IPW Sittingbourne Spectacular 2011, Sun 15th May 2011

Andy

The thing that i felt was really odd about the Redman/Aoki match was that although at the time i thought i was a great finish with everyone expecting them to go to the time limit then cutting it short. Yet afterwards i struggled to see why they made redman tap when it would have made much more sense for a quick roll-up and the effect would still be the same.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
-So, what was the show lacking? As mentioned, a tag match would be a notable thing, here's hoping Zack Sabre Jr isn't booked elsewhere on July 10th and that the Leaders can defend the tag titles in a major match on that show. We have the promise of a Cruiserweight Title tournament, with the IPWUK twitter feed teasing some fresh faces for that, something perhaps needed to shake up the core roster. There are certainly guys elsewhere in the country that would be as good additions to the card as an extra fly-in. By July, perhaps a standalone show will bring a bigger crowd, though in some cases summer holidays and the like sometimes make that more difficult to do, with the type of roster IPW:UK offers that effect shouldn't be so severe.

Roll on July 10th, then...

The show was definitely lacking a tag match, but seeing as it looked like they were moving towards Allstars vs Marufuji & Aoki before Marufuji got hurt, I can forgive IPW:UK on this one. Things happen.

• 2 weeks later...
Not quite 2 days but still an impressive turn around :p

Any details on a DVD release? Still not sold on iPPV/streaming unless it's live and I prefer DVD's.

It's been up for a few days ;) Although still not the 2 days I'd aimed for due to countless problems and an extremely limited amount of sleep in the days prior to the show. Buuuut we'll get there next time :p

I'm working on so many different projects at the moment that all I can promise is the DVD will 100% be at The Summer Sizzler. If this was more than a one man operation then it would certainly be here sooner.

I'm currently looking into a way for you to buy the On Demand version AND get the DVD shipped to you as soon as it's ready as another option. I'm not sure if that's something that people might be interested in?!?

-So, what was the show lacking? As mentioned, a tag match would be a notable thing, here's hoping Zack Sabre Jr isn't booked elsewhere on July 10th and that the Leaders can defend the tag titles in a major match on that show. We have the promise of a Cruiserweight Title tournament, with the IPWUK twitter feed teasing some fresh faces for that, something perhaps needed to shake up the core roster. There are certainly guys elsewhere in the country that would be as good additions to the card as an extra fly-in. By July, perhaps a standalone show will bring a bigger crowd, though in some cases summer holidays and the like sometimes make that more difficult to do, with the type of roster IPW:UK offers that effect shouldn't be so severe.

Roll on July 10th, then...

"Old David" and I were discussing the tag team division in IPW in the car after the show. The observant among you would have spotted the word in the first sentence that doesn't belong there... "division."

When I started going to the IPW:UK shows they were in their ancestral home of the Orpington Halls (oh happy days) and at that time they did have a healthy number of tag teams. From The Untouchables and The Damned Nation to The Hated Heroes (LT Summers & Andy Simmonz) and of course, The Kartel, The Thrillers and an newly formed group called The (New) Leaders which in those days included Paul Robinson and the truely abysmal Nikko Brixton and who can forget Billi Lightning. I know we are all making an effort to do so. :rolleyes:

Over the years things change, they have too, but things don't have to change for the worst. I said to David how there wasn't a tag division anymore there are just The Leaders and that's it. The old teams have gone and the most recent The Thrillers (Redman and Haskins) are now singles wrestlers in IPW. I said Stixx and Malen or The remaining Thrillers; Rees and Tighe haven't been seen in ages. Their manager Gilligan Gordon is now half of the commentary team for the DVDs. Quite rightly David mentioned The All Stars of whom I had totally forgotten.

IPW are now embarking on an Cruiserweight tournament for an (IMO) pointless belt. Belt's only have value if they are regularly defended and are sought after. OK we have this naff storyline involving Spud not giving the belt back at the moment but even before that, the Cruiserweight title had very little exposure and would only get defended as and when.

