Wrestling Blogs

steve.vai121

Hi all,

Just wondering what your thoughts are on wrestling blogs and how to do them? I have one myself but it's just an occaisonal wrestling blog that I do in a bit of a character style.

I'm aware of I Love Wrestling and RSPWFAQ but was just wondering how smaller blogs best promote themselves. I use Twitter but don't really get much traffic from it.

Also, what sort of content do you think is best? I dont want to review DVD as people better at it already do it. Just after some ideas I guess!

Thanks

\sv/

Hi all,

Just wondering what your thoughts are on wrestling blogs and how to do them? I have one myself but it's just an occaisonal wrestling blog that I do in a bit of a character style.

I'm aware of I Love Wrestling and RSPWFAQ but was just wondering how smaller blogs best promote themselves. I use Twitter but don't really get much traffic from it.

Also, what sort of content do you think is best? I dont want to review DVD as people better at it already do it. Just after some ideas I guess!

Thanks

\sv/

Just write about what's on your mind. Then spam the link around. If it's any good people will read it, and if it's rubbish no one will remember.

• Paid Members

If you're starting a blog then you have to offer something different. There'll be millions of those kids on YouTube doing their PPV predictions or reviews, but unless you offer something different it'll just be white noise like those kids.

Find an angle, do something unique. When you find that, get yourself a cheap shared host and install WordPress, install a free theme, and then blog regularly and at around the same time (i.e. every Tuesday morning). If you keep up a routine and your content's worth reading then readers will start to think, "Hey, it's Tuesday. Blog X should have a new post, I'll go have a look!"

Other than that, promote it on Facebook and Twitter, install social media links so readers can like (on Facebook) and tweet your articles, which in turn advertises your post to their friends and followers, and also tweet yourself (regularly) mentioning prolific keywords such as "wrestling" or whoever is flavour of the week, whether it be Zach Ryder or whoever.

Blogspot can be a good spot for doing blogs. Like Khemical said though be unique offer a wrestling blog that is different to every other one. Hell my blog used to be updated daily talking about various shows and usually the shows that air on TV such as Raw, IMPACT, Smackdown and Superstars. I then looked at the fact UKW is on TV over here and ICW have their own online show so i started to review and talk about them.

But now it's changed. So yeah go for something unique.

Advice #1: Use AddThis.

Google it. Get it. Use it. Then use the analytics provided and increase your visibilty on the appropriate networks.

Don't get carried away with 'uniqueness'. You need a USP but that's it in that regards. Remember that Facebook was not unique. Youtube was not unique. You don't need to be unique per se. You just need to be better at 'something'.

But, yeah, use AddThis or a competitor thereof. You would be a fool not to.

If you're starting a blog then you have to offer something different. There'll be millions of those kids on YouTube doing their PPV predictions or reviews, but unless you offer something different it'll just be white noise like those kids.

Find an angle, do something unique. When you find that, get yourself a cheap shared host and install WordPress, install a free theme, and then blog regularly and at around the same time (i.e. every Tuesday morning). If you keep up a routine and your content's worth reading then readers will start to think, "Hey, it's Tuesday. Blog X should have a new post, I'll go have a look!"

Other than that, promote it on Facebook and Twitter, install social media links so readers can like (on Facebook) and tweet your articles, which in turn advertises your post to their friends and followers, and also tweet yourself (regularly) mentioning prolific keywords such as "wrestling" or whoever is flavour of the week, whether it be Zach Ryder or whoever.

Khemical's point about regularity should be taken on board.

Don't do the social media links though. Use a proper bookmarking tool instead as the benefits are huge. Again, AddThis.

The analytics will tell you where best to promote.

As for WordPress... use whatever CMS you like, they're all much the same kinda shite... but WordPress is well supported on the shared hosts.

Feel free to send me a PM for any technical/marketing questions.

:)

• Paid Members
Don't do the social media links though. Use a proper bookmarking tool instead as the benefits are huge. Again, AddThis.

AddThis is essentially the same thing though, it just adds a load of a obscure sites to the mix as well such as StumbleUpon etc. Why you suggest against allow visitors to share content on Facebook and Twitter, the two largest social networking websites on the web?

I'd agree with Wordpress. Yes it's a little bit of cash to set it up on your own hosting, but in the grand scheme of things it's worth it.

