The Powers of Pain: Did WWF miss the boat

on an only slightly linked note. Whilst i consider LOD/RW the greatest tag-team ever (based purely on title wins all over the world) Demolition for me are a far more legendary team as far as WWE goes (3x champion & longest reign) & the better feuds! LOD were quite meh in their WWf runs.

loved there SS 90 match with the Hart Foundation!

• Paid Members

While Demolition were booked to do better in their WWF prime than LOD were, largely down to the fact Demolition were around for a year (just the Ax & Smash incarnation that won the belts three times) or two (if you include Crush) longer than LOD, and the fact that LOD's first title reign was curtailed by Hawk's suspension, else who knows how long they could have been champions for? Coming in when they did, I think it's fair to say the Legion of Doom became bigger stars in the eyes of the global fanbase than Demolition had been as babyfaces. They shifted a fuckton of merchandise between shirts and the little plastic shoulder pads and as kids every one of us that had Hasbros HAD to have their Hasbros. Over here I'd put the LOD up there with Hogan, Warrior and Bulldog in the "we all fucking loved" stakes. Plus we knew they were hard as nails because we never saw them get beat. Even when they lost the belts, we didn't see it. Because they were superstars, and I don't just mean "WWF Superstars" like the way Skinner was a "WWF Superstar" but as in they were MASSIVE. It's a "time and place" kind of thing, but I don't think we should undersell just what a big deal Hawk and Animal were between 1990 and 1992.

Their second run was just a bad dream. A bad, shared dream we all went through together.

Archived