Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

• Paid Members

Dragon Gate USA: Open The Southern Gate - Burlington, NC - 1/4/11

While ROH was already in Atlanta, DGUSA started its WrestleMania weekend swing in North Carolina. The venue is a bit like the TV studio setting regularly seen in Memphis, with a similar size crowd to the ACE Arena in New Jersey.

Brodie Lee vs Jon Davis - If you're going to do a battle of the big men, this is the way to do it - keeping it high impact, with lots of energy but not a particularly long match. Brodie is accompanied by the rest of Blood Warriors, while Davis answers his open challenge, and looks good here in singles for the most part. He even gets to kick out of the Truck Stop before falling to a sitdown powerbomb at 6:02. A solid opener.

Jimmy Rave vs Lince Dorado vs Sugar Dunkerton vs Kyle Matthews - This is the first four way match in a Breakout Challenge, with the two winners meeting later on in the card. Unfortunately, this is a pretty crappy Freestyle, mainly due to a shortage of time so they try and cram a load of stuff in and it doesn't flow at all. No-one will buy a Shooting Star Press as a finish just 2:30 in unless you're Evan Bourne in a squash on WWE Superstars, for example. Also, Lenny Leonard makes the bizarre claim that Jimmy Rave is "a household name on the independent wrestling scene". Say what? Rave pins Sugar Dunkerton with the running knee at just 5:01, then is approached by Jonny Fairplay of all people, who wants to manage the Breakout Challenge winner. Whatever.

Rich Swann vs Sami Callihan - This is the first match of a Stable Shootout, with Blood Warriors picking Callihan as Swann's opponent. Swann has just been on tour to Japan for the first time and seems to have improved for the experience, and he and Callihan have some good chemistry here, with some really good work in places though it's a bit rough around the edges as a whole. Callihan forces Swann to tap to the Horse Collar at 9:43. I enjoyed this.

AR Fox vs Arik Cannon vs Facade vs Shiima Xion - A better four way than the first in the Breakout Challenge, with a better allocation of time, and more enjoyable spots, but it's still not great by any stretch of the imagination. Facade is a weird one, he moves in an unusual way and is athletic, but some of his moves are lacking in impact. Fox and Xion get to show some character, but predictably it's Cannon who gets the win with the brainbuster on Facade at 9:23. So, Rave vs Cannon is up later.

Naruki Doi vs Jon Moxley - It was hard to be anything other than disappointed with this. Moxley is supposedly picked by Ronin to be Doi's opponent, but Brodie Lee and Doi attack him on his entrance, leaving him laying at the opening bell, and while he kicks out of the cover, his uphill battle is difficult to support as he's still heel. Doi eventually finishes him off with the Bakatare Sliding Kick at 10:52.

That must have been the end of the first half of the live show, as the next thing on the DVD is a crappy angle with Reby Sky and, you guessed it, the still very much a heel Moxley. She can actually talk fairly well, but this didn't get over to any significant extent.

CIMA vs Johnny Gargano - Now, this is a lot better. The first few minutes are a bit slow, but they get into the swing of things by about ten minutes in, and CIMA puts in a more than decent effort towards making Gargano look good. Gargano himself steps up to the plate really well, with an excellent counter sequence with the Schwein and Hurts Donut near the end, before a second Schwein followed by Meteora put him away at 20:10. CIMA mocks Gargano afterwards, but once BW leave ringside the crowd give him a standing ovation for his exit.

Jimmy Rave vs Arik Cannon - The first problem with this is that these two guys in the finals of the Breakout Challenge is ridiculous: this isn't 2004 or ROH. They start out slowly, like they're going to go 15-20 minutes, but then suddenly speed to the finishing sequence. Cannon kicks out of the running knee that won Rave his four way, then Rave kicks out of Cannon's brainbuster, but Cannon still has the Glimmering Warlock and uses that for the pin at 8:54. At least Cannon gets to knock the ridiculous Jonny Fairplay silly with Total Anarchy in the aftermath.