Suggestions similar to the ones above:-

- Guest on bigger sites with more readership than you. THat way you can get your name out.

- Your USP could be no pop up ads! Amazing how many blogs out there have it.

- Create a few pieces of content that are "timeless". Not things like Raw Results which will get a bit of traffic on the day (and a bit of Google traffic afterwards), but things which are shareable & create a debate. Look at the Bleacher Report, some of their articles are great. List works well, like "The Top 10 Turns of 2010"

- On my blog (plug - signature!), I use Digg Digg, as my sharing plugin, it's pretty good.

- I'd also try starting an email newsletter. At least start collecting email addresses from the very beginning. If you want to make cash and drive a shed load of traffic to your site, it's probably the best way.

AddThis is essentially the same thing though, it just adds a load of a obscure sites to the mix as well such as StumbleUpon etc. Why you suggest against allow visitors to share content on Facebook and Twitter, the two largest social networking websites on the web?

It's so not the same thing mate.

I'm not suggesting against sharing on twitter and FB (why would I). What I say is don't write the codez yourself.

With AddThis, you can configure to just use their facebook and twitter buttons if you like. Or you can use the full set to allow people to share as much as possible. There is no reason to limit your virility. One of the most popular methods of sharing is still email dude.

If you use a proper tool you save yourself development. When twitter updates their logo, your logo will be updated without the need for any work. When their URLs change, yours will too. So many people are still using the out-of-date twitter logo. Not those of us using proper tools though. We're sorted.

If you take the time to write your own links, you must maintain them yourselves. It's pointless doing this.

If you go with the 'write your own' approach then you also do not get the analytics... and that would be shit.

So, yeah, you should use a proper tool. It takes minutes to implement.

EDIT - Also, if you write links to two networks, you'll probably need to write another when you decide another is needed... a proper tool eliminates this. So LinkedIn and StumbleUpon and already catered for.

Others have done the work. You don't need to do it again!

Think Agile. Think RAD.

:)

SECOND EDIT - Proper tools, where AddThis is the clear best btw, will pick up Google+ for me... no work required on my few dozen websites. :)

Just to demonstrate that developers should be trusted ;)

• Paid Members

Although I can appreciate it may help keep you up to date with third party service URLs and branding, to say not using a service like AddThis means you don't analytics and whatnot is a bit of a misnomer.

I'm not advising against the use of AddThis at all, it's a great service and one I've used in the past.

Although I can appreciate it may help keep you up to date with third party service URLs and branding, to say not using a service like AddThis means you don't analytics and whatnot is a bit of a misnomer.

I'm not advising against the use of AddThis at all, it's a great service and one I've used in the past.

No it isn't.

I was mentioned by rohpete - thanks for that. Yes, I use blogspot.com and I have now bought a domain as you can see in my sig. To be honest, I wish I was running off Wordpress because it seems you can do more with it, if you have a smart phone, look for the wrestlechat.net app, that runs off Wordpress, these things seem to work better off WP.

As for advice, I run one yes and all I can say to you is KEEP IT UPDATED, this is where I fall short the most popular wrestling related blog in the world, does have other sports on there and MMA but what stands it apart from the others, as there are so many writers for them they have about 6-9 articles PER DAY going up and the editor himself does quite a few, this blog is http://camelclutchblog.com and is run by former cZw, ROH announcer Eric Gargiulo.

Hope this helps

EZ

To be honest, I wish I was running off Wordpress because it seems you can do more with it, if you have a smart phone, look for the wrestlechat.net app, that runs off Wordpress, these things seem to work better off WP.

Don't suffer from "imposter syndrome".

Most CMS are much the same. If you are up-and-running and feel well supported by your host there is no need to change from one CMS to another.

For an ASP.NET CMS, we wrote our own. Using that we can achieve better results long-term with far less bloat, and the interface smokes Kentico, Umbraco, Drupal etc... there is nothing clever about any CMS.

So, yeah, don't feel bad for not using WordPress. In fact, you can feel a bit smug because at work we laugh at WordPress. (Although, to be fair, that's only because we eat PHP for breakfast)

(What you state about things running better off WordPress was a falsehood. A script is a script.)

Here's a link you may like: http://sixrevisions.com/web-development/ho...hat-cms-to-use/

Archived