Tickets for foreign football matches

Scorpion_Deathlock

Depends who exactly you want to go and see mate, my brother and I went to Mainz and Frankfurt last month and I would highly highly reccomend Germany.

We ordered tickets online via each of their websites, the tickets for Mainz vs Wolfsburg were 23euro each and for the FSV Frankfurt game the tickets were 9euro each and that included all of your train and underground travel there and back for the day.

As alluded to above, it depends who you want to see.

Many games (even Barcelona/Real/AC/Inter) you can just turn up on the day & get tickets. The only ones you can't are the really huge games (Barcelona vs Real, AC vs Inter). It's similar to the situation in this country. If you want to watch Wigan Athletic play Wolves, and you don't mind sitting in the Wigan end, then you turn up on the day. But Liverpool vs. Manchester United you'll struggle to get anywhere.

Same is similar for European game tickets (though if they detect you have an English accent when an English team is playing, you'll get told to sod off), it's also remarkably cheap - I went to watch Debrecen vs PSV in the European Cup for less than a fiver.

If you do go and see a big team, then I'd book in advance, but it should be straight forward through the internet. You may get a printout ticket (like you sometimes get with concerts).

One team I really go and want to see play (and I recommend it to you) is St. Pauli of Hamburg. Basically they have a reputation of being an anarchistic club. It's perfectly safe, hooliganism & right wing nationalism - whilst not banned - is completely not welcome at the club, but you can drink in the stands & stuff, and it's close to the nightclub area of the city.

Good luck! Again, it'll be a LOT easier if we know who you want to see :)

One final tip: read http://europeanfootballweekends.blogspot.com/ & contact Danny through the site (if you have twitter - check out @DannyLast), the guy organises trips to European games for large groups of fans, it may be worth checking his blog (as well as mine) out!

Thanks for the replies, some really good info there. In terms of teams I'm looking to watch - Bayern Munich, Napoli & Barcelona are the main three - not really bothered who there playing, obviously it would be great to be in the nou camp for El Classico but as rhyswynne mentioned it'll be harder to get tickets for the big games.

• Paid Members

Agree with rhys, St Pauli are a fantastic club to the point where I consider myself a supporter, and basically the complete opposite of the 'modern game' - But any game in Germany is a heck of a lot cheaper than any Prem game - plus they still have the old terraces in some stadiums - Dortmund, St Pauli and Bayern Munich honorable mentions.

So Germany all the way, friendly people and banter too.

Archived