School Reunions

Glen Quagmire

Flicking though a number of old school photos of myself and a few others posted on Facebook we've ended up discussing the possibility of a reunion since this summer it'll be 15 years since we left. Looking around on the web, it seems that some people want nothing to do with their school again, other say they'll come but not organise and others very enthusiastic about it all. Some people say that if you wanted to still be friends with them you would have kept in contact with those you wanted to, but where I attended was a small rural secondary school and as a form class and even a year group we were reasonably well knit, especially as outside school you might not see the same face again during the summer holidays if they weren't in the same village as yourself, and these were the days before the internet and mobile phones. Because of geography some of us went to study in one town while some went to another about 30 miles away, and at different places on each. I wouldn't expect everyone to attend (as far as I know they are all still living) due to some now living abroad, some not bothered, but I'd reckon the majority would come as most of us have good memories of our school days.

From looking at the plans some reunions have, some go for a full blown weekend based at a hotel while going together for activities while at the opposite end, it may be just a meet up with finger-food and a bar at a local pub or community hall with a retro disco at the end of the night. The latter might be better to go for, as times are astute at present, many now have their own families and need to keep purse strings tight.

Anyone with any experience, suggestions, ideas, horror stories at such a reunion or something similar?

Don't do it. School reunions are usually organized by the people who when at school everyone expects to go onto great things. But they don't, so they organize get togethers to find someone they are better than. Plus all the fit burds are unlikely to have aged well, and the ones who where dowdy at school, but fit as fuck now are normally resentfull when you try and finger them 15 years later after making it up that you did when at school.

My 10 year graduation reunion is in June and I'm not going. If I'm not in touch with certain people there's a reason, and I meet up with my friends from then on a semi-regular basis, so there's no reason for me to go. Judging from the 5-year reunion - which i also didn't bother going to - it was the usual cliques with the same old and tired jokes. I don't regret not going then, and I won't regret not going to this one.

And this isn't because I was a loner or outsider, feeling spurned and filled with jealousy or bitterness. I had plenty of friends, but people drift apart for a reason. My reason is that many of them moved to London and became socialite twats.

Archived