Eddie Guerrero

Guest Nigel Law

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I'm not jumping on the wagon yet. I wanna see stone cold proof first :).

Piss-poor, blatant attempt to cover your ass (yeah, I hate Brits saying asss instead of arse just as next as the next person, but 'cover your arse' just doesn't sound right) from more 'RIM wannabe' comments.Just thought I'd let you know...Killa
It honestly wasn't. read any law review thread I have always gave positive feedback to what i thought was a great writer. I have nothing against Nigel but I just hope this isn't true.

It honestly wasn't. read any law review thread I have always gave positive feedback to what i thought was a great writer. I have nothing against Nigel but I just hope this isn't true.

I wasn't saying you were...As for "hope this isn't true" then surely you've just read Law's comments? Not proof enough for you?I, for one, choose to believe him when he says he didn't rip the article in question. (Mandatory Comment in these sort of threads: No, I'm not some sort of Nigel Law mark; I can't remember replying to any of his articles and, if I did, I doubt it was extravagantly praiseful - I don't find his articles that engaging).John

BR - I'm probably being a bit harsh on Mo. I've been aware he doesn't like me for a while so perhaps thats why I'm being unsympathetic- BUT while I say that I think this is all a bit ironic. A year ago Mo was accused of copying Meltz's review of Kobashi/Misawa. He didn't seem too happy about that, when the boot's on the other foot he seems happy to swing it. I just think had this happened in reverse time this thread would be deliciously different- I got a bit overexcited with the conspiracy stuff. I just have a sincere distaste for this kind of thing, that a group of people that were once so pro someone can turn on them so quickly by jumping to a common conclusion. One of the more sucky parts of the human psyche I think. If I've come accross as trying to get at you at all it's just because you were the first person to step infront of a bullet so to speak. You still post like Ray though :pMOJ- Would you not think advocating someone to commit suicide and holding a grudge against them for calling you a ginger cunt is more than a little co-edic? I sure as hell would- and please, find these love threads I've posted about Volk Han :) . If you dislike it that much go and argue with Tabe, Jack, Jerad etc on it. It's a free world and I'm willing to let you. Slagging it off to a joshi fanboy is more than a little pointless$tew - Again didn't mean to get at you specifically dude. I continue to like you and you sat on the fence (I didn't have time to make apologies ;-) ) . I do see the similarities BUT I don't see the big deal on it. None of either column is revolutionary or throws ideas up that you can't find on a thousand messageboards. That leads me towards coincidence. Especially as Nige has no track record of this kind of thing

I wasn't saying you were...As for "hope this isn't true" then surely you've just read Law's comments? Not proof enough for you?I, for one, choose to believe him when he says he didn't rip the article in question. (Mandatory Comment in these sort of threads: No, I'm not some sort of Nigel Law mark; I can't remember replying to any of his articles and, if I did, I doubt it was extravagantly praiseful - I don't find his articles that engaging).John
I had totally missed Nigel's reply at the time of my last post, but have read it now. And do I belive him? Yes I do. I've said before Nigel is a great writer and have nothing against the guy so I don't see why I shouldn't belive him here.

I think your taking too much offence to that statement. I interpreted that comment a completely different way, basically Nigels producing column after column and while he is probably appreciative of the praise he's not exactly reaping the rewards of all the hard work he's putting in (which is through choice, I know). I think Nige is just a bit burned out by it all and people should lay off a bit.

Perhaps I did misinterpret that remark, but I stand by what I said. I'm not particularly offended by what he said, but it seems to me that he's trying to use the apparently scarce feedback he received as one of the reasons for his 'cry for help/plagiarised article/coincidence call it what you will.

Unless anyone produces some solid evidence of other 'ripped' articles, it really is hard to say. I can read an article on CNN, then BBC or what have you, and if they are the same, then its a co-incidence, they are hardly likely to copy each other.

