Misused wrestlers

King Pitcos

Scott Steiner's WWE run is a major one for me. I think the long match with Triple H where he was badly exposed due to playing against his strengths solidified the impression that he was on his last legs in 2003, but here he is almost a decade later having pretty good matches and staying consistently over.

I personally think coming in as a heel, preferably on the Smackdown side, would have made a world of difference - it wasn't like they were overstocked with credible, dominant heels at the time, what with all the flip-flopping Kurt Angle was doing and them having to push the then-useless Big Show into a title run. I think matches with the likes of Angle, Lesnar and Benoit could have worked to his strengths a lot more effectively than Triple H and Test did.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike Awesome springs to mind. He was given that stupid 'fat chicks' gimmick in WCW and was tarred with 'doesn't know how to work' brush in WWE. Maybe there's some truth to that, but given his look and size I always thought he could be pushed as a monster heel, powerbombing the fuck out of guys and flying off the top rope with that amazing splash of his. He wasn't a great promo guy, but if they were kept short and intense, like Sid's, it would've helped to establish him as a killer.

DDP wasn't used to his full potential in WWE either - I was intrigued by his derranged motivational speaker gimmick, but they just seemed to lose interest in him and that was that.

Kane, Despite hating everything about him for many years he really has been mis-used. Towards the late 90s he really could have been a major playa. The mask worked a treat and he wasn't that bad in the ring. Fast forward a few years when he gets unmasked, they still manage to make him look like a monster which leads up to a dreadful Kane/HHH/Goldberg match and then his career goes down the shitter. Sadly this shitter hasn't been flushed down for over 7 years. He has gradually got worse in the ring and his character has been too tarnished to take him seriously.

Archived