Over Payement Of JSA

Kata Ha Jime

I just got a letter through saying from the 9th September to the 15th October I was over paid as my circumstances changed.

My circumstances have never changed, I went through an ordeal trying to prove my girlfriend didn't live here so I wasn't paid from the 21st October til the 15th December.

I have an appointment on Friday so hopefully I'l get some advice but I'm confused as the 9th is the date I started claiming (I think) and I wasn't paid for around three weeks. Really unsure as to where they got this from.

Just ask them for as much clarification as they can give you over the phone just now, then tell them the circumstances when you go in. Make sure you know all the dates and whatnot backwards, as they may try to catch you out if you can't be certain about anything. If possible, get anything they tell you put in writing and, if you have them, take copies of any correspondence you or they have sent discussing the case. Also, from now on get a signed receipt for any documents you hand over to them. When they've screwed up, things tend to "go missing".

The odds are that it's just a cock-up somewhere that will sort itself out, but it's worth being prepared. They often fix things themselves when the errors come to light, but things move faster if you kick up a stink.

All that will happen, if you're still claiming, is they'll gradually take what they feel is owed to them from your fortnightly payments. They won't just order you give them the money back, it'll be done over a time period. Unless you sign off and find employment, then it'll be worked out differently and you'll probably need to send the money back to them.

EDIT : ^^ Agreed with the bloke above. Wether its the right decision or the wrong one, get all the details in place and be prepared to fight your corner.

The Job Center is a joke these days, I was told my claim was under review, I had been signing on since March 2010 for about 5 months. Turns out, someone (My ex most likely) informed them that I was working while signing on which I wasn't. So the claim went under review and they eventually stopped my JSA and I need to wait for another few weeks before I can re-claim. Nonsense. I've been living of scraping a few quid together and winning some cash at the bookies or fruit machines in the local pub while mates buy me drinks. Thankfully it hasn't been as bad as it could have been or is for other people.

What's worse is, the Job Center staff don't care if you get paid, or you get a job or anything. To them, its just their job and as long as they get paid all is right with the world. I appealed my decision twice, but they upheld their decision. I was outraged at the time, but I now can't be arsed arguing so I'm going to let time pass and either find work or re-claim when I'm allowed to.

• Paid Members

It depends on a) what excuse you give them, and b) what your circumstances are. They can't leave you with absolutely nothing.

Be very wary of taking the applications that they suggest for you, as they will check up on these ones, and if you don't apply, then you're eligable for JSA being stopped.

I fell foul of this when they gave me one for either Halifax or HSBC. I was up for the job right enough, but when I started filling in the online application, there were some things in the application that I had to have never done (ie: go into unauthorised overdraft, miss payments on credit card, etc..) for me to be eligable. As I was no longer suitable for the job, I just thought fuck it, and left it incomplete. I was due a meeting about that incident when I got this job I'm at now.

They can't leave you with absolutely nothing.

Yes they can. If they've even got a hint that something is dodgy, they can stop your payments straight off and tell you to apply for a crisis loan, but these days that isn't guaranteed regardless of the situation.

• Paid Members
All that will happen, if you're still claiming, is they'll gradually take what they feel is owed to them from your fortnightly payments. They won't just order you give them the money back, it'll be done over a time period. Unless you sign off and find employment, then it'll be worked out differently and you'll probably need to send the money back to them.

EDIT : ^^ Agreed with the bloke above. Wether its the right decision or the wrong one, get all the details in place and be prepared to fight your corner.

The Job Center is a joke these days, I was told my claim was under review, I had been signing on since March 2010 for about 5 months. Turns out, someone (My ex most likely) informed them that I was working while signing on which I wasn't. So the claim went under review and they eventually stopped my JSA and I need to wait for another few weeks before I can re-claim. Nonsense. I've been living of scraping a few quid together and winning some cash at the bookies or fruit machines in the local pub while mates buy me drinks. Thankfully it hasn't been as bad as it could have been or is for other people.

What's worse is, the Job Center staff don't care if you get paid, or you get a job or anything. To them, its just their job and as long as they get paid all is right with the world. I appealed my decision twice, but they upheld their decision. I was outraged at the time, but I now can't be arsed arguing so I'm going to let time pass and either find work or re-claim when I'm allowed to.

Never really had this much trouble with them, applied for a few jobs they gave me whilst I was on JSA sent me to a 'Job Club' to update my CV and now work in a Marriot Hotel/Leisure Centre and met great new friends, found them very helpful when my previous employer announced cutbacks. (was a case of me jumping before I was pushed)

It depends on a) what excuse you give them, and b) what your circumstances are. They can't leave you with absolutely nothing.

Be very wary of taking the applications that they suggest for you, as they will check up on these ones, and if you don't apply, then you're eligable for JSA being stopped.

I fell foul of this when they gave me one for either Halifax or HSBC. I was up for the job right enough, but when I started filling in the online application, there were some things in the application that I had to have never done (ie: go into unauthorised overdraft, miss payments on credit card, etc..) for me to be eligable. As I was no longer suitable for the job, I just thought fuck it, and left it incomplete. I was due a meeting about that incident when I got this job I'm at now.

I think i should be ok and the thing is i would never of got that job in the 1st place cause i have never worked in that line of work

They've become WAY stricter about that stuff since the Tories got in. If you don't think you can apply for a job, DO NOT TAKE IT FROM YOUR ADVISER. If you're not sure, tell them straight up that you're not sure and tell them you'll grab it from the Jobpoints and look at it at home. Provided you're clearly making other efforts to find and apply for jobs, that shouldn't be a problem. But if you've taken a job from them said you'd apply for it, then you've broken your Jobseeker's Agreement by not applying for it.

It may just be the Govan Job Center that are a bunch of arrogant, incompetent tossers then. Doubt it though, I'm sure most of the Job Centers around the country are like that.

Haha. They are the biggest pile of cunts I have ever had the misfortune to deal with. The fat bitch on the door is a complete, well, bitch. They treat you like a piece of shit. Ugly fuckers.

Archived