Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

If he sent a joke about Muslims and it was reported in the papers, he would have gotten the bag as well.

You have no basis for thinking it would be reported in the papers though. If you can't see that the very nature of the 'joke' is why it was considered newsworthy, then there's little more I can say.

As I say, a mixture of incredible and unsurprising.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
He wasn't sacked. He resigned. If I were Dallas I would have taken the boot and went on to make SFA look very stupid.

The must be a reason he resigned and not waited to get the boot. If he was so sure he could sue and get some money why would he resign?

He wasn't sacked. He resigned. If I were Dallas I would have taken the boot and went on to make SFA look very stupid.

The must be a reason he resigned and not waited to get the boot. If he was so sure he could sue and get some money why would he resign?

Because the email quite obviously isn't the only reason Hugh left. There are other factors at play here.

It's actually quite humourous reading over the last page and seeing people condemning the fact that the story became public, rather than the fact that the head of referee's in Scotland used his SFA email account to forward a sectarian email! That outlook says everything you need to know about the mindset of this country. "Best wee country in the world"? Aye, right.

If Hugh Dallas had remained in his post - essentially backed by the SFA - then what right would the association have to criticise any fans of any club who may in the future participate in sectarian chanting?

I certainly haven't condemned it for becoming public if that is what you're implying. I'm saying because of the nasty sectarian culture we have in West Coast football (and in the West Coast of Scotland in general), sending an e-mail becomes a newsworthy event and thus is makes his position untenable.

And you're quite right, it would make the SFA's stance on sectarianism a joke.

Hugh Dallas got himself sacked, but for some people to suggest it has nothing to do with Celtic is wrong.

• Paid Members
dallas gets sacked for a joke about the pope, how come diamond and paton got away with there remarks about Protestant on facebook?

In fairness playing for us right now is more than enough punishment!

Seriously though, they got away with it because nobody complained to the SFA. Truth be told they aren't high profile enough for anyone to care what a couple of Celtic-supporting idiots say on Facebook.

Archived