England Away Games

Boon Town Rat

Looking to go to a couple of England away qualifiers later on in the year and didn't fancy joining EnglandFans.com. So i was wondering if anyone had any information/tips on how to plan the trip without the official supporter club? e.g tickets, hotels, flights? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Tony

Looking to go to a couple of England away qualifiers later on in the year and didn't fancy joining EnglandFans.com. So i was wondering if anyone had any information/tips on how to plan the trip without the official supporter club? e.g tickets, hotels, flights? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Tony

I'm not an expert on this, but a few of my mates go to most of the England away games and I've been to a couple with them. Not for the football particularly, just for the banter and the chance to get trolleyed in a foreign country. They only joined englandfans a few months back, mainly in order to secure tickets for the Wales match in Cardiff as that is 'officially' the only way to get tickets for away matches.

So they've been going for three or four years, and until recently hadn't had tickets officially. They are always available through touts at the stadium, some cheaper than others depending how close to kick off it is, how big a match it is, and whether or not you don't mind sitting with the home fans-but usually quite a bit more than face value. The two times I've been though, Spain in Madrid and the Japan game in Austria we were sat with the England fans, mind.

As for booking flights and hotels, the key to that is to book before the games are officially announced. Scour any websites looking for rumours, and you have to take a punt. If it comes off, you can get a bargain. This week they are off to Copenhagen for the denmark friendly, and by booking the flights and rooms before the match was announced they saved a fortune. The one lad had heard England were playing Argentina in Copenhagen this week, so took the gamble on the match happening. Admittedly its now denmark, not the Argies but the venue is the same. It hasn't always worked out, a couple of times they have booked up for the completely wrong city, and ended up either taking a massive train journey to where the match is, or just not bothering and watching it in a pub somewhere.

But with tickets for the Wales match going like goldust, and it costing too much out of the student loan to buy off touts, they have finally bitten the bullet and joined englandfans. What they are not keen on is having to go to a certain number of home matches at wembley in order to qualify to buy away ones, cos in all these years of going to away games, they have only been to a couple at Wembley.

Hope that helps, if you've got any more specific questions let me know, and I'll try and find out the answers for you.

Archived