Rather than worry about this belt that neither the promotion or the fans really seem to be that interested in, IMO paramount attention needs to be put on re-establishing the tag team division. IPW like using imported talent at pretty much every show if they can, which is fine, however it's affecting the tag scene badly. The Leaders either as a team or individually are in matches with the imported talent and not defending their titles. I can understand why they are in those matches because as a team and indvicuals they are superb and arguably the best talent in IPW. So fine use them in those for the want of a better phrase exhibition/draw matches and put the belts on someone else.

I just had a look at the title history on the IPW website.

7.The Leaders (Marty Scurll/Zack Sabre Jr) (04/05/09 - 11/09/10), 10 defences.

- vs. BritRage (Sloan/Fitzgerald).

- vs. The Trailer Park Boys (T-Bone/D-Rock).

- vs. The Thrillers (Haskins/Redman, via DQ).

- vs. The Thrillers (Haskins/Redman, TLC match).

- vs. The Bhangra Knights (Singh/Amrah).

- vs. Stixx 'n' Malen (via DQ).

- vs. Up In Smoke (Cheech/Cloudy).

- vs. Up In Smoke (Cheech/Cloudy) (2).

- vs. Stixx 'n' Malen (2).

- vs. Mark Haskins & Pac.

8.The All Stars (Mikey Whiplash/Robbie Dynamite) (11/09/10 - 05/12/10), 1 defence.

- vs. The Leaders (Sabre/Scurll)

9.The Leaders (Marty Scurll/Zack Sabre Jr) (2nd reign) (05/12/10 - present), no defences

How can you have a title that isn't defended in over 6 months (assuming it is in July) and give the impression it's worth anything? IPW need to bring in a few tag teams to have matches to get them familar with the fans whether liked or disliked. When there are worthy imports put Sabre Jnr or Skurrl in with them and when there aren't have them defending the titles. Whilst it looks good on paper saying The Leaders vs some import team such as Up In Smoke for a title it fails because I don't believe anyone thinks they have a chance of losing the belts. It would be crazy to put the belts on a team or even an singles wrestler from abroad when they are more expensive to book and may not be available to defend the title owing to commitments with ROH, NOAH, Dragongate or possibly getting (re)signed by TNA or Vince's outfit whatever they are now they aren't anything to do with wrestling or sports entertainment.

The foundation of an tag devision really needs to be laid because if either or both of The Leaders gets snapped up by TNA or Vince it's going to be really hard for their replacements to get over when Sittinbourse don't know them. I've lost count how many times Andy has announced an imported talent at the next show and it's been met with silence or near indifference. Attending fans need to know and have an connection good or bad with the talent to care and an interest.

British Cruiserweight Title History

1.Mark Haskins (06/12/08

Didn't Terry lose it to Leroy Kincaide who then won the main belt from Alex Shane and absorbed the two belts together?

A good written piece that. I'd love to see Project Ego brought into the FWA, and even Northern Xposure to rekindle their FWA feud with The LDR's.

Didn't Terry lose it to Leroy Kincaide who then won the main belt from Alex Shane and absorbed the two belts together?

A good written piece that. I'd love to see Project Ego brought into the FWA, and even Northern Xposure to rekindle their FWA feud with The LDR's.

Thanks. :)

Quite possibly. A few times storylines get dropped before the conclusion or just end and are forgotten to start with a new challenger, Or you suddenly get an match and it says number one contenders for the ........ title.

You look at it and ask yourself since when? Who have they beaten to become that?

The foundation of an tag devision really needs to be laid because if either or both of The Leaders gets snapped up by TNA or Vince it's going to be really hard for their replacements to get over when Sittinbourse don't know them. I've lost count how many times Andy has announced an imported talent at the next show and it's been met with silence or near indifference. Attending fans need to know and have an connection good or bad with the talent to care and an interest.

