MPW In Cov

goldeneye86

Does anyone remember a small wrestling group called MPW which was based in Coventry and part of the NWA Hammerlock Group?

I remember that they did shows at the AT7 centre and offered training every Sunday for aspiring wrestlers to be.

Such talent like..

Leon Lionheart

Jetta

Jordan E

Raze

Ronin

Hatred

Thor

Majik

Psycho Steve

White Tiger

Nero

Jekkel

Edgar Stryfe

Imperial Dragon

Surf Digby

Danny Oxman

Danny Garnell

Question tho: What ever happened to these guys and where are you now? still wrestling?

& also why did MPW dissapear?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Out of all of those, Jekkel and Edgar Stryfe are working on their own shows in the Cov area (AMP Wrestling and occasionally Triple X Wrestling), and Danny Garnell wrestles a lot down south for IPW:UK and others. Surf Digby might also still be wrestling, and he posts on here (as BaztnmFan#1 or something, thanks to a random name change thread from a while back) so he'll probably pop in here at some point.

MPW slowly broke down when Majik stopped being involved with it, and stopped completely at the end of 2004 when Leicester Pro Wrestling, run by Ronin and Mad Mike, sprang up as an offshoot using a lot of ex-MPW guys (including Majik a couple of times). It lasted a few years, running mainly in Birmingham despite the name. I was involved with it as a referee, MC, commentator and for my few ill-advised wrestling matches, from their second or third show until about 2007 when I left for uni.

A while after that, Mike stepped away and Ronin carried on running it as Live Pro Wrestling, which I'm fairly certain has packed up now. Mike and Ronin did at one point decide to restart MPW alongside LPW, but that never got further than having someone design a new logo and posting a thread about it on here.

• Paid Members
Does anyone remember a small wrestling group called MPW which was based in Coventry and part of the NWA Hammerlock Group?

I remember that they did shows at the AT7 centre and offered training every Sunday for aspiring wrestlers to be.

Such talent like..

Leon Lionheart

Jetta

Jordan E

Raze

Ronin

Hatred

Thor

Majik

Psycho Steve

White Tiger

Nero

Jekkel

Edgar Stryfe

Imperial Dragon

Surf Digby

Danny Oxman

Danny Garnell

Lionheart, White Tiger and Jetta are no longer wrestling

Jordan E and Psycho Steve still wrestle and train around Coventry

Raze and Majik are now both actors... Majik can occasionally be persuaded to put on the purple trunks

No idea what happened to Thor, Hatred or Oxman.

Nero is still wrestling under the name Maz Angelus and doing well

Imperial Dragon is now making music but I do believe he's started training again recently

I believe Surf is still doing the odd bit of training

As mentioned, Edgar and Jekkel run events in Coventry and both are still active.

Like opcws said really, Majik stepped away and Hammerlock was wining down and the whole thing kind of fell apart after that. What was left, half became PWA in Coventry and half became LPW in Leicester/Birmingham. Neither was quite the same.

There's always Triple X if you want to see the good stuff in Coventry :thumbsup:

Such talent like..

Leon Lionheart

Jetta

Jordan E

Raze

Ronin

Hatred

Thor

Majik

Psycho Steve

White Tiger

Nero

Jekkel

Edgar Stryfe

Imperial Dragon

Surf Digby

Danny Oxman

Danny Garnell

Lionheart, White Tiger and Jetta are no longer wrestling

Jordan E and Psycho Steve still wrestle and train around Coventry

Raze and Majik are now both actors... Majik can occasionally be persuaded to put on the purple trunks

No idea what happened to Thor, Hatred or Oxman.

Nero is still wrestling under the name Maz Angelus and doing well

Imperial Dragon is now making music but I do believe he's started training again recently

I believe Surf is still doing the odd bit of training

As mentioned, Edgar and Jekkel run events in Coventry and both are still active.

Like opcws said really, Majik stepped away and Hammerlock was wining down and the whole thing kind of fell apart after that. What was left, half became PWA in Coventry and half became LPW in Leicester/Birmingham. Neither was quite the same.

There's always Triple X if you want to see the good stuff in Coventry :thumbsup:

Thanks to both you guys for an insight, It was a shame as I really liked there shows back in 2003/2004 and esp the charity events at foleshill. I've never checked out Triple X However I'm always willing too :-D

• Paid Members

Huh. I spent about ten minutes looking at a picture of Max Angelous trying to decide if it was Nero or not, and came to the conclusion that it wasn't.

Oh, goldeneye, just FYI, we have a rule about not quoting a massive post just to add a one or two-line reply. Makes the thread very awkward for other people to read.

I can assure you, Nero is definitely Max Angelus. He's just worked very hard on his physique and look and is now using his real name.

Also, Samurai from the old MPW days now wrestles as Kaleb Hughes. Recently back from injury, he was doing quite well for himself before and is now shaking off some ring rust down at the school before picking up where he left off.

Imperial Dragon/Robbie Victory did indeed return to training for a few session and I hope he continues.

Hatred changed his name to Mile Wyld and appeared on Total Wipeout and on some HOP shows for a while, but doesn't wrestle anymore to my knowledge.

Oh, goldeneye, just FYI, we have a rule about not quoting a massive post just to add a one or two-line reply. Makes the thread very awkward for other people to read.

Sorry lol, still new to this site , i do apologise tho. I want to say thank you to you guys and your info you have as always wondered what happened to the guys of MPW. Is Corey Vandal still going?

Vandal wrestled his first match in years a few months ago but mainly works behind the scenes and/or as ring announcer for AMP/TXW.

It's good to hear that he's still around :)

Checked out Max Angelus via YTube, Man he's come a long way from his nero MPW days, esp his physique. He really looks the part!!

Max Angelus made an immediate impression when I saw him for the first time in April. I'm not surprised he's been wrestling for a long time as he seemed way too polished to have sprung out of nowhere. I'm glad I didn't give him a super-rookie tagline now.....

• Paid Members

Jesus Christ! I can't believe that. I did a few road trips with Danny in the fairly short time he was involved in wrestling. Very natural at it, no doubt due to his Judo experience. Really sad to hear that.

Oh fuck! Man, i had no idea, that really sucks.

Danny was always a pretty top bloke and as Quentin says a complete natural in the ring. This man, could move for a guy his size, had a great look and a good style.

Infact, my first match in MPW (aside from Battle royals etc) was against Danny Oxman, I remember taking his finish and it looking brutal as hell on tape, it's a shame the footage of that match has long since disappeared along with a good portion of the older footage i never got around to getting on my PC.

Really sucks to hear this, albeit late: RIP Oxman.

Archived