The Dragon Gate thread

JLM

Hey.  DGUSA is reporting that Jack Evans is coming back to Dragon Gate for two more shows.  I guess they were impressed with him :(Oh, and in Dragon Gate it's "Birdman" Jack Evans.  Apparently.

Evans fucking rules. The Yank-Chav gimmick (yeah, I know he's Canadian, but you see the point) is excellent and there's just so much more to him than flippy-floppy highspots. I'd rather watch Evans in DG than Nakajima.
How about...no. Nakajima might not be a great fit for the sprint style of lucharesu, but at least his offence is more convincing than my niece's, unlike Mr. Evans.The only entertaining thing about Jack Evans is watching people hurt him in funny and inventive ways. So while I may get a kick out of watching him get stretched by Blood Gen once or twice, the laws of diminishing returns apply.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is flip-piledriver man who was at the first TWC show, right? He didn't impress me then...But that match was a different kettle of fish to a semi-regular DG spot. The people who get over in DG are the people who can make the fans love them or hate them, not the guys with the big moves (otherwise Dragon Kid wouldn't be Ryo Saito's bitch). If it turns out that he can do that, then yay him. Chances are that if the fans in the arena are getting behind him, then so will I.I must have a few of his matches in the to-watch pile. I'll get back to you...

• Paid Members

This is flip-piledriver man who was at the first TWC show, right? He didn't impress me then...But that match was a different kettle of fish to a semi-regular DG spot. The people who get over in DG are the people who can make the fans love them or hate them, not the guys with the big moves (otherwise Dragon Kid wouldn't be Ryo Saito's bitch). If it turns out that he can do that, then yay him. Chances are that if the fans in the arena are getting behind him, then so will I.I must have a few of his matches in the to-watch pile. I'll get back to you...

No- you're mistaking Evans for Petey Williams.Evans has tons of personality (Williams has none), which is why he's so effective in ROH. Seriously, watch a couple of ROH shows from this year and you'll see what I mean. Sure, he uses contrived moves but hating someone for using such moves in DG makes no sense. The thing is, he knows when to use them, and now that he's got a tour under his belt, he could develop into DG's new Yasshi.

This is flip-piledriver man who was at the first TWC show, right?  He didn't impress me then...But that match was a different kettle of fish to a semi-regular DG spot.  The people who get over in DG are the people who can make the fans love them or hate them, not the guys with the big moves (otherwise Dragon Kid wouldn't be Ryo Saito's bitch).  If it turns out that he can do that, then yay him.  Chances are that if the fans in the arena are getting behind him, then so will I.I must have a few of his matches in the to-watch pile.  I'll get back to you...

No- you're mistaking Evans for Petey Williams.Evans has tons of personality (Williams has none), which is why he's so effective in ROH. Seriously, watch a couple of ROH shows from this year and you'll see what I mean. Sure, he uses contrived moves but hating someone for using such moves in DG makes no sense. The thing is, he knows when to use them, and now that he's got a tour under his belt, he could develop into DG's new Yasshi.
:cry: !!!I think not!The thing about Evan's in ROH is, he's good in two ways. He made a good heel, because he's shit and obnoxious, so it was fun to watch AmDrag, Joe and Shelly twist him like a balloon animal. And he was good as Strong's tag team partner, because Rodders could carry the matches and Jack just had to do his high spots and get out of the ring again.Of course, ROH turned him face and broke up his team with Strong :crazy: So, if he's booked as a heel in DG, he'll be OK for a while, but once everyone's had a go at ending his career he'll be pointless. He's too shallow a performer to sustain any heel heat. And as Spatular points out, he wont get over as a face just by using his big moves like he does in the States.

And as Spatular points out, he wont get over as a face just by using his big moves like he does in the States.

To clarify this - I've never seen the guy. I thought I had, but I hadn't. So I'm not claiming that the guy's a spot-monkey or anything - he might be, he might not be, but either way I wouldn't know. Just saying that if he is, he's fucked. :)This Strong chap was working for Dragon Gate at the same time as he was, it seems.

• Paid Members

Considering that Brother YASSHI is one of my absolute favourite heel wrestlers of all time, that is an exceptionally bold claim and one that I hope doesn't make me instantly look for every fault I can next time I see him wrestle. I have only seen Evans once in a match that I could barely sit through, but this was very early in his career and his opponent was a particularly bored looking Sonjay Dutt so I'll try not to hold it against him. Still, I'll be interested to see how it turns out, though I'm not so sure he'll actually be on any of the TV shows anyway. As for Naoki, I don't know if joining BloodGen would suit him and that group is big enough surely? I would have liked Oishi and Asahi staying long term and forming a sort of outcasts stable with Naoki but I'm not sure who else could go in that and if it was just the three of them they'd be toast. Anyway, can't wait to see his match with Shingo now, I may watch the next show tonight if I have time. I've heard talk of the BEST SUPLEX ever in this match, which sounds good.

And as Spatular points out, he wont get over as a face just by using his big moves like he does in the States.

To clarify this - I've never seen the guy. I thought I had, but I hadn't. So I'm not claiming that the guy's a spot-monkey or anything - he might be, he might not be, but either way I wouldn't know. Just saying that if he is, he's fucked. :)This Strong chap was working for Dragon Gate at the same time as he was, it seems.
I saw one of their matches in DG (Vs Genki and Naoki) and it was OK but spectacular. Strong is actually pretty decent nowadays, his recent stuff in ROH has been solid.

Anyway. Back to the reviews.I'll come clean. I've had a few beers. I've been drinking. And reviews of comedy matches given whilst drinking should probably be regarded as at best generous and probably unlikely. But on the off-chance that I'm still capable of judging such things, Michael and Danny vs Genki & Naoki from the September PPV is the best Florida Brothers match EVER and you all need to see if immediately.I haven't seen all of the show yet, but the opener was pretty good too. Further Makoto Oishi goodness. :)

• Paid Members

So thanks to Mr Lantern I've just seen Strong/Evans vs Naoki/Genki. I hate Roderick Strong, I have done since I first saw him. He has a bloody infuriating "every move could be a finisher" set of backbreakers and is otherwise totally bland. Evans actually does the sympathetic babyface thing in this match and Genki heels it up a bit. Genki also steals his bandana~.Evans flips about the place, bumps nicely and does a bit of the whipping boy act that can really help someone worm their way into the hearts of DG fans. A lot of his flippy moves look ridiculous and don't come close to making the contact they should but it all goes down well and the 630 looks very fancy. According to M2J, CIMA is very high on Evans' flashy act so we may be seeing quite a bit of him. Solid but unspectacular is right, and I'd say that even if I wasn't legally obliged to agree. :devil:I'm still none the wiser regarding where this comes from. It says "Gaora live" in the top corner and they have the PPV style graphics. Do they do pre-show matches for people who order ppvs that us westerners don't get to see or did this happen on a PPV and I just missed it in the listings?

Archived