Heavy Rock / Metal playlist

The Reverend

I'm putting on a Heavy Rock / Metal disco in a local venue. I'm putting together a playlist but wondered if anyone here has ever done one? It'll be about 3-4 hours and cover 70's through to today. What I do need help with is more 1995 onwards as at that time I officially became old and listened to Radio 2!

Depends what your looking for really for 95 onwards. Are you looking to be playing mainly 'mainstream' (for lack of a better term) rock and metal, or are you just looking for something good for people to rock out to.

I used to DJ (by which I mean use two CD's players) at a local rock club a few years ago (the Hull folks will be know which one Im refering to). Have a pen and paper nearby so people can make requests. See what kind of things the punters are wanting, rather than just flying blind and seeing what works. Before I started alot of people were wanting a lot of 80's metal that had never been played before (stuff like W.A.S.P., Firehouse etc.) and some people just wanted a load of nu-metal and modern punk. They never used to play stuff like Manowar, Rollins Band, Danko Jones before I satrted, and usually those bands would always go down well

Try and find a good balance, and if you have to do stuff in blocks of genre. Play a bunch of punk for 20-30, then mabye some nu-metal and then segway into some more old-school rock. An interesting one is Andrew W.K.'s 'Party Hard'. Some nights it would just blend into the mix with the people, but some nights the place would fucking erupt

If you give a PM, I'll be happy to go through my collection and recommend you some stuff that always went down well, covering as you say 70's all the way through to now

• Paid Members
An interesting one is Andrew W.K.'s 'Party Hard'. Some nights it would just blend into the mix with the people, but some nights the place would fucking erupt

There was a point when you couldn't have bribed the DJ's in Aberdeen to play Party Hard.

Once they realised that people actually like it instead of Spineshank or some similar no mark Nu-Metal band it gets played at pretty much every Rock/Alternative night i've been to lately.

An interesting one is Andrew W.K.'s 'Party Hard'. Some nights it would just blend into the mix with the people, but some nights the place would fucking erupt

There was a point when you couldn't have bribed the DJ's in Aberdeen to play Party Hard.

Once they realised that people actually like it instead of Spineshank or some similar no mark Nu-Metal band it gets played at pretty much every Rock/Alternative night i've been to lately.

it was the same before I got the job. I had to pester the shit out of them to play it. The mongs that are Hull's alterayouth didnt like it at first because it wasn't Linkin Park or Korn. After a while, when they seemed to realise that its actually a great track that would put anyone in a great mood, it got played more

Getting girls on the dancefloor is always the key. Therefore I recommend either Go With The Flow or Lost Art... by QOTSA, Crazy Bitch by Buckcherry and Closer by NIN. I also strongly recommend Cypress Grove by Clutch and Turn Out The Lights by Steel Panther, just because they're awesome tunes.

Archived