How to make a podcast

martinQblank

The Blue Yeti has a 'round table' setting ... set it to that, with the gain right up. ;)

Having 2 or more mics will most likely entail a small mixer, jack to XLR cables, desktop mic stands, etc.  More cost, a bit of a kerfuffle.  Windows will only cope with one USB mic at a time hooking the active record channel, y'see.  A mixer would sound good if properly set up & recorded from the 'booth' channel into an uncompressed format (WAV or FLAC) ... I use a Linux box for that kind of thing (Ubuntu, with IDJC) & happy to advise if you want.

My main playout system is, unbelieveably WinXP with SAM Broadcaster (Firebird database), & then the streamer/recorder is a the Linux system.

EDIT:  if you are able, eBay a video conferencing 'round table' mic with an XLR connector (Polycom comes to mind, but there are others of course, then you can get a C-Media USB - XLR (M) connector from Maplin).  I'll dig mine out & take a pic later ...

• Paid Members

I think I'm going to opt for the blue yeti for now, saves on the outlay til we see if this becomes a regular gig. If it does I'm going to upgrade my hardware later on, but for now I think that seems the best option. 

Thanks Arthur, if ok I might hit you up for some more advice in the future.

Archived