UKFF FIFA 11 PS3 League: Season One Thread

TUFCfan

Ok, I've merged the awards for this period seeing as we had a few week 4 and week 5 games to play. It's been a right twat going back through all those weeks mostly because I had to read through Wwffan's shite but the finished article should be worth it. There's a new Golden Boot leader and a two time nomination for Player of the week for the same person plus some epic games to read up on that came in during this period.

As for my thoughts on ending the season after one round of matches or carrying on for the full two if pressed on the matter I'd like to carry on (mainly because if Madrid pull of the signings of Aguero and Coentrao as they're rumoured to be doing then I'll be a house of fire!) but can also see the benefis of calling a halt to the season early. I reckon we see how the next couple of weeks go and see what's happening with Ebb as at the moment he appears to be uncontactable and it would be a shame to have to replace another player.

As for the end of season I have decided to trial something as we're getting close and see if it works. The UKFF LMA would like all managers participating in the league to register a vote for Manager of The Season and Player Of The Season. They should be PM'd to myself for ballotting. I will set out the guidelines closer to the end of the season so don't vote just yet but I'm thinking that you cannot vote for yourself for manager although you could vote for your own player (although some reasonable nomination must be sought) to help the process I'll repost all the weeks write ups. So on with the show....

WEEK 5

Bayern Munich 1 v 2 A.C. Milan Pato (2)

Gomez

Only Bayerns second defeat of the campaign and it came against the impressive Milan who continue to quetly creep up the table. Milan were already two up when Bayern netted their consolation and the Bayern boss was modest in defeat in admitting the best side won.

Dortmund 2 v 2 Everton Pienaar, Cahill

Barrios (2)

A close contest that saw Dortmund fighting hard to prise themselves away fromhefoot of the table. Both sides could have won it late on but both managers satisfied with a share of the points in the end.

Man City 4 v 2 Juventus Kunt (2)

Tevez 2

Dzeko

Milner

Man City dispatched Juventus with some ease after a short break away. A brace from Carlos Tevez helping them to all three points.

Napoli 1 v 0 Arsenal

Cannavaro.

A game of headed chances for Napoli that saw several of their chances hit teh woodwork. Arsenal strived to create but found it difficult to get into a passing rhythm. Afterwards Arsenal boss Mr Metallica blamed the poor playing surface and some tweeks to the downloaded patch! Hello Arsene?! ;)

Real Madrid 0 v 0 Atletico Madrid

The Catalan derby ended as a goaless draw but it was Real who were more content with the point as they had to withstand a barrage of attacking play from their neighbours. Luckily for them Forlan for once decided to leave his shooting boots at home.

Tottenham 2 v 1 Chelsea Torres

Lennon

Pienaar

Neither manager could agree after this game. The Chelsea boss complained about the hard tackling employed by his Tottenham counterpart but the Spurs was quick to defend his charges and as they came away with all three points you would have to say that they got their tactics spot on.

A.C. Milan 1 v 0 Napoli

Boeteng

A tight affair that was won with the solitary goal. Milan are right up there pushing Chelsea and Barcelona all the way and as long as they've got the stamina they could be the quiet horse coming up on the rails.

Aston Villa 4 v 0 Liverpool

Bent (3)

Agbonlahor

Villa had been having a rough time of things lately and needed the perfect tonic to bounce back with. A 4-0 drubbing of Liverpool may give them the springboard up the table that they so desire. A fine hattrick by Darren Bent and a 2nd of the season for Agbonlahor made it all possible.

Atletico Madrid 1 v 0 Man City

Felipe

Well Athletico managed to end City's unbeaten run and as a result cemented their own position in the chasing pack at the top of the league.

Barcelona 2 v 0 Dortmund

Pique

Xavi

Very modestly Barcelona's boss Lawz praised his counterpart after todays victory by stating that he was surprised at Dortmunds low position after gutsy displays like they showed against his title chasers. One could argue that Barca were fortunate that Dortmund had a man sent off as this contributed to the opening goal. The Dortmund manager was also full of praise for his side and contempt for the ref - "That was never a red card!" he raged!

