General politics discussion thread

David

First if all then tell me what your view is ?

I would have thought my view was apparent from my post. I don't think such a show has a place on a publicly funded television channel in this country.

It is a topic that does concern some people hence that is why this is called a debate.

I would have thought my view was apparent from my post. I don't think such a show has a place on a publicly funded television channel in this country.

It is a topic that does concern some people hence that is why this is called a debate.

Again, I ask what the reaction would be if the show had been called something like "Does Britain have a problem with blacks?" or "Does Britain have a problem with Jews?", or if there had been such a show a few years back during the situation with the IRA called "Does Britain have a problem with Catholics?"

I personally don't think there's any need for such a show in this day & age, especially when we have a panel member describing the burqa as a "binbag".

That's not such a crazy topic. Around the time of the Stephen Lawrence murder, there were plenty of people on TV saying "is Britain racist?" or "does Britain treat black kids differently?" Asking the question "does Britain have a problem with Muslims?" prompts debate about whether they get fair and equal treatment to non-Muslims. I don't see what the problem is with asking it. If anti-black racism or anti-Semitism was a bigger problem in this country, I don't see why you wouldn't want the issue discussed freely on mainstream TV.

Also, Melanie Phillips is a weird one. I want to like her, because on a small handful of issues I agree with her pretty strongly, and I tend to admire anyone who will forcefully argue their case against mainstream opinion. But she's such a fucking loon on the issues where I don't agree that it's impossible to get on side with her.

Asking the question "does Britain have a problem with Muslims?" prompts debate about whether they get fair and equal treatment to non-Muslims.

Except that question was never raised, was it?

We got the usual nonsense, which consists basically of shining the spotlight on Islam, without actually discussing the problem that we see in non-Muslim UK society. We had the usual debate on the headwear, the reaction to British troops and so forth.

In other words, it was the usual shite about where Muslims are going wrong and aren't doing their best to integrate with everyone else. They should have been honest and called the show "do Muslims have a problem with Britain?", as that was the avenue they were going down.

Again, I ask what the reaction would be if the show had been called something like "Does Britain have a problem with blacks?" or "Does Britain have a problem with Jews?", or if there had been such a show a few years back during the situation with the IRA called "Does Britain have a problem with Catholics?"

I personally don't think there's any need for such a show in this day & age, especially when we have a panel member describing the burqa as a "binbag".

Debates are there in place to discuss issues and topics that concern people.

Obviously this is a debate that you have an opinion on so could you please elaborte on your views.

Obviously this is a debate that you have an opinion on so could you please elaborte on your views.

Debates are there to discuss issues, but thus far all you've done is ask me questions. I see no opinions coming from you.

Debates are there to discuss issues, but thus far all you've done is ask me questions. I see no opinions coming from you.

First of all you have to give me a reason why you are against these programs so that I can then give you my opinion on this subject.

I've already posted two or three times on the subject.

The majority of Muslems do want to intergrate into british society however this program's main theme was in regards to the small minority of Muslems that do not want to intergrate into British society.

You can still maintain your own identity while at the same time intergrating yourself into that said society.

Edited by Dingo Warrior

What is your objection to this program ?

Asking the question "does Britain have a problem with Muslims?" prompts debate about whether they get fair and equal treatment to non-Muslims.

Except that question was never raised, was it?

We got the usual nonsense, which consists basically of shining the spotlight on Islam, without actually discussing the problem that we see in non-Muslim UK society. We had the usual debate on the headwear, the reaction to British troops and so forth.

In other words, it was the usual shite about where Muslims are going wrong and aren't doing their best to integrate with everyone else. They should have been honest and called the show "do Muslims have a problem with Britain?", as that was the avenue they were going down.

Bit strange you wouldnt answer a simple question David but each to their own.

No, dont have a problem with a programme like that. In every country and culture you will find attitudes far more ignorant than in Britain to different cultures and religions. Plus, if I dont like something, I wont watch it.