The Dragon Gate thread

JLM

11/23/2006 Osaka, Osaka Prefectural Gym, Main Arena1. Akira Tozawa, Taku Iwasa, Takayuki Mori vs. K-ness, Yamato Onodera, Keni'chiro Arai2. Ryo Saito, Genki Horiguchi vs. Shingo Takagi, Cyber Kong3. Ryuukon 10 Match Series Finale: Yasushi Kanda vs. Geni'chiro Tenryu4. IJ Title: Pentagon Black vs. Masaaki Mochizuki5. Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, Magniutde Kishiwada, Kevin Steen vs. BxB Hulk, Jyushin Thunder Lyger, Jack Evans, Matt Sydal6. Hair vs. Hair, Pinfall, Give Up, KO Only: CIMA vs. Gamma7. Open the Dream Gate: Susumu Yokosuka vs. Don Fujii

11/23 is going to be a hell of a day in Japan, as apart from this, Hustle are running HustleMania - featuring The Esperanza vs Hard Gay in HG's farewell. I curse myself that I don't live in Japan.This card looks absolutely great though - can't wait to see it. Every match has some appeal. The return of K-Ness & Doi, the Japan debut of CYBER KONG~!!, more Tenryu awesomeness (Tenryu vs Mochi from Inf #52 was swank), the chance for Pentagon Black to prove whether his great match with Susumu was a fluke, MUSCLE OUTLAWS VS BLOOD GEN mutli man mayhem (with added Liger!), CIMA vs Gamma massive confrontation and a Susumu title match to finish up. Heaven.Any word on who Dick Togo will be aligned with? His dickiness suggests Muscle Outlaws, but he might fit in BloodGen too, as an opponent for Magnitude.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well im pretty new to all the Dragon Gate and Torymon stuff where is the best place to get all the up to date shows from as im fricking loving all the humor and fast paced wrestling action, just in the middle of watching Best of DG 2004 and the first couple of matches had me in stitches

PM Famous Mortimer. He does a comp called Stop Tha Music - A Florida Brothers Comp, covering late 04 and most of 05.Buy eight.The rest of it, you can get from most traders. Start at about Feb last year and buy the monthly PPVs. The recent TV shows are on well known wrestling torrent sites.

Well im really after the 2006 stuff basically, so ill see what Mortimor can do for me on that really im definately interested and possibly ill be on this thread a lot spewing up a little Dragon Gate Comments etc Cheers for the help guys what a forum this is

At the advice of JLM I finally saw Infinity 23. Enjoyed it immensly. The Do Fixer vs Blood Gen fued was marvelous and I can understand now how people have said that the ROH match was not their best match. The added heat of the elimination match just made the whole thing immense rather than just an exhibition (no matter how impressive).

I'm now up to Infinity #50... You just know heels are good when they can make you utterly hate them even if you'd like to see the opposing side go out one night and pick up a sailor who's just that little bit too rough for them. Sorry $tew, but I guess your face really is queer. Nouveau Blood Generation are awful. To quote Milk and Cheese: where is the HATE? :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I'm all up-to-date with my DG, which makes me :) .Infinity #50 was pretty good but I was really disappointed at how little of the OTG final aired. Shows 51 to 53 didn't feature a great deal in terms of storyline development but I dug Tozawa's groups rivalry with the MO'z, and I was really impressed with Jack Evans. I know some people have a violent dislike for the young lad but he's adapted to the style and DG's workers really well and I don't think his style is at all out of place in this promotion.Finally, I also watched th 23/11 pay-per-view this morning, which I guess means I need to use those spoiler tags for some brief thoughts. (EDIT: The spoiler tags aren't working so I've posted my thoughts in white in the box below- hover over to reveal text)

It was an OK show. The opener was too short to be anything. It was nice seeing Takagi back but I have no earthly idea why they are modelling Cyber Kong on freakin' Gronda (complete with scribbled on six-pack definition *sighs*) and he was in the ring way too much (ten seconds of ring time would've been ideal). I fear that Magu is morphing into a Japanese Pena, with all that entails. :wacko: Kanda was squashed by Tenryu, and by that we're talking virtually no offence. He was out there being all Larry Santo, which made me sad. Mochizuki vs. Pentagon Black was the first good match of the night and the subsequent eight-man with Liger was really good but still lacked something (you'll understand when you watch the match).CIMA vs. Gamma was way overbooked and it was pretty mediocre. These two just haven't really clicked, which is surprising.The main event was the best match of the night. It was long but they busted out a great closing stretch for a ****1/4 match. I'm not keen on the idea of giving people titles just because they've been around for ages and is used as reward for hard work and loyalty. Fujii has been a great servant but he's not 'ace' material. Still, this sets things up for a MO'z title reign when Fujii drops the belt so we may well see Gamma have a decent title run next year.All in all, the show was decent but considering they've cut way down on pay-per-view events this year, this show should've been significantly better.

Sorry $tew, but I guess your face really is queer. Nouveau Blood Generation are awful.