Chelsea 4 v 1 Inter Milan Cambiasso

Malouda

Drogba (2)

Essien

A landslide victory for the league leaders as Inter's erratic form continues. Rumours abound at the moment that new Inter supremo Delia Smith is possibly looking into replacing boss El Nicko Locko with Mike Walker. More on this story later. Drogba continued to creep up the scorer charts as Chelsea ran wild!

Everton 0 v 1 Bayern Munich Robben

A tight affair between two closely matched sides. Bayern took the spoils with a single goal scored by Arjen Robben. Everton may class themselves as a little hard done by as their performance warranted at least a share of the spoils.

Juventus 3 v 1 Tottenham Modric

Del Piero

Marchioso

Sissoko

Spurs were very unlucky to lose to such a Kunt.

Man Utd 0 v 5 Real Madrid Adebayor (3), Ronaldo, kaka

The second time in a week that Madrid recorded a 5-0 scoreline to put themselves 2nd top scorers in the league. Another hat trick for Adebayor too as he finds himself at teh top of the scoring charts having come from nowhere. Once more a spirited showing from United just let down by some bad luck in front of goal. They'll play worse and win.

WEEK 4 :

Man City 4 v 0 Aston Villa

Dzeko (2)

Tevez

Silva

After a slow start to his career at City Edin Dzeko added a brace of goals to add to his already registered 2 for the season. Villa tried in vain to mount a comeback but City kept cutting them off and further goals from top scorer Tevez and Silva ended the game comfortably for City.

Aston Villa 2 v 4 Tottenham Crouch (3), Defoe

Bent

Young

An excellent topsy turvy game that could've gone either way. Villa twice took the lead in the first half and had a goal ruled offside right on the whistle at the break. Spurs needed to improve and improve they did. Crouch scored twice more to add to his first half effort and Defoe completed teh scoring to give Spurs a very hard fought three points.

Juventus 0 v 5 Real Madrid (Ronaldo, Kaka, Adebayor 3)

A Controversial game that resulted in much maligned Juventus boss WWFFAN2 throwing his toys out of the pram and being ousted from proceedings by the LMA for being a Komplete Kunt! He had to endure his sides capitualtion before he was able to leave though and left many scratching their heads when he claimed after the game his side won by 2 goals to 1.

Man Utd 1 v 3 Napoli Cavani, Lavezzi (2)

Berbatov

Man Utds new manager was unveiled today for his first game in charge. Unfortunately it wasn't a happy occassion for him as his side put up a good fight but ultimately lost to the resourceful Italians. Napoli proved that it was all about not how many chances you create but how many you score as some clinical finishing won them the points. Another brace for Lavezzi sees him moving up the scorer charts.

WEEK 3 :

Man City 1 v 0 Inter Milan

Dzeko

An acrobatic overhead kick from Citys lanky streak of piss settled this one. Both managers complained about lag but the result stood as Nicko graciously declined Rob's offer to replay the match.

REMAINING FIXTURES :

WEEK 5 -

Inter Milan v Aston Villa

Liverpool v Barcelona

Roma v Man Utd

Arsenal v Roma

WEEK 4 -

Bayern Munich v Man Utd

Atletico Madrid v Roma

END OF WEEK AWARDS.

Match of the Week - Aston Villa 2 - 4 Tottenham. Spurs came out on top in this epic battle from week 4 but it could've gone either way with Villa being denied a goal right on half time that would've put them 3-1 up. By the looks of the early results for this week it would seem Spurs have been involved in another cracker!

Team of the Week - Juventus. Just kidding. It's hard to award this decision to Real Madrid again without being concerned about bias but in a week that saw them score ten goals and concede none (including two 5-0 victories and a goaless draw) it's hard to look anywhere else. SInce the blackout they've looked like a different team but may struggle to get amongst the big boys due to their erratic early form.

