing a 1.6 buy rate for their big blow-off match at No Way Out.

When did The Rock draw big money without either one of these stars? Maybe Hogan at Mania 18, but that was Hogans draw, Hogan would have got that draw with anyone - HHH, Stone Cold, Undertaker, Kurt Angle or the Brooklyn Brawler - The Rock cannot get credit for that draw.

Hogan vs. Rock actually posted a really disappointing Mania buy-rate of 1.6, down from 2.2 the previous year for a re-run of Austin vs. Rock.

Rock belongs on this list, HHH doesn't.

The Rock certainly does deserve a spot somewhere on the list, just not at no. 16

Judgment Day: Triple H vs. The Rock (1.05)Fully Loaded: Triple H vs. Chris Jericho (1.04)Summerslam: Triple H vs. Kurt Angle vs. The Rock (1.4)Unforgiven: Triple H vs. Kurt Angle (1.5)I think that makes it pretty clear that Triple H was drawing against everyone in 2002

Two of those (vs. Jericho and vs. Angle) weren't the main events. Both were headlined by The Rock. The other two matches include The Rock.

The Rock certainly does deserve a spot somewhere on the list, just not at no. 16

Agreed. HHH doesn't at all, IMO.

I've said before that I consider Savage to be one of the absolute best (if not THE best) American workers of all time, and he was my favourite wrestler for 10 years

Hogan May Have Drawn more but i think Savage was the best wrestler. His stuff in WWF/E was better than Hogan eg, Savage vs Steamboat,Savage vs Dibiase,Savage vs Warrior and vs Flair. In WCW His Match vs Flair at Starrcade 95, His three matches with DDP in 97 i always enjoyed Savage's work but i agree Hogan was the bigger draw. Wasnt starrcade 97's PPV buyrate the biggest WCW ever had?. Ive only seen one of Savages matches in Japan and that was the 1990 AJPW VS WWF Tokyo dome show Savage vs Tenryu great match I prefer this to some of Hogan's matches i have seen from Japan.

Guest rage against the wwe

sorry if its been done1. Ric Flair2. Lou Thesz3. Rikidozan4. Antonio Inoki5. Hulk Hogan6. Andre the Giant7. El Santo8. Giant Baba9. Steve Austin10. Buddy Rogers11. Frank Gotch12. Jim Londos13. Ed Lewis14. Stan Hansen15. Bruno Sammartino16. The Rock17. Goregous George18. Bruiser Brody19. Riki Choshu20. Mitsuharu Misawa21. Verne Gagne22. Jumbo Tsuruta23. Terry Funk24. Mil Mascaras25. Bret Hart26. Dory Funk Jr.27. Tiger Mask28. Blue Demon29. Perro Aguayo30. Nick Bockwinkel31. Dusty Rhodes32. Johnny Valentine33. Freddie Blassie34. Vader35. George Hackenschmidt36. Jushin Liger37. Toshiaki Kawada38. Keiji Muto39. Jack Brisco40. Harley Race41. El Hijo del Santo42. Tatsumi Fujinami43. Danny Hodge44. Akira Maeda45. Chigusa Nagayo46. Ricky Steamboat47. Shawn Michaels48. Shinya Hashimoto49. Ray Stevens50. Randy Savage51. Gene Kiniski52. Nobuhiko Takada53. Mick Foley54. Genichiro Tenryu55. The Crusher56. Dick the Bruiser57. Canek58. Antonio Rocca59. The Sheik60. Den Leo Jonathon61. Dynamite Kid62. The Undertaker63. El Solitario64. Billy Graham65. Jerry Lawler66. Roddy Piper67. Ultimo Dragon68. Billy Robinson69. Jaguar Yokota70. Lioness Asuka71. Bobo Brazil72. Karl Gotch73. Bert Assirati74. Salvador Gori Guerrero75. Bill Longson76. Killer Kowalski77. Mildred Burke78. Abdullah the Butcher79. The Destroyer80. Atsushi Onita81. Ted Dibiase82. Earl McCready83. Pat O'Connor84. Fritz Von Erich85. Wahoo McDaniel86. Billy Watson87. Leroy McGuirk88. Mad Dog Vachon89. Yvon Robert90. Bronko Nagurski91. Dos Caras92. Edouard Carpentier93. Rayo de Jalisco94. Stanislaus Zbysko95. Sting96. Pat Patterson97. Masahiro Chono98. Dara Singh99. Jess Ventura100. Eddie Graham

So Hogan is ranked higher than: Stone Cold, Bret Hart, Vader,Ricky Steamboat, Shawn Michaels, Ultimo Dragon, Sting & Mick Foley........ WTF :angry:

Two of those (vs. Jericho and vs. Angle) weren't the main events.

You don’t have to be the main event to be the main draw for the show.For example, you’d have to be crazy to think the Rock vs. Benoit vs. Taker vs. Kane match was the main draw for Unforgiven. Likewise, Triple H vs. Jericho was clearly the most promoted match in the run-up to Fully Loaded, which included a singles match between the two on Raw that drew a massive quarter hour rating (One of the highest in the history of Raw).

The other two matches include The Rock.

Much like Unforgiven, Summerslam was completely focused on Triple H vs. Angle.In fact, The Rock was a complete after-thought in that match as he barely featured in any of build-up (Which obviously centred on Triple H/Steph/Angle/Trish). The Judgement Day PPV was shown as an indicator of his all-round drawing ability during that period (Angle vs. Triple drawing more than Rock vs. Triple H).

HHH doesn't at all, IMO.

I don’t think he does either but I’m sure a good case could be made for him over the likes of Jesse Ventura and Sting, especially if his upcoming movie career surprisingly takes off.

Where is Kurt Angle?, Was he rated and I missed him? or did he not even make the cut?

Kurt Angle really doesn’t deserve to be on the list. Never a consistent draw, minimal cross-over appeal, no real influence on the business and a inconsistent worker.