CRW 'Rise or Fall' 2011 - SUNDAY, OCTOBER 16th 2011

CRW

Anyone who missed this show missed out on a cracking night. Generico v Kirby straight up rocked. DJ Dev really surprised me in his tag match, his training was clearly very good. The TLC match was insanity. Mad Man Manson...was Mad Man Manson, hilarious.

Every match on the card contributed positively and everyone at CRW can be proud of a great show.

Full review will be up at The Wrestling Press...hopefully today...computer is being rather temperamental so I can't guarantee anything :-(

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any results?

Micky Mann defeated Cohash McQuade

Team Marvel defeated Section 5 in an 8 man tag team match

Sean South defended the UEWA Cruiserwight Championship against Noam Dar, Chris Rampage and BT Gunn, pinning Rampage

El Generico defeated Martin Kirby (Absolutely brilliant!)

Radio 1 DJ Dev & Micky Cain defeated Dan West & Lowthian (Really well worked and Dev seemed very competent.)

Kid Fite & Davey Blaze defeated LDRS

Justin Thorne defeated Mad Man Manson (Manson was on fire in this match, brilliant comedy stuff as expected)

Assassin won the CRW Heavyweight Championship in a TLC match beating Lowthian, Lionheart, Purfect Purdie & Paragon Smith (Insanity...Kirby was due to compete but was attacked after his match with Generico. Kirby did come out to stop Purdie but was laid out again soon after.)

I thought the four-way was pretty decent, probably the second/third best match on the show after LDRS vs Davey Blaze and Kid Fite and the Mad Man Manson act.

This was the first wrestling show I've attended since a terrible IWF 'Tournament of Faith' show back in 2005 and overall I thought it was OK and probably the best wrestling event I've attended so far put on by a North Eastern-based promotion. It was also my first chance to see some of those who have been featured in the UKFF 50 and they all delivered with the exception of one (although it seemed to be the match that was the problem - not him specifically). Although I don't follow CRW storylines and there was probably some sort of backstory for the TLC main-event, the match itself was a complete clusterfuck from where I was sitting (it may come across better on DVD with some creative editing). There was a belt suspended above the ring and none of the participants seemed to be particually interested in trying to retrieve it. Instead, they opted to do spots with some of the shittiest constructed tables I've ever seen in my life whilst others just seemed to stand around talking or trying, unsuccessfully, to get tables and ladders into the ring to set up more spots. It looked horrible.

The main-event aside, the rest of the card was pretty decent and, as mentioned, the 'celebrity' match was well worked and wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Mad Man Manson's act was funny and was probably the most entertaining thing on the card. Fight Club were awesome (even though I though Davey Blaze was Liam Thompson) and the LDRS held up their end of the bargain in producing the best match of the night. I would've liked to see Generico and Kirby go longer but it was decent enough for the time it got. The ring announer, Stallion (?), deserves a mention as by the end of the night he was probably one of the most over people on the card due to his sharp wit and his ability to sucessfully enter the ring following a trip at the beginning of the night.

I thought it was a decent show but the atmosphere and crowd was a little strange, the majority of people in attendance seemed a lot more made up to see the local DJ than they did to see El Generico.

My take was;

Micky Mann and Cohash McQuade had a really good opener, not heard of either guy but they both impressed.

The 8 man tag just seemed a bit of a mess at times I think there were just too many people to feature in the match.

The 4 way was very strong, first time I've seen Sean South and BT Gunn and they were both very impressive.

Generico and Kirby had a good solid match, they worked hard but it wasn't an epic match but enjoyable non the less.

The DJ match was what you expect from a celebrity type deal, the match worked around his limitations and generally doesn't take any serious offense or bumps. Didn't do anything for me.

LDRS had a good match with Fite Club, but little bit of a unsatisfactory ending after so much great action before hand.

Mad Man Manson did his usual comedy routine to great effect.

The TLC was a huge let down, they didn't have proper tables or the traditional wrestling style ladder and the match really suffered for it as doing half the stuff the guys wanted to do wasn't possible.

Overall a good show but disappointing main event.

Agreed with the above. A few random thoughts...

To list all of the Mad Man Manson highlights would mean typing out the whole match.

When Section 5 flubbed a few dives, a member of Team Marvel celebrated on the outside in one of the highlights.

Zack Sabre Jr. took an unexpectedly mighty bump into the first few rows and scared the fuck out of the woman holding drinks in front of me.

The TLC match suffered from the crowd not knowing who to get behind, the wrestlers (who *were* trying) focusing more on spots than grabbing a ladder and getting the belt. Assassin absolutely annihilated one guy (forget which one, sorry) with a powerbomb off a ladder through a table that looked like it killed the poor fella.

The celebrity match worked well...aside from the weird dynamic of having a Geordie tag with a Mackem on the heel side, then have the Geordie cut a promo on the supposed face DJ by saying he was teaming up with the Mackem because he was sick of a guy who had never been in the ring mocking wresting...which just made me want to cheer for THEM rather than Dev. Crowd was behind Dev though, so what do I know.

Stallion was great announcing but the referee spent most of the night pulling his trousers up. The production was beyond what I was expecting (six sided ring!) aside from the titantron which was just a projected desktop with videos played. Not a bad set-up actually, but they were using Windows Media Player which invariably broke repeatedly as WMP usually does when asked to do anything. If they get VLC they're sorted.

Crowd was mostly fun and loud aside from some staggeringly out-of-it members, some of which worked for the bloody company! The wrestlers were all extremely canny, even when I mocked Cohash McQuade for dressing up in his ring gear for Halloween at Legends and calling himself the ''British John Morrison'', to which he denied and told me to leave now. I think he was trying to pull.

Will definitely be going next time they do this.

Edit: The celeb match is on the BBC website (with Stallion on commentary)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00l5m7h

Archived