Oh, but, but, but... :( I don't know what to tell you - Every BloodGen vs Muscle Outlaws match I see is just a riot of awesomeness, full of jaw-dropping moves (usually from my boy JACK~!), outrageous heelery from the MOz (often from Gamma), and the most effective heel ref I've ever seen in the shape of Kinta whatsisname. I totally fucking HATE it when he screws the babyfaces CONSTANTLY, and I am forever screaming at my computer screen for the babyfaces to get their revenge. That's good pro wrestling, right there.Me and MOJ watched Infinity #52 recently which had only a couple of BloodGen vs MOz matches, and concentrated more on the Tozawa Juku vs MOz stuff with the flag dude and Kinta and so on... and know what? I couldn't have been any less moved. None of the matches caused me to give a single shit about Tozawa Juku, and I wasn't able to get behind them at all. I was bored. It took (of all things) Gamma & Kevin Steen vs CIMA & Jack Evans to draw me back in (that was the insane match where CIMA and Gamma swapped costumes and did each other's mannerisms and spots).The only other really fantastic thing on recent DG TV blocks (apart from the aforementioned Blood vs Muscle feud) has been Genichiro Tenryu taking on Mochi and Don Fujii in a series of matches. God, those things rule.Also, I need more Do Fixer on these shows. They've been very much downplayed recently.

Rejoice, for I have the 23/11 show and will finally be able to see some up-to-date DG!My viewing has been pencilled in for about April.

• Paid Members

The only other really fantastic thing on recent DG TV blocks (apart from the aforementioned Blood vs Muscle feud) has been Genichiro Tenryu taking on Mochi and Don Fujii in a series of matches. God, those things rule.

I'd have to disagree. I'm as big a Tenryu fan as anyone, but his presence only makes the company appear bush league. He's out there making everyone look tiny, he gives his opponents little offence, he barely sells and the matches aren't anything to write home about (they're not bad but I'm not going to going to drag the cursor back to watch those matches again). The convincing win over Fujii in the TV block before Fujii's big pay-per-view ODG title match was especially retarded. Quite simply, I don't see the point in DG using Tenryu other than Magu being able to give paydays to his childhood hero and current karaoke bar buddy.

The only other really fantastic thing on recent DG TV blocks (apart from the aforementioned Blood vs Muscle feud) has been Genichiro Tenryu taking on Mochi and Don Fujii in a series of matches. God, those things rule.

I'd have to disagree. I'm as big a Tenryu fan as anyone, but his presence only makes the company appear bush league. He's out there making everyone look tiny, he gives his opponents little offence, he barely sells and the matches aren't anything to write home about (they're not bad but I'm not going to going to drag the cursor back to watch those matches again). The convincing win over Fujii in the TV block before Fujii's big pay-per-view ODG title match was especially retarded. Quite simply, I don't see the point in DG using Tenryu other than Magu being able to give paydays to his childhood hero and current karaoke bar buddy.
Not sure what to say other than I really get a kick out of the relative bizarreness of Genichiro Tenryu facing guys like Mochi & Fujii. I think on the last couple of TV blocks I've seen Tenryu face Don Fujii twice and Mochi once, and all three definitely entertained - especially the Mochizuki one.Okay, the DG guys should have picked up the rub by beating the old bastard (I think Tenryu beat them each time), but I still have enough respect for Tenryu that it's cool seeing those two be fairly competitive with a former Triple Crown and IWGP Champ. I suppose in a way, that's maybe the Japanese mentality - and that both men are elevated by their performances against a certifiable legend - "Mr Puroresu", as it were. Although, maybe it *is* just Magu giving paydays to his childhood hero.

I don't know what to tell you - Every BloodGen vs Muscle Outlaws match I see is just a riot of awesomeness, full of jaw-dropping moves (usually from my boy JACK~!), outrageous heelery from the MOz (often from Gamma), and the most effective heel ref I've ever seen in the shape of Kinta whatsisname. I totally fucking HATE it when he screws the babyfaces CONSTANTLY, and I am forever screaming at my computer screen for the babyfaces to get their revenge. That's good pro wrestling, right there.

Yeah, that's good pro wrestling.But it'd be GREAT pro wrestling if I wanted the good guys to win, as well as wanting the bad guys to get horribly destroyed. Nobody in their right mind is going to argue that MOz aren't awesome heels. Blood Generation Nouveau Gay doesn't work for me. The Americans are no use and BxB Hulk is about as Blood Generation as Rip Taylor is. Awesome heels who're beating the shit out of babyfaces I don't care about are just saving me the trouble of fast-forwarding the match.Holy shit, I'm watching #51 as I'm typing, and Dr Muscle just turned out to be Matt Tossing Sydal in disguise. After CIMA stood on Gamma's head on a bare turnbuckle in the same match. THAT IS THE GAYEST MOTHERFUCKING THING I HAVE EVER SEEN. Really.See? :(Tozawa-juku forever, says I.

C&Ped from RIM, but, fuck it, I've watched the 23/11 PPV...

EDIT: Removed cos the spoiler tags keep fucking up. If you're really that bothered about what I thought of the show, you'll have to go here.

• 4 weeks later...

This is the question I mentioned I had (on ROH thread):In all the build up to CIMA-Taka Michinoku from 5th October 2005, there was this thing with the passports. What was the backstory to that? Despite not getting that, I enjoyed the match! Rob.

• Paid Members

From PWNospywareformecozimanelitesubscribersothere:

Dragon's Gate announced today in Japan that they would be sending CIMA, Masaaki Mochizuki, Susumu Yokosuka, Dragon Kid, Ryo Saito, Genki Horiguchi, and Shingo Takagi to the Ring of Honor events in Detroit, Michigan on 3/30 and 3/31 during Wrestlemania 23 weekend. Dragon's Gate sent many of the same talents to last year's ROH events in Chicago the weekend of Wrestlemania 22. That led to one of the best matches of 2006, a six man tag featuring Blood Generation of CIMA & Naruki Doi & Masato Yoshino vs. Do Fixer of Ryo Saito & Genki Horiguchi & Dragon Kid during ROH's "Supercard of Honor" event.

Archived