Kenta Kobashi officially announces retirement

Snitsky's back acne

• Paid Members

As sad as it is to see one of my favourite wrestlers ever have to call it time in the ring, I don't think this is a surprise to anyone. I got in to Kobashi when I caught a glimpse of him on TWC one day, after that I actively sought out anything I could find on the guy. Prior to that I didn't know anything about Puro, I can credit Kobashi to opening the door to a completely different side of wrestling for me, and for a time, my main diet of wrestling was Puro. As already mentioned by others his battles with Hansen, Vader, Misawa, Dr Death, Akiyama, Kawada, Taue were legendary, and he leaves a fine legacy in the ring. So as sad as I am to see him retire I'm extremely grateful for having the opportunity to see him wrestle.

Kobashi's GHC Title reign from 03-04 is one of the best periods of wrestling I have ever lived through. Easily the greatest championship run that I have watched. That was the peak of NOAH as a company (02-05), and my favourate time watching a company ever (even moreso than the Austin/Rock/Attitude era). So much greatness to watch from that time, with Kobashi always delivering in the big main events (he got a great match out of Ogawa in a Budokan main event, for example). These were still the days of tape trading, so staying spoiler free for around a week, waiting for the shows to appear, was done regularly (I remember a bunch of people from this board staying spoiler free for the Misawa/Kobashi 2003 match).

Archived