Poker Q - 'Running it' more then once.

MichaelScarn

• Paid Members

Ok, so on some cash games on TV I have heard players agree with each other to 'run it' 2/3/4 times when they are both all-in after the flop or turn.

It's not something I ever fully understood, but my assumption was that they were agreeing that after the game, they would pay eachother whatever the pot was x the number of times it was ran. So say 2 players were all in for

I actually watched this last week.

I assumed Hellmuth agreed to go 4 times cause he's an arrogant fool who thinks he only loses to bad plays, and because he was a massive favourite he thought he had little chance of not winning all the pot.

He was right it was a freak result but sometimes it happens.

Don't know but i guess its just soemthing you can do in certain cash games.

So after all that amazing hand, and getting back to my main Q, can someone fully explain this 'running it' to me?

Running it more than once is something the high stakes pros do to reduce the variance. Hellmuth in this case is tighter than a Scotish Jew and is running it more than once to lessen the odds of him losing the whole pot.

Are there variations?

Sometimes people will take money out of the pot. For example on the river, someone ships it and is called, Play 1 can say "Take X out of the pot each and the winner takes the rest", This is extremely un-common however as it is stupid as fuck.

As in the case above, Phil H was miles away the favorite, so what was his rationale to offer to run it a total of 4 times? Is it covering his own back (despite his massive odds pre-turn), being a gentleman to the Qualifier, or something else? Why do people do this in general?

Like I said up there, Hellmuth is a really weak player, he doesn't like the gamble of the game as much as he advertises he does. He done it to cover himself, and maybe a little to help the Loose Cannon.

Can they run flop/turn and river, or is it only just flop/turn or just turn?

I've seen guys in my local big game (5/10

• Paid Members

Thanks everyone!

In the case of Phil H, I guess there is a chance in that game they all feel they need to give the qualifier a bit of leeway, but equaly Phil himself can be a bit of an ass as DBRAG says (thats what makes him enjoyable to watch). I'm looking forward to getting off work to see how last night played out.

Daniel, I caught the UKIPT the other night. The male host, Nick I think, can be pretty funny. Most of the time its obvious what he's going to come out with, but every once in a while he'll drop in a one-liner that has me howling with laughter. There's something about Liv that I can't put my finger on that just rubs me the wrong way. Perhaps it's just jealousy, she's fit, won a couple of Major tournaments and can afford to spend the rest of her life playing the beautifull game all over the world. I do sense a bit of smug arrogance, in that her opinion must be right because she has been sucessfull. I can't stand Vicky Corren for much the same reason (she makes too much of a scene when someone calls her or pushes with what she calls shite hands). Perhaps I just hate women or something lol!

Jambo, cheers for the podcast links, i'm enjoying studying to try to improve my game, so any help like that is usefull. Up to now I have just played live games down the local, over the last year i'm moderatly up (couple of hundred for what ammounts to about a

I became a member on Party Poker recently, but i'm sticking to the single table low buy-in tourny games for a bit while I get used to it all, before attempting the cash game side. Are any of the other sties like Pokerstars, Full Tilt or even Sky Bet better? Can you also elaborate a bit on Black Friday too please?

There's a ton of sites which list best poker sites and give reasons why. Google, man. 888 is good.

Archived