Acknowledge Him

As excited as I am for Roman's return, I really really hope they've learnt from the booking before and don't change too much about him this time round. He needs to carry on as he is with only minor tweaks if anything. As soon as they start pushing him too far towards the babyface shit then they're done for. I like to think they have a lot more control and understanding now so.. fingers crossed!

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I'd absolutely love it if he just walked out and did a word for word reprise of "I'm not a bad guy... I'm not a good guy. I'm THE guy." Then "I'm still the Head of the Table." <<mic drop>> Less is more.

Say as little as possible before starting to turn up and clobber the usurpers. Wrestle no matches on TV until the first "big" match on PLE. I hated him being an absent champion but in the "returning hero" era he absolutely, 100% needs to be used sparingly to maximum effect.

Edited by air_raid
Tango Yankey Papa Oscar

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, air_raid said:

I maintain nobody would ever have turned on Roman if they’d played to his strengths in the immediate aftermath of The Shield split

4 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I agree. They tried to shove him straight into the John Cena role which didn't fit him at all and it naturally backfired. It didn't help that he kept the same gear and music so he immediately felt stale.

I think maintaining The Shield presentation with Roman alone hindered him massively. People loved The Shield, the act was hugely over. That Rollins and Ambrose got a new lick of paint in the aftermath but Roman kept it both gave the stale element and the impression that he was keeping the over act's presentation to keep him over and there was little else of interest to him that would get him over otherwise. It gave the audience a sense of favouritism toward Roman over the other two that didn't sit well at all and began the backlash, but it was also the three of them together in that presentation that people loved. Was never going to be great on just one of them. They've seemingly somewhat retconned why it went that way since, in that Roman never really wanted to lose that brotherhood or truly got over the split and betrayal.

Had Roman also received a new lick of paint and been somewhere between The Thoroughbred and The Tribal Chief things may have been very different.

The fan backlash he and John Cena both encountered are interesting studies. Both receiving rejection because they were the choice of the office, yet in both instances they were chosen by the office because they were chosen by the fans first.

Edited by MachoLibre
Livin' La Vida Loca!