UK Wrestling Experience

mickfan

Came across this on one of the shittier free Sky channels. Expected the worst (after once seeing a Scott Future documentary on this channel about how he keeps fit despite having moobs) but was pleasantly suprised. They gave the warehouse it was filmed in a daft 'iMpact zone' style name like the Mayhem Zone.

Rob Cage was a great antagonist playing to the role really well.

Big Bad Albert was great too. A big bulky hulk of a man who looked like he could kill folk. Best on the show for me.

Danny Steel looked like he would fit in on the US scene with his look.

Louie Paradise had a shit haircut charva's round these parts would sport but there was something likeable about the little tyke.

Overall, I viewed the show with an open mind and liked it. Would be easy to write these shows off but Im all for a company doing well and getting itself on the telly. Good on them!

mychannel has a link to an episode (not sure, but I assume it's the latest one, as it's on there on-demand type service).

here

I'm watching it now.

My first impression is that the ring announcer looks and acts like Steve Coogan in some type of character. I've also never seen a ring announcer chewing gum while working.

Six minutes in, and I'm wondering how this got on TV. The presenter sounds like he's being recorded in a tunnel, the filming & editing is pretty awful and the photographer is wearing a John Cena t-shirt. The MC chewing gum is pretty shabby too.

Six minutes in, and I'm wondering how this got on TV.

Because the promoter paid for the slot.

I see. You'd think that if they were gonna pay money to be on TV, they'd pay money to get a decent camera crew and that kind of stuff.

Six minutes in, and I'm wondering how this got on TV.

Because the promoter paid for the slot.

I see. You'd think that if they were gonna pay money to be on TV, they'd pay money to get a decent camera crew and that kind of stuff.

couldnt agree more, dunno if its improved but when I endured it when it first aired I couldnt understand the audio yet they continued to not only air inaudible commentary but also promos, there seems to be very few on the roster that should be on credible shows let alone TV. If anyone who thought about going to a British wrestling show for the first time asked if there was anything to watch to see what British wrestling is like I wouldnt even consider mentioning this show as I fear it would put off potential attendees

• Paid Members

I'm gonna bring up a few positives. I liked the opening graphics, although they weren't as sharp as they should be I felt the idea was right. I also like the title belt, however we didn't get a clear enough shot of it. The venue looks really good, if they could fill that it would look fantastic on TV, the crowd that were there seemed to be enjoying the show, at least the kids did, so that's good. I also liked the commentary set up, I think it looked very professional. This product has potential but really needs some work too.

Why on earth was there a photographer walking around ringside in a John Cena shirt? This absolutely should not happen whether for TV or not. Get him in a UKW t-shirt. Any member of crew that is visible to the fans or the TV/DVD audience should be in UKW branded clothes, not only does it look more professional, but its more discreet than a bright orange John Cena shirt!

The venue needs to be better lit, its all a little dark.

1 camera angle is no use whatsoever, it just looks shit. 2 or 3 angles should be the bare minimum. You need to be able to have that fixed angle that gets you on level with the ring more, but the roaming cam is very essential too. You have the spot during the title match where Rob Cage and Dylan Roberts went up the balcony area, the camera didn't follow and failed to keep on the action when it was visible. It looked as though someone was gonna get thrown off the balcony but them they just came back down the stairs, it looked odd. During this time Dylan Roberts got busted open, again it didn't come across clear on camera how he got busted open.

I'm typing this as I watch, having now moved onto the next stage of the show I see we now have multiple angles including a crane cam? Excellent, good step forward, but stop moving the bloody thing while it's filming! When changing positions I think they would look tidier to cut to the other angle. Try not to use different types of camera too. One angle looks really dark while the other is much brighter.

People need to be more aware of what's going on around them. I noticed the photographer and the referee both got between the action and the camera, obviously this could have been covered up by using a different angle had it been available.

I think the MC's sound needs to be recorded in the same fashion as the commentators rather then being picked up by the camera through the sound system. It's just not coming across well enough. Speaking of which, the presenter at the start needs to be better mic'd too. It's no good sticking him in what must be a rather large room and have him just talk to the camera because it just sounds echoy and shit.

A 30 minute match felt too long for TV, especially as the opener. Admittedly they're several shows in so anyone who has been following this is probably going to feel differently. I felt after half an hour I should have seen 2 matches and at least 1 non-action segment.

Finally I wasn't keen in the structure of the show, that's just my personal taste of course, but I don't think the roundup show style is the way to go. I'd have them present it with more of a live feel. Have the commentators introduce the show and the segments. Have them introduce the breaks and do the welcome backs. Be sure to get the camera on them at key points when they're doing the links.

After sky+ing it I often found out that the channel had shown a different program or if im lucky(?) UK Wrestling Experience might start 10mins before the end of sky+ recording.

Shame, I used to enjoy watching FWA and LDN wrestling on tv - but I gave up trying to watch this after having to sit through some random crazy music show or some mind numbing tv show instead of what was listed.

• Paid Members

I watched one episode which started with a 3-Way match. In the next segment one of the guys in that match was revealed as the owner and did a sit down interview with some dumpy girl. He stated in this interview that he was in training and didn't want to be the main focus of the show. The final segment was a rumble where our hero was one of the final two men, the other being some giant. All was going well until two other lads ran in and put the boot in and the big fella managed to eliminate this modest trainee.

To be fair, there was also a womens match on the show that he wasn't involved in at all.

Archived