Pac & Ricochet vs Akira Tozawa & Chuck Taylor - Thankfully, this is a really enjoyable main event to finish the show off. Plenty of athleticism as you'd expect, but also a lot going on storyline-wise, as Tozawa accepts his Ronin partner a lot more freely than Pac gels with Ricochet, who spend most of the time trying to one-up each other with their extreme athletics. Most of the attempts by Pac and Ricochet to double team end in bickering or bad timing, but they keep themselves in the match, with Pac showing the most wow moments. Tozawa gets a couple of moments of confrontation with Pac ahead of their Brave Gate title match the next night in Atlanta, whereas sadly Taylor slips somewhat into the background with everything else that is going on. It's Taylor who takes the fall as well, being pinned by Pac after a Ricochet 630 followed by the corkscrew shooting star press at 20:43. Blood Warriors get a clean sweep in the Stable Shootout, but it's Pac who gets the show closing speech.

Overall - I struggled a bit with this one, with the first half of the card failing to hold my attention to the point I watched the whole show over several sittings. I was actually half way through when the Dragon Gate UK shows rolled around in Broxbourne and Nottingham, shows so good I was a little reluctant to go back to this right away, but when I did at least CIMA vs Gargano and the main event were worth a watch. Two good matches, but only four proper DG talents (including Pac), make this very much a B show. One for completists only. DVD run time is 2 hours, 26 minutes and the extras are pretty inconsequential...

• Paid Members

Looks like Cabana is done with ROH for the time being, as he/they couldn't agree a deal. Also, it's rumoured that the HOT will be getting a new member or two in the near future ( Credit : 411)

• Paid Members
Looks like Cabana is done with ROH for the time being, as he/they couldn't agree a deal. Also, it's rumoured that the HOT will be getting a new member or two in the near future ( Credit : 411)

He put on his twitter he decieded not to re-sign. I personally thought it was because he may of believed he be getting a call from WWE, (as he worked a few dark matches).

Least it gives ROh the chance to move along , as his stuff was a bit "Old". I personally wouldnt mind if he turned heel or returned as Matt Classic.

• Paid Members

What's coming up......

SOFT 2011 - 18/11/11, Dayton

Champions' Challenge

ROH World Champion Davey Richards and World TV Champion Jay Lethal vs. World Tag Team Champions Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team (Shelton Benjamin & Charlie Haas)

Survival of the Fittest 2011 Qualifying Match

Rhett Titus vs. Roderick Strong with Truth Martini

Eddie Edwards vs. "The Prodigy" Mike Bennett

Survival of the Fittest 2011 Tag Team Qualifying Match

Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. The Bravado Brothers

Survival of the Fittest 2011 Four Corner Survival Qualifying Match

Kenny King vs. Michael Elgin vs. Adam Cole vs. Tommaso Ciampa

Kyle O'Reilly vs. Andy "Right Leg" Ridge

Glory By Honor 10 - 19/11/11, Chicago

ROH World Title Match

Davey Richards defends vs. El Generico

Shelton Benajmin & Charlie Haas vs The All Night Express (Kenny King & Rhett Titus)

*If Future Shock win the World Tag Team Titles on 11/6 they will defend against The ANX

World TV Champion Jay Lethal vs. Roderick Strong with Truth Martini

Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. The Young Bucks

Southern Defiance - 3/12/11, South Carolina

20 Man Over the Top Rope Interval Battle Royal

Featuring the top stars in ROH competing and entering the fray every minute until one only man is left standing. That sole survivor will receive a guaranteed shot at the ROH World Championship sometime in early 2012

Northern Aggression - 4/12/11, North Carolina

8 Man All Star Elimination Tag Team Match- Special 2 Hour Time Limit

ROH World Tag Champions Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team (Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin), "Die Hard" Eddie Edwards, and El Generico vs. Mark & Jay Briscoe, Roderick Strong, and "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin with Truth Martini

Final Battle 2011 - 23/12/11, NYC

ROH World Title Match

Davey Richards vs Eddie Edwards

Kevin Steen vs Steve Corino - Jimmy Jacobs Special Guest Referee

Edited by Dearly Devoted Dexter

• Paid Members

They taped some sort of angle at the TV Tapings this weekend I believe

He put on his twitter he decieded not to re-sign. I personally thought it was because he may of believed he be getting a call from WWE, (as he worked a few dark matches).

