The Driving Thread

CuckedByMenry

• Paid Members

I was originally going to ask about suggestions and avoidances for driving schools, but thought I'd turn this into a broader arena for discussion on all things road related (cyclists included).

Since I'm a clear newbie to it all, I'll revert to my original plan and ask what driving schools out of the Big Four/Five/Six etc. would you advise using/avoiding.

• Paid Members

I'd suggest you go with someone private - schools often use rookie instructors and are more expensive, and that might not be a good thing for your learning experience. However, certain independent instructors can be dodgy, so it's really a case of finding someone good via word of mouth. Ask your friends/family, check online and with a bit or research you can find a genuine, good quality and good value instructor.

I'd suggest you go with someone private - schools often use rookie instructors and are more expensive, and that might not be a good thing for your learning experience. However, certain independent instructors can be dodgy, so it's really a case of finding someone good via word of mouth. Ask your friends/family, check online and with a bit or research you can find a genuine, good quality and good value instructor.

I agree with this advice, however smaller local schools are good as well and can be a cheaper alternative than the major players like BSM and RAC. Another good tip is to find a test centre which has less traffic on the road. My friends who live in Leeds used Harrogate for example. Learning to drive is a scary experience in the first place, the last thing you want to do is learn in very heavy urban traffic.

my big tip is check the instructors badge - if it's green they are a fully qualified instructor. If it's pink they are a trainee which doesn't mean they are rubbish, just that they are not yet qualified and probably less experienced (most commonly seen with the 'big' schools). If they are not displaying a badge at all they are not liscensed to take money off you for lessons (and probably best avoided!)

• Paid Members

I had my biggest nightmare today, driving towards a bend on a narrow road, a cyclist in front of me, a lorry behind me and a bus coming towards me. *shudder*

I only passed my test a few weeks back, but Im really enjoying drinving now. Loving motorway driving.

Archived