Best Event of the Decade

tiger_rick

Best Event of the Decade?  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I came into this thread thinking Wrestlemania 17.

I don't necessarily know that the whole card would hold up against other ones, but I loved this one, sitting around with a bunch of friends.

I loved the main event (which had been promoted superbly once they removed Debra from the mix), and Austin's heel turn was a great, unexpected spectacle on which to end. Vince vs Shane was a fun brawl, which had a fun, lengthy backstory and the inclusion of a returning Foley who hadn't outlived his welcome at this point.

Possibly 19 was a better show overall, but I enjoyed and rewatched 17 more at the time, so that's where my vote is going.

• 2 weeks later...
I thought No Mercy was the best PPV of 2002 and is one of my favourite ever PPV's though I doubt someone will agree with me there.

No I'd agree with that. Two of the best tag matches of the decade (Sexy Beasts/BookDust may even be the most underrated PPV match of the decade) and my favourite ever Hell in the Cell, plus a decent Cruiser match. I thought it was one of the better B-Shows they've done since 2000-01 (when everything seemed to click). Shame about Hunter/Kane though.

I think what I missed out on with WrestleMania 17 was not watching it live. Of those 'Manias listed I think I liked XIX the best, just because I think it was a very good card top to bottom, even if it didn't have the standout match that X7 or XX.

Even though I didn't nominate it because I didn't think it was even Top 5 for the year let alone the decade, Royal Rumble 2000 was one of the most fun events as far as watching it with a large group of people at university goes (some fans, some not) and everyone getting behind Foley's comeback in the same way as watching a football match - the guy was (is?) a genius at taking a beating in a way that it built sympathy to the extent you were willing him on even if you'd never seen him before. Backlash 2000 is possibly the best B-Show PPV ever. The crowd were really, really into Austin's return as well.

Forgetting match quality, of which there were plenty better, the first ONS was the most fun to watch for nostalgia and pure entertainment reasons if you liked ECW in the 90s.

I think I would put SummerSlam 2002 over all of them in terms of top-to-bottom good matches. The opener and main event were WWE Match of the Year contenders for me - two completely different matches with the first being a really fast-paced sprint which showed the chemistry between Angle and Mysterio and that must be one of the best opening matches this decade, the main event really felt like a changing of the guard as it saw Rock get whilst doing his utmost to make Lesnar look like a credible new champion. Regardless of whether or not it stands up now, Triple H/HBK was a great moment on the night. I wasn't Michaels' biggest fan but I enjoyed seeing him back and the match surpassed what I was expecting. Elsewhere, I thought RVD/Benoit was one of Van Dam's better WWE showings, UnAmericans/BookDust was a really heated old school tag that showed how over Booker was at that point, Test/Taker was a surprisingly good Big Man match, and Guerrero/Edge was still in the "pretty good" category if a little disappointing compared to what they would go on to achieve. Quality event that kept me entertained from start to finish.

I thought No Mercy was the best PPV of 2002 and is one of my favourite ever PPV's though I doubt someone will agree with me there.

No I'd agree with that. Two of the best tag matches of the decade (Sexy Beasts/BookDust may even be the most underrated PPV match of the decade) and my favourite ever Hell in the Cell, plus a decent Cruiser match. I thought it was one of the better B-Shows they've done since 2000-01 (when everything seemed to click). Shame about Hunter/Kane though.

Heh, thought I was alone in that regard. Best in a fantastic string of PPVs at the time.

From the choices available, I opted for SummerSlam 2000. X-Seven may be regarded as the "official" Attitude-era curtain call, but 'Slam 2000 to me is more significant, marking the end of a four-year hot streak in quality. Oh, and an excellent show to boot -- there was Angle/HHH/Rock, which easily ranks amongst the most underrated PPV main events, fuelled by what was at that point one of the hottest storylines ever; as well as the birth of the TLC match; the first of many ridiculous Shane McMahon stunts; the surprisingly decent Lawler/Tazz; tremendous backstage segments and overall storyline progression... awesome, awesome, awesome. The only downside I can think of'd be the Benoit/Jericho two-of-three, which couldn't hold a candle to their previous encounters, but even that was still pretty damn good on its own merits.

If Vengeance 2005 made the cut, I'd have voted for that.