An offer to any promotions who don't have a web presence...

sentinel618

Please get in contact if you are or know a British/ European wrestling promotion representative who's promotion does not have a web presence.

I would like to discuss a 100% free offer.

I can be messaged here or by following email/ msn links within my profile.

As you'll see from my pitiful post count I don't spend any where near as much time here as I would like so please don't hold that against me!

Chris

Just a quick update for those of you who may have thought 'yeah right there's some kind of scam going on'.

Some details:

I offer a dedicated section of my site, much the same as this: TWA Example Section and my services in keeping things updated (provided you actually supply me with content to update with).

Any questions/ comments? Reply here/ PM me or check my profile for email/ msn info.

Chris

I'm presuming The Wrestling Archive is a collation of UK promotions' results, titleholders etc. Are you using some sort of database-powered solution to collate this information, or is it all static HTML/CSS?

Your presumption would be absolutely correct. Not just UK, although I am focussing on European promotions at the moment.

I have tried various database-type solutions and wasn't satisfied by any of them so it's almost entirely static html/css.

• Paid Members
I'm presuming The Wrestling Archive is a collation of UK promotions' results, titleholders etc. Are you using some sort of database-powered solution to collate this information, or is it all static HTML/CSS?

Your presumption would be absolutely correct. Not just UK, although I am focussing on European promotions at the moment.

I have tried various database-type solutions and wasn't satisfied by any of them so it's almost entirely static html/css.

May be better in the long run for maintainability. What solutions did you look at out of interest?

May be better in the long run for maintainability. What solutions did you look at out of interest?

I looked at a couple of custom CMS products, PHP, ASP, and several websites. After weighing up the pros and cons of the solutions I checked, HTML seemed the only viable option.

I looked at a couple of custom CMS products, PHP, ASP, and several websites. After weighing up the pros and cons of the solutions I checked, HTML seemed the only viable option.

What didn't hit the mark with the options you looked at, like?

I found from the websites I looked at, the database driven ones all had a very similar, almost sterile feel, which as a wrestling fan first and foremost, I was completely put off by.

I have worked on a number of wrestling websites, usually filling in as a favour while the usual webmaster(s) were unavailable for whatever reason, some of which already had a database foundation and others which have since had 'make-overs' to a database driven style and it just feels wrong and totally unnecessary.

I am not by any means, against database-driven sites, however only in the correct usage and not because it's the 'fashionable' thing to use.

• Paid Members

I found from the websites I looked at, the database driven ones all had a very similar, almost sterile feel, which as a wrestling fan first and foremost, I was completely put off by.

I have worked on a number of wrestling websites, usually filling in as a favour while the usual webmaster(s) were unavailable for whatever reason, some of which already had a database foundation and others which have since had 'make-overs' to a database driven style and it just feels wrong and totally unnecessary.

I am not by any means, against database-driven sites, however only in the correct usage and not because it's the 'fashionable' thing to use.

A good database-powered solution would not dictate the design, sounds like the ones you did look at weren't too hot if it's functionality drove its appearance.

Take the One Pro Wrestling and PBW Wrestling websites. Both look completely different, yet both use the same content management system framework. They're both driven by a bespoke CMS developed specifically for wrestling websites.

A good database-powered solution would not dictate the design, sounds like the ones you did look at weren't too hot if it's functionality drove its appearance.

Take the One Pro Wrestling and PBW Wrestling websites. Both look completely different, yet both use the same content management system framework. They're both driven by a bespoke CMS developed specifically for wrestling websites.

Both those sites were included (although obviously not directly referred to) in my comments above. I have worked on the 1PW site in the past and was completely against the re-design when Danny showed me how it would look.

And, yes, while I agree both look different, there is a very similar feel about both the sites, which if that's what Danny & Ross wanted, is absolutely their choice but for me personally it just gave me more reason to not go down the database route.

• Paid Members
And, yes, while I agree both look different, there is a very similar feel about both the sites, which if that's what Danny & Ross wanted, is absolutely their choice but for me personally it just gave me more reason to not go down the database route.

The point I was making is the design is completely removed from any software as it's just HTML and CSS templates. Both designs were produced independently; I created the design for the PBW website and a colleague designed the One Pro Wrestling website, so any similarities may be down to the subject matter but is completely agnostic from the platform they reside on.

The point I was making is the design is completely removed from any software as it's just HTML and CSS templates. Both designs were produced independently; I created the design for the PBW website and a colleague designed the One Pro Wrestling website, so any similarities may be down to the subject matter but is completely agnostic from the platform they reside on.

I fully understand your point however it does not address the fact that, looks aside, the websites 'feel' very similar which is something I strongly dislike and was one of the major arguments against using database driven (such as CMS) styles.

CMS has almost become 'Updating A Website For Dummies' which is not something i wanted.

These things have their markets without question but it's not something that appeals to me personally for my specific purposes.

• Paid Members
I fully understand your point however it does not address the fact that, looks aside, the websites 'feel' very similar which is something I strongly dislike and was one of the major arguments against using database driven (such as CMS) styles.

In what way, "feels" the same? That's the point I'm not quite understanding.

In what way, "feels" the same? That's the point I'm not quite understanding.

They are all based on almost identical back-ends.

You can go to wwe.com for example, then PBW, then 1PW, then wrestling website x, then wrestling website y, then z, etc. For the most part they feel like they are simply divisions of the same company. They look different but feel the same.

At the end of the day, yes they are all wrestling promotions and there are tried and tested methods of promoting such things and yes, the websites for said promotions still have to adhere to the basic square design which appears on monitors so some similarities are unavoidable. However there's a distinct lack of individualism.

Since you referred to YFS's designs, I took the liberty of visiting the site and looking at the case studies. With the exception of one, colours and images aside, they are almost interchangeable.

Much in the same way a wrestling news site or even a forum such as UKFF, is going to look different but feel very similar.

Archived