MSN Live Messenger 2011 being a cunt

Dean Ayass

Ever since I upgraded from MSN Windows Live Messenger 2009 to 2011, I can't get my webcam to work, even though it's configured in Tools and Set up audio and video devices.

The webcam button itself has entirely disappeared and if I try to make a video call, it ends the call as soon as the other person accepts it.

Can anyone tell me how to sort this out, and please talk to me in plain English, all the guides I've read so far either refer to buttons on my Control Panel that don't exist or talk in indecipherable geekery. Thank you.

Pissed off Ayass.

For some reason, they removed the "view/send webcam" option. It's video calls only now, which seems to be a massive step backwards and I don't see the point of it at all. I've had trouble with the video calls connecting as well, and don't have an exact answer for how to solve it, but I have had success by making sure the "show others that I have a webcam" box is ticked and then quitting (not just signing out) and restarting MSN.

I uninstalled MSN 2011 the same day I installed it. Horrible software. Took so long to sign in and kept signing me out every few minutes. I'd go back to 2009's version if I were you.

You can't. Everytime you try to sign in, it demands you update first. The only way around the forced update is to run the 2009 one in Windows 2000 compatibility mode, but then that stops the video call stuff from working anyway.

• Paid Members
That's strange, I didn't need to do that. I'm using Vista and Windows Live 2009. It doesn't ask me to update at all. Can still do video calls.

I went ages after I downgraded before it asked me to upgrade, but sadly it forced me. It's annoying cos one of my mates moved to Cyprus last year and his laptop doesn't like video call, but it worked ok with the view/send cam option which MSN randomly decided to remove. I really don't get why they did that.

Archived