General politics discussion thread

David

I watch Al Jazeera, it's definitely the best news channel for me, fairly impartial compared to Sky or the BBC, and often have very articulate, insightful speakers on. Also gives a vastly different perception in its depiction of world events, which is refreshing and provides a better balance to its coverage, especially on the Palestinian conflict compared to other more Jewish-centric media outlets. For instance, there was a fabulous clip of Obama promising to come down heavily on Israel during his election campaign, and then another from two years later of him in government completely and embarrassingly reversing his statement.

Edited by RIP Diva Sunny

Well, I've watched a fair few reports on Israel and Palestine on Al Jazeera and they've never put that view across. The Arab language version might be a bit different I suppose.

I'd be happier if the western media just reported unbiased on Israel. The western media is near united in wanting Israel wiped off the earth.

You think so? I tend to think that the western media is usually biased in favour of Israel.

Yeah, that's why I was confused. The BBC in particular tends to give Israel a fairly big pass for most of what it gets up to. It's only since starting to watch Al Jazeera that I've really begun to realise the full plight of the Palestinians. It's nasty, man, it's a lot worse than people realise.