tech issues :(

Chris_Stone

Right, so my pc is pretty much dead - I think it's the graphics card as opposed to anything else. when i turn my pc on with the graphics card in, the fan on the card starts, but it gets loud as it tries to spin faster, then goes slower again - it keeps doing that over and over, it seems like it doesn't manage to boot up the gfx card properly.

The pc had been turning off randomly every so often, i thought it was general over heating and so had made sure the fan for the CPU and the graphics card were ok but now it just wont send signal to the monitor at all.

I've tried to put the monitor into the onboard graphics slot, but it wont send anything from there, but i think i tried that before and it never did anyway.

Basically, i know i've not given much info here, i'll get the Mobo model and such if anyone thinks they can help but i'm wondering whether it's possible that i might need to wire more up to get the onboard graphics going? I don't remember having to do that with any other mobo though.

Another question: If the graphics weren't to initialize, should the pc still boot up windows? I've left the pc on, had the speakers up in an attempt to hear whether it reached windows, but it's pretty obvious to me it hasn't - If it were just the graphics would it boot that far?

Any speculation or info would be massively appreciated at this juncture.

Have you tried putting the PC on its side, then turning it on? Even upside down! This happened to me a couple of years back, and I struggled to find an answer to why it was doing it, my PC wasn't recognising the monitor and it also was making weird noises as if it wasn't booting up properly. I read somewhere to put it on its side and that did the trick! The weird thing is it hasn't done for about two years, it's a very odd problem.

I have tried it on its side actually - not because i thought it might help, simply because i couldn't be bothered to turn it up each time after tinkering on the inside, i will however try it upside down... that is once i screw the hard drive in place at least since atm that'd just make it fall out :) thanks for the idea!

• Paid Members

Might be a stupid question but have you tried removing the Graphics Card before you tried plugging the Monitor onto the On Board slot? I wasted an entire day when I was building my first PC because I didn't realise I had the Monitor plugged into the on-board card, which wouldn't send a signal.

The random turning off does sound like a heat issue but the start up problems could just be a POST problem. Try unplugging all your peripherals and then booting up with just the Monitor, mouse and keyboard plugged in. You'd be surprised how many times that's fixed things for me.

Yeah I took the graphics card out when I tried the onboard graphics and no luck.

A little more information:

The graphics card i use is the geforce 250GTS E-Green by pallit - it has a connection for an extra power lead straight from the PSU. When i have that plugged in, is when i have the fan issues (going fast, slowing down, going fast etc) when it's not plugged in it tends to just run on a slower speed but still shows no sign of a signal being sent to the monitor.

Ok a little information, my mobo is the GA-73PVM-S2H - I've cleared CMOS since i was told this might be the reason the onboard graphics weren't initializing and have had no luck with anything appearing on the screen when using the onboard connections.

I'm not sure what to do next, as there's very little information i can find.

Any ideas?

I'm having my graphics card tested some time in the next few days, to make sure it's not actually an issue with the mobo or CPU but i'm pretty sure it's the card.

Right, seems i've solved somethings here, i used an old mobo / cpu (which are supposed to be broken...) and it's working, but i was getting the same issue of no graphic with certain setups of my ram... it seems that the ram was the issue that made me buy a new mobo / cpu and that made me think my new setup was dead... yipee! :(

Oh well, a new graphics card, a bit more ram and i'll have enough working pieces for 2 pc's :D

Archived