Player of the week - Emmanuel Adebayor. Another Madrid vote this time for the man who scored two hat tricks this week to put him right amongst the contenders for the golden boot.

TOP SCORERS. -

Emanuel Adebayor - 13

Diego Forlan - 12

Didier Drogba - 12

Mario Gomez - 10

Fernando Torres - 8

Jermaine Defoe - 7

Peter Crouch - 7

Edison Cavani - 7

David Villa - 7

Carlos Tevez - 6

Zlatan Ibrahimovic - 6

Cristiano Ronaldo - 6

Edin Dzeko - 6

Darren Bent - 6

Robinho - 5

Fabio Quagliarella - 5

Louis Saha - 5

Pato - 5

Kaka - 4

Andy Carroll - 4

Sergio Aguero - 4

Tim Cahill - 4

Florent Malouda - 4

Ezequiel Lavezzi - 4

Dirk Kuyt - 3

Jose Reyes - 3

Diego Milito - 3

David Silva - 3

Lucas Barrios - 3

Steven Pienaar - 3

Arjen Robben - 3

Franck Ribery - 2

Daniel Agger - 2

Antonio Cassano - 2

Vicenzo Iaquinta - 2

Mikel Arteta - 2

Robin Van Persie - 2

Wesley Sneijder - 2

Samuel Eto'o - 2

Lionel Messi - 2

Roman Pavlyuchecnko - 2

Christian Chivu - 2

Anatoli Tymoshuck - 2

Mario Suarez - 2

Marek Hamsik - 2

Ashley Young - 2

Gabby Agbonlahor - 2

Paolo Cannavaro - 2

Gerard Pique - 2

Michael Essien - 2

Luka Modric - 2

Dimi Berbatov - 2

Mohammed Sissoko

Andrea Barzagli

Alessandro Del Piero

Xavi

Claudio Marchioso

Jeremy Menez

Raul Meireles

Mario Balotelli

Karim Benzema

Sergio Ramos

Fernando Melo

Steven Gerrard

Maicon

Tomas Ufalusji

Darren Beckford

Ibrahim Afellay

Nani

Walter Samuel

Wayne Rooney

Carlos Cueller

Christian Maggio

Marouane Chamakh

Aaron Lennon

Andrei Arshavin

Kevin Prince-Boeteng

Frank Lampard

Luis Suarez

Milos Krasic

James Milner

Felipe

Marko Vucinic

Alessandro Nesta

Victor Ruiz (all Scored 1 goal)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man City 3 - 1 Man Utd

Silva x 2

Milner

Berbatov

Ferdinand (Red Card)

Man City win a game which could have ended in a much more dominant scoreline. With only 4 minutes gone, Utd cleared one off of the line before Silva made it 1-0. Berbatov responded immediately from a corner, Man City cannot defend corners regardless of the opposition. Man City then knocked on the door for the rest of the first half with Silva rattling the cross-bar from close rang and Dzeko missing a header on the run. The turning point came when Dzeko beat his man only to be taken down cynically by the last man Ferdinand who was soon given his marching orders by the referee. Silva stepped up and curled home the freekick from 22 yards out. Milner rounded up the game in the 89th minute with a thunderous strike from just inside the area after nice play by David Silva.

(Was a fun game to play albeit frustrating, couldn't get any offensive rhythm going and it showed through the misplaced passes. Utd will be a force I feel in the latter half of the season IMO, slow start but clearly has potential)

Dortmund 0 - 0 Napoli

A fairly close game that lacked quality. Dortmund almost scored in the first half when Barrios was free in the area but hit a weak shot on the turn straight at De Sanctis. Later on Campagnaro hit the crossbar with a header from a corner in Napoli's best effort of the half. Napoli led the shot count at half time but most of them were speculative efforts. In the second half Hamsik forced a decent save from the Dortmund 'keeper, and in Dortmund's best chance of the second half Barrios was put through on goal but elected to try one from long range when taking the ball in to the area may have produced a better result. Napoli had a chance to win the game in injury time but Hamsik's corner was bravely taken down low in the six yard area by the Dortmund goalkeeper.

