Dangerous rise of wrestling obsessives in the digital age?

Maikeru

The amount of easily accessible content can be overwhelming if you allow it to be. Just within the WWE bubble alone. Thankfully the WWE Network came along at a point in my life   when I have the ability to put a filter on myself. 15 years ago it would've been a different story. I would've wanted to watch anything and everything back then, but these days I can happily live without watching shows like Swerved and Holy Foley. 

Personally, If I woke up tomorrow to an enforced closure of every active wrestling promotion along with a ban on any new promotions forming. I'd still be set for two lifetimes (if not more) with all of the classic footage that's available.  

The 90s/early to mid 2000s was the time when my wrestling fandom was at its highest point. During that time I watched and read anything about wrestling that I could. I absorbed   information like a sponge, That's MY era. Yet I still learn so many things about that time period that I didn't know at the time. It's never ending.

I love how everything is right now and I don't take it for granted. Even though I'll never have the time and/or desire to watch all of the content that's available today, it's nice to know it's there waiting for me. It's a whole different World from the days of waiting for tapes from Rob Butcher to arrive in the mail. 

I think its hard to compare nowadays to the past as back when I was growing up I would have more time to watch all these things, such as weekends off, evenings off, school holidays etc. Maybe a little less content back then but then you could argue that WCW/ECW to name two was the equivalent of NXT/CWC in the sense of extra programming away from the Raw/Smackdown.

Maybe its just that the WWE is aimed towards a certain audience or that its more diverse and is aimed towards different audiences now, if you happen to like everything they produce (e.g. I wouldn't bother watching drive along or the WWE cartoon thing) then I guess thats a bonus from the WWEs point of view.

Also I would say that if I was to pay £10 a month for the network, then you would want as much content as possible, I don't think you could ever knock it for lack of value for money. 

Archived