I'm probably being a bit harsh on Mo. I've been aware he doesn't like me for a while so perhaps thats why I'm being unsympathetic- BUT while I say that I think this is all a bit ironic. A year ago Mo was accused of copying Meltz's review of Kobashi/Misawa. He didn't seem too happy about that, when the boot's on the other foot he seems happy to swing it. I just think had this happened in reverse time this thread would be deliciously different

Perhaps I'm missing something, but when has Mo Chatra accused Nigel Law of 'ripping' his work?

• Paid Members

Rob, you interpreted the following statement by me as meaning that I was ripping into Nigel:

Nigel told me on MSN last night that due various reasons he will no longer be launching The Wrestling Times.Furthermore, Nigel is no longer with Shootfabe. I wish him the best with his future endeavours.

Please do elaborate, because I'm totally at a loss to explain how you arrived at such a conclusion from that statement.Also:

I'm probably being a bit harsh on Mo. I've been aware he doesn't like me for a while so perhaps thats why I'm being unsympathetic- BUT while I say that I think this is all a bit ironic. A year ago Mo was accused of copying Meltz's review of Kobashi/Misawa. He didn't seem too happy about that, when the boot's on the other foot he seems happy to swing it. I just think had this happened in reverse time this thread would be deliciously different

Rob, I've got nothing against you, mate. Sure, I disagree with some of your views, and I think Ray is a toe-rag, but there's no dislike aimed at you from yours truly. I can assure you of that. Even after those tirades earlier in this thread. ;) Also, nobody accused me of copying Meltzer's review of that match. As it happens, I actually posted that review on the UKFF before his review appeared in the Observer, IIRC. And that's why I don't understand this whole 'happy to swing (the boot)' comment, because I've not said anything remotely derogatory about Nigel anywhere on this forum. Edited by MoChatra

That Eddie Guerrero has a lot to answer for......As I haven't seen the Powerslam article I cannot comment on wether the original post had been plagirised or not. It seems pretty clear that the two articles have remarkable similarities. I guess it's a matter of judgement. In my opinion (and it is only that) I think it's a bit suss. Going off the earlier post, the way that the articles are structured it seems that Nigel Law has indeed plagirised which is bang out of order. I really hope he hasn't as I have always enjoyed his articles in the past.What I think posters have to consider is that in researching any wrestling article a variety of sources are likely to be used. Indeed, I know Powerslam writers in the past have used 'The Wrestling Observer' for information when writing articles. If I was to write an article about Eddie Guerrero's recent history the first thing I would do is jot down everything I thought was significant about his career. I would also admittadly look through others people's recent articles and his shoot interview to see if there is anything obvious that I have missed out. Then I would check the internet and resources like the observer to check my dates, venues etc. Clearly, most writers do not have an encyclopedic memory. For example, I'd mention him getting fired, his return to form on the indies and return to the company etc. Also, there is bound to be a degree of repitition when writing about wrestling because we are dealing with events, matches etc. which have already happened. I think when you see more or less identical opinions expressed in articles then you have a case for plagirism i.e. the fans reaction at the Impact show and his PPV outing against Rob Van Dam.I used to write for a number of fanzines concerning, movies, politics, music etc. and continually sought feedback. I can understand Nigel Law's feelings on the issue - 'is it all worth it'. Well, I made the decision a few years ago that it wasn't. Sometimes I am desperately wanting to get involved in wrestling journalism, not as a career but as a laugh but there are a number of reasons why I don't. First of all, to reiterate what Nigel has said - it is too serious, nobody seems to have fun when writing a wrestling article. If I was to write it would be more light hearted. Secondly, I don't consider myself to have enough knowedge about the wrestling business even though I eat, sleep and drink wrestling. Like I said earlier, I'd have to use other peoples resources. Why do something other people do better. Therefore I can really understand Law's feelings on the issue although that doesn't take away from the plagirism accusation, and the credibility issues surrounding it.

I don't know Nigel but from his stuff that I have read on here it has always been really good and stuff taht I have enjoyed. This is a wrestling forum some people really need to chill out. I hope to in the future read more articles from Nigel. I'm not stating that ripping off powerslam if he did was right but cut the guy a bitta slack. I think that Harold Shipman comment was way outta line