Video streaming questions

dangerously420

Hello there. I would like to know from any experts here a few questions about streaming live content.

My first question is in the UK what is the highest quality live stream that you can view on a computer? ( I am more wanting an answer such as technical specs not the next man Utd game.)

My second question is what is the highest quality stream that you can view on a home computer if the following number of users are watching the same stream? 500 users, 1000 users, 2000 users and 5000 users?

What type of internet connection and hardware specification would be required to make things possible of the best quality as discussed in the first question?

Most stream quality are dependent on the person streaming the content. I've seen some very low quality streams and some very very high quality streams (Football, Wrestling and even TV) and the best site I've seen for streaming stuff like that these days is Veetle. Again it all depends on the person streaming. Not sure of the actual details but I know of one person who streams in the best High Definition quality from his TV. The picture is very clear and my internet connection sometimes struggles to cope if I've got multiple things running. So its very high quality.

If you've ever streamed anything from WWE.com or TNA's website, actual live content you'll understand how good/bad those streams are and they are massive companies to thousands (If not millions) of people at any one time. So the amount of people you want to watch your content is going to matter. If its ten people, you should use higher quality, if its ten thousand you'll have issues using very high quality.

Probably no help at all though

• Paid Members
Bump

Have you Googled this? Looked on Wikipedia at their video streaming article (which will no doubt also talk about the technology required, advantages and disadvantages) and more than likely a comparison of video streaming providers/services...?

Hi there the reason for my questioning was due to the following situation.

I am a member of the Live Pub Poker League. We are a UK wide league which hosts free to join and free to participate live poker games. The objective of the league as a member is to play at weekly games to accumulate league table points. When you accumulate enough points you qualify for every 2 month regional finals. The regional finals you play for national points and then once a year we have a big national game where we take over a whole caravan park and have 700 people play over three days to win a seat worth $10,000 USD plus 5 star accomodation for one of the big game tournaments in Las Vegas.

What the league was looking to do was to use the means of internet streaming to show live the final 3 to 4 hours play of the national final to the other members of the Live Pub Poker League who did not qualify but would perhaps like to watch with interest the final few hours of play of the nationals. The league was wanting to know information such as how many people could watch the stream at say a television quality without any buffering or lagging issues? What kind of computer specification would members have to have at home to acheive this? What internet connection settings would people have to have at home to view at the desired quality?

In the venue what kind of hardware would the league require to do the live broadcast?

The league would like some means of being able to charge a nominal fee of

• Paid Members

uStream is an option, but obviously you're at the mercy of a free site and service then.

The usual route would be to have a camera at your end linked to a computer that then takes the input of the camera and instead of writing to tape or whatever, instead is streaming. You can then set up a web page which requires a log in to view the video player.

I don't know enough about the specifics of video streaming and it's not my fort

Archived