Should Rebecca Black sing the national anthem at WM?

Happ Hazzard

She couldn't possibly get a worse reaction than the DX band did at WrestleMania 14.

They wanted that reaction to the DX band. You dont dress a group up in shirts of your premier heel act and sing a heavy version of the American national anthem.

I dunno about that. I don't think having the national anthem booed is good publicity in the US regardless of how "edgy" you are trying to be. I think JR was just covering when he came out with the line about "only in the WWF do you get this kind of freedom of expression".

• Paid Members

The DX Band also played Shawn Michaels and Triple H to the ring. It was a heel band, thrashing about. WWF in the next 12 months did miscarriage angles, castration angles, transvestite fellatio, nudity, racism, women beating, selling t-shirts to kids that say "Suck It" on them and on that very same card has a rapist who was currently suspended from his own profession for biting off a boxers ear. The WWF wasnt into making sure people werent offended in 1998. It was 1998. The era of Celebrity Death Match, Howard Stern and South Park. Telling establishment to fuck off was the order of the day.

The DX Band also played Shawn Michaels and Triple H to the ring. It was a heel band, thrashing about. WWF in the next 12 months did miscarriage angles, castration angles, transvestite fellatio, nudity, racism, women beating, selling t-shirts to kids that say "Suck It" on them and on that very same card has a rapist who was currently suspended from his own profession for biting off a boxers ear. The WWF wasnt into making sure people werent offended in 1998. It was 1998. The era of Celebrity Death Match, Howard Stern and South Park. Telling establishment to fuck off was the order of the day.

Agree with everything you say. At the time WWF would sink lower than Whale shit as, at the time, it was the general attitude of Western Society. Only around 2002 did the attitude shift back, when WWE seemed old hat with Necrophilia angles and the like which just rolled eyes rather than raise them.

Here's my nerdy side coming out - didn't Keri Hilson wear the winged eagle belt in one of her videos? I've heard of her, and I couldn't tell you a thing she's done, so it

must be some daft reason like this as to why I know her.

Also, while I'm in here, I'm with Ian on the DX band. They were absolutely bang on for that event and what the show and the company as a whole was going for. I seem to recall JR following that opening performance up with a fine definitive sort of anti-authority/freedom of expression type comment too. When I stop and think about it, Boyz 2 Men were quite out of place at RussoMania the following year too, that probably should have been someone with a bit more edge to them. They're the kind of act they can trumpet now, rather than one they were particularly excited about at the time.

EDIT: Totally forgot to post what I came in to do originally - the Rebecca Black idea is absolutely fantastic. They should jump all over it - and for that matter have The Rock make an extremely gentle joke at her expense too. I think it would be a terrific start to the show.

• Paid Members

Is Jonathan Taylor Thomas still 14, like he was at WrestleMania 11, or did he get older? No idea what that little shithead was doing on the show. He beat Bob Backlund in a game of chess (which admittedly was only slightly better than the Backlund vs Bret match) and that was it?! That WrestleMania show was stacked with pretty of the time celebs, like LT, the newly married and fucked on tape Pamela Anderson, the aformentioned cock from Home Improvement and Jenny McCarthy. Only about 4 people watched the PPV though :(

Archived