Dortmund 0 - 0 Napoli

A fairly close game that lacked quality. Dortmund almost scored in the first half when Barrios was free in the area but hit a weak shot on the turn straight at De Sanctis. Later on Campagnaro hit the crossbar with a header from a corner in Napoli's best effort of the half. Napoli led the shot count at half time but most of them were speculative efforts. In the second half Hamsik forced a decent save from the Dortmund 'keeper, and in Dortmund's best chance of the second half Barrios was put through on goal but elected to try one from long range when taking the ball in to the area may have produced a better result. Napoli had a chance to win the game in injury time but Hamsik's corner was bravely taken by the Dortmund goalkeeper down low in the six yard area.

Good game mate. Thought for the most part of that you were the much better team and at times had to defend well to keep myself in the game, was a shocking miss from Barrios (not the first time he has done that in this tourney!) and the late shot I had to do as I didn't feel he had the pace to run it into the box. :laugh:

Well played though but am delighted to take a point given my form in this league. :thumbsup:

the late shot I had to do as I didn't feel he had the pace to run it into the box. :laugh:

I was glad you did that because as soon as the ball went through and he was clear I just thought uh oh, one down :laugh:

Just an update if either Nicko or Scorpion Deathlock are reading - I've sent PSN friend requests to you both to hopefully get the games done either tonight or tomorrow night if that suits you, as I'm away over the weekend.

If you're not about I'm sure I can work a way around it. Cheers.

Arsenal 2 - 4 Real Madrid. Diarra (44) Adebayor (50, 61) Ronaldo (88)

Van Persie (6)

Arshavin (33)

Fucking hard work this one. Quite why Arsenal are down the bottom is beyond me. Metallica and his boys really had Madrid on the ropes in the first half after taking an early lead through Van Persie. MAdrid couldn't get the ball off them and Arsenal controlled possession perfectly and deservedly took a 2-0 lead around the half hour mark. Five minutes before half time Real Madrid changed to a 4-3-3 formation and brought Benzema on for Di Maria and the move instantly worked as Diarra broke from midfield and slotted confidently home.

Madrid were much better in the second half and Adebayor continued his goal scoring exploits when he got Madrid level early on in teh half. He would then add his second and Madrids third a little later. The last 15 minutes was end to end with Arsenal pushing for an equaliser and coming close when they hit the woodwork but as they pushed more men forward it left them exposed to the counter and just 2 minutes from time they were punished by Cristiano Ronaldo.

Madrid remain unbeaten since the blackout. Can we get hacked every week? ;)

Great game Metallica. Real battle. Looking forward to the reverse fixture already!

Real Madrid 4 Arsenal 2

From 2 up in the first half to losing 4-2 by the end of the 2nd :(

I was pleased with how I played though, not played FIFA since the last UKFF game weeks ago so expected to be destroyed and though I lost 4-2, I don't think that really reflects how close the game was. Enjoyable match and good to get back playing though. Hopefully I'll have more luck next time :D

Really annoys me how the players don't mark people on corners though, I tried to get my guys near to Adebayor and he still walks in with a clear header...it's like the game decides that there's going to be a goal and you can't do anything to stop it.

"Great game Metallica. Real battle. Looking forward to the reverse fixture already! "

Yeah mate me too, if you want to play a friendly sometime just catch me on PSN.

