Businesses

G-Unit

Just wanted to see if anyone on here runs/knows anyone who runs their own business? We are potentially looking to open a coffee shop which caters to children in our local area and just wanted to try and get any tips/suggestions on how/where to start. At the moment we only have thought of the idea so any help would be appreciated.

My Auntie has always said that the three golden rules of running a business are Location, Location and Location.

Sounds pretty laughable, but she's a self-made millionaire.

Make sure you have every single aspect planned down to a tee. Why are you aiming specifically at children? What is the specific age group of the children you are aiming to attract? Why not aim at teenagers? Have a 'surf' themed coffee shop, with boards, canvases and Billabong posters etc on the wall. Again, back to the location - there's bound to be a suitable property within a short distance of a local college?

Thanks for the advice man. Basically there isn't anywhere in the local area in which mums and dads can go for a coffee and their children have fun.

Sorry, I didn't see your other reply before I posted.

I think you're onto a good idea there dude. I'd say you're definetley right in targeting it towards the mothers as opposed to the fathers too.

So you're going to be aiming your business at 18 year old - late 30's women. Have a flick through the magazines that cater towards that age group, Vogue, Cosmopolitan, Elle et al and come up with some names and design ideas for your shop. Bounce ideas off your friends and family. If there's a little place you can get near to a popular hair dresses or beauticians then that may be a bonus, maybe even try teaming up with one just for something small such as giving each other good recommendations to your customers or whatever. If you do get as far as opening it, then maybe try and do some sort of charity day there - you'll get a shit load of free publicity and it's for a good cause.

I've no idea how much the fitting out cost would be to get and install all of the equipment, but I'm sure that if you look around hard enough you'll find an ideal property at a much lesser cost than what you were expecting to pay, especially in this current climate - just look at how many high street stores are empty.

I don't want to come across as trying to sound like Duncan fucking Bannytyne pal, just giving you some ideas. Good luck anyway.

Thanks for the advice man. Basically there isn't anywhere in the local area in which mums and dads can go for a coffee and their children have fun.

I think you're onto a good idea there dude. I'd say you're definetley right in targeting it towards the mothers as opposed to the fathers too.

So you're going to be aiming your business at 18 year old - late 30's women. Have a flick through the magazines that cater towards that age group, Vogue, Cosmopolitan, Elle et al and come up with some names and design ideas for your shop. Bounce ideas off your friends and family. If there's a little place you can get near to a popular hair dresses or beauticians then that may be a bonus, maybe even try teaming up with one just for something small such as giving each other good recommendations to your customers or whatever. If you do get as far as opening it, then maybe try and do some sort of charity day there - you'll get a shit load of free publicity and it's for a good cause.

I've no idea how much the fitting out cost would be to get and install all of the equipment, but I'm sure that if you look around hard enough you'll find an ideal property at a much lesser cost than what you were expecting to pay, especially in this current climate - just look at how many high street stores are empty.

I don't want to come across as trying to sound like Duncan fucking Bannytyne pal, just giving you some ideas. Good luck anyway.

dunc.jpg

SORRY I'M OUT

• Paid Members

The other question you should be asking yourself is why hasn't anyone else done it before? Is it because there's not a large target demographic in the area or is there one of those indoor kids activity centres reasonably close by? Make sure you check out all the blockers as well as the ideal world type of stuff.

• Paid Members

You've more than likely thought of this already, but when hunting for vacant shops, work out what you would need to make in a week to keep the shop running (and what suppliers/mark-ups you would use to help you do so). It sounds like a no-brainer, but I know of someone who over-estimated what he thought he could make in a week and subsequently folded. In other words, be strict on yourself.

• Paid Members

He didn't necessarily say 'opposed to fathers'; he wants something with a little more broad appeal as there really are enough things catered towards 18-30 females. Showing a little more love for fathers would encourage the other half of the joint wallet - maybe having some promos geared towards the gents (i.e. barbers, watch/shoemakers, tailors and high-street outlets) and also toys / hobbies that dads might encourage sons and daughters to do (vouchers off figures, football kits, after-school sports activities) - in the latter case it may be more difficult to pull off with nationalised firms but with local toy-shops it shouldn't be that to coax deals. The balance will certainly stand you apart.

For crying out loud, do your market research. Try to find every reason why it won't work. If this is knocked back, you're on a winner.

Take a clipboard onto the streets if you want to do your own, and ask people. Not just your target market, but everyone, and make sure you don't instantly tell them your theme / target. Find out what is REALLY needed before leading them in to your idea. Do your MR everywhere, and tally the footfall throughout the day. Do three days in each area - midweek twice and then weekend. Only do the area you are looking to place your cafe once. Compare footfall & results and plug business brain in...

Oh, and start planning your advertising now. Seriously. Go so your local Business StartUp Team (look under your councils .gov site) and the chamber of commerce. There's so much advice and grants out there for entrepreneurs.

Oh, and good luck! It's amazing when it works. I've never been happier in my work life than when the business was running.

Archived