What I always thought would be cool, would be to have a little video package prepared for the import guys. Instead of just saying "Atsushi Aoki will be at the next show" have a 30-second package of the dude kicking ass to accompany that announcement. Could help the local, non-internet crowd know who they are and get excited.

Could have sworn LDRS vs Cole & O'Reilly in March was for the tag titles. Either it wasn't, or the website hasn't been updated. Regardless, I want more tag title defenses. LDRS are my favorite team in the world right now. I want to see as much of them as possible.

The Cole/O'Reilly match was definitely for the belts.

I thought they were but not according to the IPW website. It could be something as simple as it needs updating. Either way it doesn't alter the fact there is no longer an tag division. No new teams are getting known by the fans so should they get a title shot it aids building the match. I think most people accept tht imported talent have about 5% chance of winning the belt. Those matches aren't about the result it's whether they have a great match or not.

When you look at posts on this and other forums you will see lots of that will be awesome, I'm deffo going to that yet nobody saying great match so and so will lose the title to the import. They're show matches rather than real title defences. Great within their own right, but they damage titles when they happen too often.

What I always thought would be cool, would be to have a little video package prepared for the import guys. Instead of just saying "Atsushi Aoki will be at the next show" have a 30-second package of the dude kicking ass to accompany that announcement. Could help the local, non-internet crowd know who they are and get excited.

Could have sworn LDRS vs Cole & O'Reilly in March was for the tag titles. Either it wasn't, or the website hasn't been updated. Regardless, I want more tag title defenses. LDRS are my favorite team in the world right now. I want to see as much of them as possible.

Funny you should mention that. I was thinking about video packages earlier. I had an slightly different idea. As the doors open start up an video on the big screens. They don't involve clips though. So lets say it's Mark Haskins, you have a posed picture of him on the screen. Then super emposed over him is a list of all the titles he has won and in what promotions as well as any other relevent information. It wouldn't work if you say something like 5 time tag team champion. You do similar to what IPW does on it's site with dates.

British Cruiserweight Champion (06/12/08

I thought they were but not according to the IPW website. It could be something as simple as it needs updating. Either way it doesn't alter the fact there is no longer an tag division. No new teams are getting known by the fans so should they get a title shot it aids building the match. I think most people accept tht imported talent have about 5% chance of winning the belt. Those matches aren't about the result it's whether they have a great match or not.

When you look at posts on this and other forums you will see lots of that will be awesome, I'm deffo going to that yet nobody saying great match so and so will lose the title to the import. They're show matches rather than real title defences. Great within their own right, but they damage titles when they happen too often.

You have a point here. While I'd love any LDRS match with top class imports, it would miss some of the drama and anticipation of not knowing who is going to win. Part of the reason the recent Marty Scurll matches (Generico, Kotaro) have been so ace is that question mark over the winner. I become a lot more emotionally involved with a match when my favorites are in danger. Building a new, fresh heel team could be a fun threat to Zack & Marty.

You have a point here. While I'd love any LDRS match with top class imports, it would miss some of the drama and anticipation of not knowing who is going to win. Part of the reason the recent Marty Scurll matches (Generico, Kotaro) have been so ace is that question mark over the winner. I become a lot more emotionally involved with a match when my favorites are in danger. Building a new, fresh heel team could be a fun threat to Zack & Marty.

This could be interesting. :)

If you were buildiing an fresh new heel team and not just taking an existing one that works in other promotions who would you pair up?

This could be interesting. :)

If you were buildiing an fresh new heel team and not just taking an existing one that works in other promotions who would you pair up?

I'm no expert on the British scene. I expect Andy has a better handle on the talent that's out there than I do. I could see Spud & T-Bone presenting a challenge. I saw Noam Dar last night and fell in love with his heel character. Find him an equally interesting partner and that could be something. I'm also a fan of Wild Boar (not necessarily for Noam).

While I enjoy The All-Stars, and they've been kept strong since losing the straps, I've seen them face The LDRS a few times now. Variety is the spice of life.

Archived