Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

My first post so not sure where it should go.

Had a boxing background as a kid, then did a couple of years kickboxing and Ju Jitsu for some time.

I'm now 58 in good shape due to an extensive powerlifting background and want to get back into a fighting "style". Would be happy to spar once proficient enough.

I've looked at something different to what I've done as I want to combine stand-up with takedowns etc....

What would be a suitable martial art or style for someone of my age restarting after 20 odd years away.

Many thanks.

 

 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I do Pencak Silat. It's pretty good; it has various elements of self-defense, sports, and artistic if that's of interest. They regularly have it at the South-East Asian Games, so there's a fairly extensive framework for sports/sparring.

 

 

Posted

Most MMA gyms will do grappling classes and stand-up classes as well as MMA classes which combine both.  I’d probably always recommend a combination of BJJ and Muay-Thai.  With BJJ sparring, you are probably less likely of getting slammed and injured than other grappling art forms.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...