AGMs

Wideload

• Paid Members

We have the same situation in our footy club. Our chairman and secretary are both wanting to step aside. The chairman's role is relatively minor but the secretary is an OAP (who founded the club in 1976) who is retired and has been doing it as almost a full-time job for years. It's a big club, 5 open age teams, 20 boys teams and 3 girls teams plus Saturday morning "academy" and school training sessions. It's a mammoth job that nobody wants and no person in full time employment can possibly take on. I'm the only willing volunteer and I've only said I'll take it on if it's split between 4 or 5 people as it needs to be.

It's a shit situation. Unfortunately, people want to do as little as possible. We have the same situation at every event. You need to get the situation down in writing and get it out to all members. Make it clear that you'll be standing aside, point out the pitfalls of no-one volunteering and appeal to people to turn up and find a solution.

I spent my birthday on Monday night at the local Boys league AGM. What a treat!

• Paid Members

Hey mate,

To be honest, your story reads exactly like mine, I can identify with you hugely. I played for the Saxons since their inception in 2002. At the end of the 2004 season, the club was on the verge of folding, it owed money left right and centre, was evicted from the home ground, had less than half of the desired number of players you

Archived