UKFF Game of the Year 2023 - results

RedRooster

So the results are in - thanks to everyone who voted in the poll. In reverse order, here are your results...

5. Metroid Prime Remastered

metroid-prime-remastered.large.jpg

A remaster, that feels more like a remake. This is one of those games that I've owned several versions of - on the Gamecube, Wii and now the Switch. What I love about this remaster is that it plays and feels exactly how you remember it did. It improves on the slightly dated controls, makes several important quality of life improvements and also looks absolutely gorgeous. Normally, a remaster appearing on a GOTY list would be a sign of a weak year of releases; but given how many quality games were released in 2023, it's an indication as to how good this is that it made this list. 

4. Super Mario Bros Wonder

SuperMarioBrosWonder_scrn_08.jpg

Probably the best 2D Mario ever? OK, personally I prefer Super Mario Land 2, but the reason I love that game is for the same reason Wonder is so good. Both games are weird, and take the kind of creative risks that make them stand out. The madness of the Wonder Flower effects - which, if you haven't played the game, turn each level into a wild fever dream - mean you have a reason to look forward to each level. It's absolutely remarkable that the effects aren't repeated - you never know what is coming next. I really hope they're working on DLC for this one. 

3. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

totk-ultrahand-hook.jpg

I probably played more of this game than any other this year. While I think it's been slightly overrated (and I can't stand the underworld) - it's absolutely mind-boggling that something like this is possible on Switch. The overworld - although we've seen it before in BOTW - is still a delight to explore, progressing the game world and creating new areas and characters that make you want to visit every nook and cranny. It's a joy to explore - and to be honest, I enjoyed traversing the map to find out what adventures awaited me far more than the main story. Some people miss traditional dungeons, but personally, I much prefer the shrines. The game absolutely begs for you to experiment, and to solve puzzles how you want to; as opposed to following a set solution. I loved looking at walkthroughs after solving a puzzle, to see if my solution married up with what other people were doing - and very often it did not. I look forward to seeing where the series goes next. 

2. Marvel's Spider-Man 2

sm2_black_spidey_punch.jpg

If superhero fatigue is a problem, this is the antidote. Spider-Man 2 is, by my estimation, the best superhero game ever. A beautiful game world, an interesting storyline and fun missions that make you want to keep playing. I 100% completed it, and felt a bit sad when the game was done. Thankfully, DLC is almost certainly on the way - and I can't wait for more of this brilliantly crafted world. I loved being able to play as two Spider-Men, allowing for two very different gaming experiences. I personally preferred Miles (both as a character, and a Spider-Man) - turning invisible and sneaking your way around enemy-heavy areas, taking out bad guys one-by-one is a blast. I also love the fact the game has two well-rounded villains. Both are terrifying, yet sympathetic in their own way. For as much love as Venom is getting, Kraven was the stand-out for me - the conclusion to his story was just sensational. 

And the UKFF Game of the Year is...

1. Resident Evil 4 Remake

resident-evil-4-remake-chapter-16-walkthrough-2.jpg

Up until this year, I'd never played a Resident Evil game. The love this game has been getting on this forum made me change that oversight. I started with the 2 remake, and worked my way through, until I got to this game. Without having the comparison point of the original game, it's hard to judge this as a remake - but as a game, it's sensational. It's tense and exciting; the story is b-movie fodder, in the best possible way - it handles its cheese with a knowing wink, and makes the game tremendous fun. It's a horror game, yet it feels thrilling rather than stressful; it's a remake, yet it feels fresh and new. It's an easy recommendation, and the fact it's available at a relatively low price makes it an even easier one.