UKFF FPL Week 33

Fog Dude

There's no seamless way to mention the table link this time out, so I'll just get that out of the way first of all. As in September and October, this international card is a set of a dozen fixtures rather than the customary ten. This allows us to involve all the home nations and include some of the more interesting fixtures from the rest of Europe as well as the wider world. In case you've forgotten, Asia only misses out because they insist on holding all their games in midweek.

Unlike last week, I've tried to verify start times from multiple sources, but I make no apologies if the African and Polynesian ones turn out to be incorrect. Regarding the latter fixture, neither side can qualify for the World Cup, but Tahiti - who haven't even managed to score in 4 matches of the final quilifying group so far - are somehow the champions of their continent and will be representing it in Brazil this summer, so I thought it might be good to get a bit of a form guide for them.

EDIT: Oh, and we're totally doing the thing where if you guess how many goals England score away to San Marino, you get that number added to your score as bonus points. There's no incentive for backing a draw or a home win this time though, because that would be batshit mental.

IIRC, only one person had the balls to go for a San Marino win last time anyway...

FIFA World Cup 2014 - European qualifying (various groups)

Czech Republic 1-0 Denmark

Hungary 1-0 Romania

Northern Ireland 0-2 Russia

San Marino 0-4 England

Scotland 0-1 Wales

Sweden 3-1 Ireland

South American big qualifying group

Peru 2-0 Chile

Uruguay 2-1 Paraguay

CONCACAF last group phase

Honduras 1-1 Mexico

African qualifying (Groups F and I)

Cameroon 1-0 Togo

Nigeria 2-0 Kenya

Oceania final group stage

Tahiti 2-0 Solomon Islands

Czech Republic 1v1 Denmark (7:30pm)

Hungary 0v1 Romania (7:30pm)

Northern Ireland 0v2 Russia (7:45pm)

San Marino 0v 5England (8pm)

Scotland 2v1 Wales (8pm)

Sweden 1v0 Ireland (7:45pm)

South American big qualifying group

Peru 1v1 Chile (Saturday 2:10am)

Uruguay 2v1 Paraguay (10pm)

CONCACAF last group phase

Honduras 1v2 Mexico (9pm)

Cameroon 2v0 Togo (Saturday 2:30pm)

Nigeria 2v1Kenya (Saturday 3pm)

Tahiti 1v1Solomon Islands (Saturday 6am)

Oh, and we're totally doing the thing where if you guess how many goals England score away to San Marino, you get that number added to your score as bonus points. There's no incentive for backing a draw or a home win this time though, because that would be batshit mental.

IIRC, only one person had the balls to go for a San Marino win last time anyway...

Ha, indeed. I was going to spare your blushes, but since you mentioned it yourself you have nobody else to blame.

Anyway, bumping this because the game in Belfast has been put back to 3 o'clock tomorrow afternoon. However, there are still two 7:30 starts and at least 4 regulars have yet to get their picks in, so they'd better get a move on!

Northern Ireland 1-2 Russia (Saturday 3pm)

Cameroon 2-1 Togo (Saturday 2:30pm)

Nigeria 3-1 Kenya (Saturday 3pm)

Tahiti 1-1 Solomon Islands (Saturday 6am)

By my calculations, The Whole Show did too.

Unsurprisingly, they didn't manage to get the Windsor Park match on this afternoon either. It was only rearranged initially because UEFA regulations require it. Sometimes a few hours delay does make all the difference - like in Poland after the torrential downpour last autumn meant that fixture wasn't played on my birthday as scheduled.

For anyone who picked late, I'll point out that I mentioned in both the last couple of rounds that an international week was coming up, and that in those blurbs I tried to remind everyone that it starts on a Friday. Sorry for not putting in the tagline that people should predict early, but other than that I'm not sure what I could've done. We're into the home stretch of the third season under this system and fans should be used to it by now. I have to say that on reflection I'm not a fan of Friday night qualifiers, but it's obviously not my decision, and the alternative is a card of League One & Two and possibly SFL games, or a blank weekend, so speak up in next season's sign-up thread if you want that changed in time for September's international break.

Full round-up in a couple of days' time, followed by a double-length card on Tuesday (again) because there are a handful of decent Good Friday clashes, followed by a full programme on Easter Monday.

Even before we started adding an extra couple of matches to the card for international rounds, scores were generally higher than usual. Not so this time out. Only joint top scorers The Whole Show and ultimo made it into double figures, while TUFCfan scored nothing from his two picks. Among those who made their predictions in time to bet on all 11 games that went ahead, three participants took a mere two points each. One of them was defending champion stunstone316, whose lead is cut to just 3 points by a resurgent Rory. At the other end, it's now confirmed that sivy has dropped out, so the new bottom two did quite well and the gap remains at seven points, with SNRN10 not far in front. Despite the low scoring, there was one foregone conclusion, which I'll address first...

I'll admit I only thought about the 'number of England goals as bonuses thing' the weekend before last, then managed to forget about it again when I posted the card, only to remember it again later on Tuesday and decide to add it. Luckily, there's no controversy in that decision as it benefited nobody. Having scored 'only' five against the same opposition at Wembley earlier in the campaign, England bagged eight this time against the Sammarinesi at their 'Olympic' stadium. Needless to say, everyone did take the customary one point for getting the result right from the Serravalle clash.

As for the other matches, most correctly thought that Tahiti would finally get their qualifying campaign off the mark, even if it is too late to make it to the finals. Most useful scores seem to have been the 2-1 wins for Wales in Glasgow and for Cameroon at home to Togo. Mexico throwing away a 2-goal lead in Honduras cost quite a few people points, as did Nigeria's failure to beat Kenya (in fact, they needed a late equaliser just to snatch a point). Some were optimistic enough to foresee a draw for the Irish in Sweden, but not with a stalemate, even though we should all be familiar with Trapattoni's tactics by now.

Elsewhere, no-one got the exact score for the Danes' unexpectedly comfortable victory in Olm

Archived