TNA: Year X DVD

PW-AJ

Been watching the TNA: Year 1 DVD this weekend to get in the mood for Slammiversary. The four matches they put on the DVD from that year were:

- Psicosis vs Low Ki vs Jerry Lynn vs AJ Styles (Double Elimination to crown first ever X Champ)

- Low Ki vs Jerry Lynn vs AJ Styles (Triple Ladder Match for X Title)

- AMW vs New Church

- Jeff Jarrett vs Raven (NWA World Title)

It got me thinking about what matches they'd put on a TNA: Year 2 DVD, and 3 and 4 etc...

So what matches would you choose, if it was narrowed down to just 4 matches from any given year?

Is the Year 1 dvd anygood?

For 2003, if I can remember much...I'd have

Chris Sabin vs Juventud Guerrera in the Super X Cup Finals

Michael Shane vs Chris Sabin vs Frankie Kazarian in the first ever Ultimate X Match

AJ Styles vs Jeff Jarrett vs Raven for the NWA World Championship

Sting and AJ Styles vs Lex Luger and Jeff Jarett

Only really started watching TNA in late 2005 so I've probably missed a few crackers from that year.

Ultimate X: AJ Styles vs. Petey Williams vs. Chris Sabin (Final Resolution)

Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles (Sacrifice, I think)

Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels (Unbreakable)

Barbed Wire Massacre: Abyss vs. Sabu (Turning Point)

Christian Cage vs. Jeff Jarrett (Against All Odds)

AJ Styles & Christopher Daniels vs. Latin American Xchange (Bound For Glory)

Senshi vs. Chris Sabin (Bound For Glory)

Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe (Genesis)

Christian Cage vs. Samoa Joe (Destination X)

Texas Death Match: Chris Harris vs. James Storm (Sacrifice)

King of the Mountain: Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles vs. Christian Cage vs. Chris Harris

2007 was really shit for TNA.

Samoa Joe vs. Kurt Angle (Lockdown)

AJ Styles vs. Kurt Angle (Impact the nigh after Slammiversary. I was there live)

Jeff Jarrett vs. Kurt Angle (Bound For Glory)

Again, can't really think of a fourth match.

Alex Shelley vs. Chris Sabin (Genesis)

King of the Mountain: Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe vs. Mick Foley vs. AJ Styles vs. Jeff Jarrett

Kurt Angle vs. Matt Morgan (Bound For Glory)

AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels vs. Samoa Joe (Turning Point)

AJ Styles vs. Kurt Angle (4th January Impact)

Kurt Angle vs. Mr. Anderson (Lockdown)

Motor City Machine Guns vs. Beer Money (Whole F'n Show. Another one I was there live for)

Add any of the other Motor City Machine Guns vs. Beer Money matches here too.

It could have been a lot better. There's a lot of talking heads and not much actual footage. They cover some main points in detail - starting up the company, moving to the Asylum, the X Division, AMW and signing Raven. But anything else doesn't really get a mention. There's a bonus feature showing a few seconds of all the 'special appearances' that year like Vader, and a tribute to Curt Hennig. Some more matches would have been good too.

It could have been a lot better. There's a lot of talking heads and not much actual footage. They cover some main points in detail - starting up the company, moving to the Asylum, the X Division, AMW and signing Raven. But anything else doesn't really get a mention. There's a bonus feature showing a few seconds of all the 'special appearances' that year like Vader, and a tribute to Curt Hennig. Some more matches would have been good too.

That DVD came out at the end of a really weird time for TNA. Around that time they pretty much pretended the Asylum era never really happened, except when they really needed to make a point. No DVDs around that time had any footage from those days in, and they rebranded their X Division and Bloodiest Brawls DVDs from Vol.1, despite the fact there had already been a first volume in each case. And they ignored Sting's previous spell in TNA when they signed him in '06.

It's odd looking back at that ear of TNA. Yes, most of it was shit, but it was 'lovably shit' y'know. The wacky run-ins on Jarrett title defences every week, random guest wrestlers popping up for a couple of weeks and all that. Then in '05 and '06 it was really good, before going shit again in 2007, and I've never really got back in to it since. I keep thinking I should give it another go after reading the positive things people say about it on here now.

Just read the report of TNA's first weekly PPV. I'd forgotten just how terrible some of the stuff was back then... The Johnsons, midgets, women's battle royal with terrible wrestlers, Cheekz, Erik Watts... as bad as TNA was around 2007, I don't think it ever dropped to the lows of year 1.

Archived