Edinburgh Festival

John Matrix

• Paid Members

UKFF'ers...i swear i only post on this forum when i need to ask something!

Has anyone here been along to the Edinburgh festival, as in actually travelled to go there, spent a couple of days etc?

I've always wanted to go along, and as it coincides with my 30th birthday this year, i figure now might be as good a time as any to justify it to 'er indoors and take in a few days of live comedy!

My concern however is what it's likely to cost me. I've looked at a few things online which suggest i'm looking at a prison style bumming in terms of costs for travel and accomodation, so if anyone knows of any cost effective ways to do this, i'd be really interested to hear.

What do shows tend to cost when you're out there etc? Does everything sell out, or can you bounce between shows?

Really just need to know a little more about the experience, and how to go about making it happen.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Paid Members

Best time to go on a budget is during the first week. There's loads of 2 for 1 shows, meaning you only need to pay half price for a ticket (presuming you go with others.) It's also pretty easy to book tickets on the day at that stage, shows might sell out, but very, very rarely in advance.

• Paid Members

^^^ What he said. Go early & get the 2-4-1 offers.

If you're not precious about seeing certain comedians doing their own solo shows (these shows will last an hour each) then look in the programme for the showcase shows. These are the equivalent of going to a comedy club & seeing a few different acts each doing 15-30minute sets & offer a bit more bang for your buck. Anything like 'Best of the Fest', The 'Just the Tonic' late shows, 'BBC Presents Best of the Fringe' etc. will usally have strong line-ups & cost the same as some of the solo shows. We booked for the BBC Best of show one year & got Ed Byrne compering with Frankie Boyle, Simon Amstell, Robin Ince, Shazia Mirza (terrible) & Paul Sinha

• Paid Members

I've been to the festival 4 or 5 times now, trips varying from as little as a few days over a weekend to over a week. For flights we've always used easyjet and booked the early morning flights up there and a late flight back to create a few extra hours in Edinburgh, never paid much more than

I went last year and drove up. It was a four hour drive so petrol expenses were quite heavy but I went with my girlfriend and split it. We also camped as well for a couple of nights to cut down on the costs. If you're into that sort of thing I would definitely recommend doing it as you can save a lot of money (paying

Archived