Recommendations on the 3ds/Wii U eShops

RedRooster

This thread probably feels like it's ten years too late, but as many of you will already know, the 3DS and Wii U eShops will completely shut down, in around a year. If you don't own a Switch, the 29th of August 2022 is your last chance to add credit to your account. 

Given that the clock is ticking, and that many of the games on these consoles may end up disappearing to time once the closure happens, I thought it was worth creating a thread so that anyone who is interested can pick up on some of the hidden gems. 

I'll start off with some of my favourites, to get the ball rolling...

Attack of the Friday Monsters (3DS)

Attack of the Friday Monsters: Teaches You To Be A Kid Again - Siliconera

A lovely little game by the people behind Professor Layton and the Yo-Kai Watch games. It's a short game, and you can complete it in a few hours, but it's such a worthwhile experience. You're a young boy, and there are rumours that monsters appear in the village you live in every Friday (hence the name). But it's not a horror game, it's more about childhood joy, with an underlying mystery. I really hate this word, but it's very wholesome; and the it's the kind of game that can brighten up a dark day. 

Dragon Quest Wars (3DS)

Dragon Quest Wars (DSiWare) Gameplay Trailer - YouTube

A turn-based strategy RPG featuring monsters from Dragon Quest, by the people behind Advance Wars and Fire Emblem. It's a DSiWare title, so not quite as substantial as those games are, but it's still bloody good. 

Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3 (Wii U)

Super Mario Advance 4, Zack and Wiki arrive on Wii U eShop tomorrow -  Polygon

So, clearly there are other ways of playing this game, but the Wii U version also features 38 e-reader levels that are unavailable in the UK through any other means. That's effectively a full 2D Mario game's worth of new levels! 

Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (3DS)

Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology Review | RPG Site

This game costs an absolute fortune if you're to buy it in physical form. In short, it's an RPG with quite a deep story (similar to Game of Thrones, or maybe Suikoden 2) and a well-handled time travel mechanic, that allows you to play out multiple realities depending on the decisions you make.