Least it gives ROH the chance to move along , as his stuff was a bit "Old". I personally wouldnt mind if he turned heel or returned as Matt Classic.

I regard Cabana's return in 2009 s one of the biggest missed opportunities in ROH history. The pop he got when he returned at the 7th Anniversary show was incredible, and at a time when they didn't have an awful lot of top babyfaces, you'd have bet your house on him getting the belt at some point. But unfortunatly, Cabana's "the midcard is more fun/ I want to be the white Junkyard Dog" philosophy got in the way, and by the summer he was buried in a meaningless feud with the Embassy and having the same crappy comedy match on every show. Any newer ROH fans reading this, check out his match with James Gibson from 2005 to see what Cabana is really capable of when he puts his mind to it.

Edited by Dearly Devoted Dexter

• Paid Members
8 Man All Star Elimination Tag Team Match- Special 2 Hour Time Limit

This fills me with dread. How long will they book this to go? To justify putting that stamp on it, at least one hour I'm guessing? ROH has had the "long = EPIC!1 and good" mentality for far too long. Some of their lauded really long matches have been a chore to watch.

• Paid Members
This fills me with dread. How long will they book this to go? To justify putting that stamp on it, at least one hour I'm guessing? ROH has had the "long = EPIC!1 and good" mentality for far too long. Some of their lauded really long matches have been a chore to watch.

Aries vs Dragon springs to mind - everyone raved about that match, but it bored the arse off me.

• Paid Members

According to 411, there's talk that in 2012 Davey Richards will be focusing on ROH on New Japan exclusively - bad news for us PWG fans :(

• Paid Members
According to 411, there's talk that in 2012 Davey Richards will be focusing on ROH on New Japan exclusively - bad news for us PWG fans :(

I thought he was doing that anyway? :confused:

Oh well, to be honest i've lost interest in him now. I was all for a Davey push but his 3 Title match loses in a row to two different champ sort of soiled it for me. Hes allright though, but i'd rather see the title on sombody else to be honest.

Whats the deal with Chris Hero, has he signed on for WWE yet?

• Paid Members

Eeek! Richards backlash. I think the Strong loss at FB10 hurt him a bit - then again, if he'd been around for GBH9 that whole booking predicament never would have happened. The problem is as soon as Richards won the belt, the company essentially took four months off to fart about with the new TV deal. Another problem is the lack of credible challengers - it was inevitable Generico would get a shot, how long before Jay Briscoe gets wheeled out for his annual title shot?

I don't think turning Edwards heel is a particularly bright move either - he's one of, if not the most over babyfaces in the company. Why not turn Richards heel? Have O'Reilly and Richards form American Wolves 2.0 - or better yet, have Richards turn on both Edwards and O'Reilly and adopt Cole as his new protege?

• Paid Members

Richards would be much better as heel, edwards is very over, but to be honest (maybe its because i dont keep up with the ROH product) I was shocked when edwards won the title. I'm not really sure why, i just didnt think he was "Big" enough in ROH. With the strong match, i'm guessing its because they didnt really want strong to look like a chump after waiting so long for him to win the title? Either way a bad move. Maybe they should of gone with the Fatal four way idea with Aries/Daniels/Strong/Richards and had a sneaky victory for strong rather than a win over Davey. Maybe they should of tried to get Tyler to hang about a few months like punk did? Seemed Funny that tyler just went almost straight away really.

When all this other stuff finishes off, Steen should some how take the belt and have a mega heel run with it.

• Paid Members
With the strong match, i'm guessing its because they didnt really want strong to look like a chump after waiting so long for him to win the title?

Precisely. To have beat Strong at that point would have been cutting him off at the knees (a point which Powerslam failed to grasp)