Anyone remember the 'British Wrestling Federation'?

Knighton

I'm not talking about this lot - http://www.btinternet.com/~smith99/bwf/

Back in 1992 (ish) there was a promotion doing the rounds called the British Wrestling Federation. Most of their shows were done on a 'nationwide tour' kind of basis. As it was so long ago I can't remember any of the guys other than they all actually looked like wrestlers, all big guys.

The promoter's name was Martin Newman - anyone remember them?

I have heard about the British Wrestling Federation that did nationwide(?) tours with some Americans (Yokozuna and others) and various tribute acts in the late-1990s/early-2000s. This promotion was run by Shane Stevens.

If my memory is not wrong, there was an early-1990s WOW(?) promotion that ran with all big guys. I do not remember any specifics, and the name Martin Newman does not ring any bells, but based on the timeframe and emphasise on big guys this could be it.

Seems a brave thing to do running as something that sounds like an offshoot of the WWF.

I know there are a few promotions that still do the big tours and when they are in town you can't go ten feet without seeing their posters. I remember working in the Lakes one summer maybe 3 or 4 years back and Team Guv ran as part of their tour. A good number of big guys were on show and they filled the hall in Kendal without any Americans or names working the show.

I have heard about the British Wrestling Federation that did nationwide(?) tours with some Americans (Yokozuna and others) and various tribute acts in the late-1990s/early-2000s. This promotion was run by Shane Stevens.

Shane 'The Hangman' Stevens ran many shows under the monkier of the BWF, but stiffed many venues & hotels on final payment. This in mind, I suspect he stiffed many a worker on payment also. Don't start on the other stiffings he doled out ... ;)

If my memory is not wrong, there was an early-1990s WOW(?) promotion that ran with all big guys. I do not remember any specifics, and the name Martin Newman does not ring any bells, but based on the timeframe and emphasise on big guys this could be it.

WOW, aka World Of Wrestling, was run out of Peacock's Gym, which is on Beak Street in London. I forget the name of the owner, but they had connections to Dave Courtney's group of security lads. 'Lone Wolf' was one character, & Kerry Cabrero was a worker for them at one time too (Kerry The Surf Boy) in a Sting-surf-dude gimmick. :) Union Jack was theri version of Davey Boy Smith.

• Paid Members
Shane 'The Hangman' Stevens ran many shows under the monkier of the BWF, but stiffed many venues & hotels on final payment. This in mind, I suspect he stiffed many a worker on payment also. Don't start on the other stiffings he doled out ... ;)

That's misleading. He simply paid them by presenting a tribute to a valid cheque.

I think the ones I saw were riding on the wave of popularity that WWF was causing in the early 90s - I think it might even have been 1991. They didn't have any WWF rip-off characters though.

I'm sure I heard somewhere along the way that this Martin Newman went down for some kind of fraud at one point, not sure what that was about. I remember I managed to get a business card from him which had the 'BWF' logo as the letters being made up of the Union Jack flag. I rang the number on it and the company I got through to had never heard of him or a BWF :confused:

Yup saw BWF (with the logo being a the letters in a union flag design), at the Black Lion in Gillingham, was probably about 1991.

I remember they had barriers around the ring (which for me at the time made them look good) and a decent sized ring, which again made them look a lot more professional. Others that had promoted there prior to that (Brian Minelli?? and Joe Marrinelli???) used a lot smaller rings that look a bit crap.

The only wrestlers I remember were Big T who was pushed big style and a tag team of two fairly big fellas called The Malitia?? or something similar.... they both had the classic undercut with the top tied back hair and camo gear...kinda like the bushwackers.

That's about all I remember.

Yup saw BWF (with the logo being a the letters in a union flag design), at the Black Lion in Gillingham, was probably about 1991.

I remember they had barriers around the ring (which for me at the time made them look good) and a decent sized ring, which again made them look a lot more professional. Others that had promoted there prior to that (Brian Minelli?? and Joe Marrinelli???) used a lot smaller rings that look a bit crap.

The only wrestlers I remember were Big T who was pushed big style and a tag team of two fairly big fellas called The Malitia?? or something similar.... they both had the classic undercut with the top tied back hair and camo gear...kinda like the bushwackers.

That's about all I remember.

Yes that's them!! I remember Big T as well, a rip-off of Mr T.

I remember them did the magnun centure in irvine a couple of times,

Spinner mckennise and skull murphy where on the roster plus some guy called eddie flyer if I remeber rightly, it was before the scotish scene really got going, first time they promoted earthquaue then I saw them doing a wwe tribute show with fake mankind and kane. alougth it had a coupke of decent wrestler's I was put off by the constant taking advantage of WWE mechindise plus charging for a photo with somone who looked like kane, i'm sure the kid's who took that to school the next day had the piuss taken out of them :o).

That's misleading. He simply paid them by presenting a tribute to a valid cheque.

Point taken ...

The BWF is, however, the reason why South Wales was rather barren as far as wrestling went through the 1990s & early 2000s. ot many venues at all wanted to have that sort of poor experience again. St David's Hall was a busy venue for them too, all things considered.

Thank fuck for Ravenhill Promotions in the area, that's all I can say!

• Paid Members

WOW, aka World Of Wrestling, was run out of Peacock's Gym, which is on Beak Street in London. I forget the name of the owner, but they had connections to Dave Courtney's group of security lads. 'Lone Wolf' was one character, & Kerry Cabrero was a worker for them at one time too (Kerry The Surf Boy) in a Sting-surf-dude gimmick. :) Union Jack was theri version of Davey Boy Smith.
This seems as good a place as any to ask this, is Kerry Cabrero still working? All those years he was one the better guys in the UWA.Totally off-topic, the UWA was running in 1999, right? I went to the first TV taping at Crystal Palace. It''s hard to believe that was twelve years ago.

Archived