Barcelona 2-2 Bayern Munich

Villa, Iniesta - Olic (2)

Cracking game and once again Bayern prove tough to win against. A moment of genius to spot David Villa on the 27th minute and he cut up a defender before rifling the ball past the keeper to give Barca the lead. Thats how it stayed until the second half when on 50 minutes Olic netted a low volley after Valdes came wandering trying to stop a cross. Soon after Olic again with a neat header that beat Valdes. Barca found a way back into the match with a well crafted passing move, Iniesta started and finished it and the spoils were shared. Both sides had chances to win, Puyol's diving header rebounding off the bar, Robbens shot also hitting the bar and nearly falling into the net.

Barcelona 2 - 2 Bayern Munich

Villa, Iniesta Olic 2

An excellent game that lit up the Nou Camp. I had to shake off a lot of rustiness, playing PES 5 on PS2 since the PSN Blackout.

Barcelona played their passing game from the opening minute, but Bayern restricted them to long shots, without offering too much of their own threat. Barcelona took the lead when Villa cut inside Van Buyten and buried a fine strike beyond Butt into the bottom corner from the edge of the area on 30 minutes. Bayern continued to look out of sorts for the remainder of the half. Bayern's first meaningful attack of the second half saw Ribery show Dani Alves a clean set of heels and whip in a vicious left footed cross that left Valdes in two minds and disected Puyol and Pique to find an onrushing Ivica Olic to crash in a half volley at the back post. Game on, and only a 2nd appearance of the season for Olic, who then began his stake for a claim to a first team spot. 10 minutes or so later, Ribery again made a mockery of Dani Alves' defensive abilities and skinned him to the byline, before producing a lofted left footed ball that was met with aplomb by Olic again who made no mistake from 6 yards with a crashing header to silence the Nou Camp. Barca hit back with a well worked move, finished off with Iniesta rolling into an empty net. Bayern then should have had a free kick on the edge of the Barca area but the ref played advantage when there was none, Barca almost rubbed salt into their wounds when they hit the bar, the ball hacked off the line by captain Lahm. Barca pressed for the final 10 minutes in search of a winner, but Bayern's counter attacking football nearly rewarded them with all 3 points when Robbens 30 yard curler from an acute angle smashed against the underside of the bar and onto Victor Valdes' shoulder and rolled agonisingly along the line and out of danger. A fantastic game of football, which looking back, Barca would have probably won if Alves could defend and Ribery didn't deliver two moments of excellence.

Aston Villa 4 - Inter Milan 2

Darren Bent x 3, Gabriel Agbonlahor 1

<not sure of the scorers for Inter, El Nicko can you fill the blanks? ;)

A very hard fought, and close game. Villa managed to get 2 goals almost mirroring each other. The first featured Gabby Agbonlahor breaking through the defence, forcing the keeper to rush out, but passing a perfect square ball to Darren Bent to make it one - nil. Darren then did the same and squared Agbonlahor to make it two. However Inter hit back just before the half time whistle with a perfectly curled cross from the left flank converted into a high running header, leaving the Villa defence very shaky once again. The 2nd half was much like the first with both sides having around equal possession. Ben again fired in two strong strikes to seemingly make it a conformable win, but Inter again came back with lots of pressure, which eventually allowed them grab another goal around the 80 min mark. Attempting to salvage something from the game however Brad Friedel made some game winning saves and kept the contest at 4-2.

A very enjoyable game, hopefully I can keep the momentum going and churn out some more wins.

Inter Milan 1 - 0 Juventus.

Sneijder (71)

My debut in the league saw an all Italian clash against Nicko's Inter Milan at the San Siro. A fairly scrappy first half saw a combative midfield tussle, but Juventus arguably had the clearer chances, with Del Piero putting one straight at the keeper and Aquilani missing a sitter with a tame header from 5 yards out.

Inter, however, looked dangerous on the break and came out all guns blazing in the second half with a succession of saves from Buffon keeping the score level. The game was decided in the 71st minute after a good cross from the right wing was smashed home superbly on the volley by Wesley Sneijder. A move to 3-4-3 didn't do much for Juve as Inter saw out the rest of the game with relative ease.

Archived