I want to learn how to develop Applications for iPhone.

RancidPunx

I've been an Apple fan for a few years now, generally impressed with their ease of use OS and in latter years IOS.

I've been thinking of somewhat of a career change and a good starting point would be learning how to develop apps for the IOS.

I have never really done anything like this before so its going to be a pretty big learning curve but i wouldn't mind dedicating a few hours a week in learning the basics and seeing where that takes me.

Can anybody recommend a good place to start. Either suggesting what technologies/skills are essential for this.

If anybody can recommend any dedicated forums for this kinda thing then that would be most beneficial.

In one way i am overwhelmed by this , but in another way i want to learn how to do something that might turn into something useful for me down the road.

Any help/advise is appreciated.

Thanks

• Paid Members

Best beet with any programming aspect is to get a book. Read it from cover to cover and do so at your own pace. If there's something you're not getting, then re-do the chapter. If the book doesn't cover something fully that you want to understand more, then head to the 'net.

Apple tends to have OK documentation and examples for developers, and given the widespread use of iOS I would hope that particular section of their developer's area has some good content. If you are struggling with something specific though then I cannot recommend Stack Overflow enough. You'll get answers within the hour, for anything web development or programming-related.

I haven't done any iOS development myself. But as a PHP developer, I found developing for Android (which uses Java) quite a natural fit, despite like you being an Apple fan and an owner of an iMac, iPhone etc.

iOS apps are heavily Objective C-based, so theoretically if you learned the framework you should then be able to develop for iMac after learning the different APIs for each platform.

Hope this helps and all the best!

• Paid Members
If it helps the book idea is the best, although a friend of mine made an app as part of his uni course work last year. So might be worth looking into courses if they do it!

Hope that help!

Courses tend to be expensive though. For example, I did a one-week intensive ActionScript course, which cost nigh on

I've looked into it and - without wishing to dampen your flames - the problem was the costs (of course it is, it's Apple </windowsfanboycomment>).

iOS' dev centre is mac based, and to distribute it on iTunes is I believe $99/review.

Again, this is me tired from a days work remembering stuff in the past year, so may not be accurate. Did remember though my enthusiasm died when did a bit of research.

Get a book or two. Helped me immensely when I was learning PHP :)

• Paid Members
If it helps the book idea is the best, although a friend of mine made an app as part of his uni course work last year. So might be worth looking into courses if they do it!

Hope that help!

Courses tend to be expensive though. For example, I did a one-week intensive ActionScript course, which cost nigh on

Archived