What era would you have liked to have been at your peak of fandom in?

Porkchopcash

Like many others here grew up a fan in the early 90s through to the Attitude Era (97-01 was such an amazing time to be a fan). Was a huge fan of ROH between 03-10 and now the British scene gives me the most enjoyment.

I was a fan of ECW in the late 90s without ever really seeing that much of it, my main access to the promotion was through Apter mags. There was a magical charm following a promotion through magazine articles and photographs causing my imagination to run wild. As a 15/16 year old finally getting hold of VHS tapes when officially release was awesome although it was just whatever MVC, Virgin Megastores or HMV happened to have in stock. However, if I were a little older Id likely have had the wherewithal to source out tapes/footage a couple of years earlier. 

That said, I don't think I'd change the period in which I grew up a wrestling fan for the World. Have fond memories, even little ones like walking home for miles from school just so I could spend the bus fare on PWI or WWF magazine or, not having the biggest collection of wrestling videos and spending too much time just staring at wrestling videos in shops, or wasting time looking through Megamail catalogues and listing what videos I wanted.

For me the greatest part of being a fan, especially in the UK, was not having access to everything. As frustrating as it was when I was younger, I hung onto every word I read in the magazines and every picture told the story. 

I'm another who became a fan in 1991 in time to be able to attend SummerSlam 92, then like Tiger Rick by 93/94 I was the only fan left in my school and hit my late teens as the Attitude Era was kicking off.

But if I could change anything, I'd be the same age but living in South Philadelphia.

There was one or two WWE ppv's and plenty of house shows every year and in 1994, when I was 15, the ECW Arena was the place to be every fortnight.

Like many others, I consider myself quite fortunate in that i've been able to enjoy what many objectively consider to be the best eras at the right time. I was a young boy during the very late 80s and early 90s, and that couldn't have worked out better. It also meant I was a teenager during the attitude era. My first live show was a house show headlined by a WWF Title match between The Rock and Steve Austin. The Big Boss Man, The Undertaker, Owen Hart, HHH and The Brooklyn Brawler where there too, it was the stuff of dreams at that age. I always felt I was a couple of years late in the late 80s. I remember being aware of characters that were in it and were winding down or no longer there. Not knowing how things worked I always remember waiting for the Junk Yard Dog and King Kong Bundy to come back, so at that age there was an interest in the early to mid 80s stuff that I didn't get the chance to see. 

Perhaps my biggest regret was not watching enough WCW. I never followed it anywhere near as much as WWF. I managed to get to a show, but it wasn't regular viewing and I wish i'd had followed it more. Perhaps it was to save me from getting too upset when it went down the pan. 

Archived